Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Ice Age Britain
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 10, 2010 22:56

I saw this rather striking photo and had to post it and ask how are my fellow IORRians holding up in snow bound Britain?

Re: OT: Ice Age Britain
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 10, 2010 23:00

Yeah amazing shot ...... Already in the winter thread Chris

ROCKMAN

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: January 10, 2010 23:08

I'll swap some hot stuff for your ice. 43oC here today.

Where's the green?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 10, 2010 23:35

ChrisM
I saw this rather striking photo and had to post it and ask how are my fellow IORRians holding up in snow bound Britain?

It's f f f f f f f f ***ing cold, that's what !! Usual s**t, country running out of salt to put on the roads, not enough ploughs, people trapped in their homes, transport chaos, schools closed, old folks dying, the news full of "this is costing the economy zillions and trillions per nanosecond in lost business" type bulletins ......... and Gordon Brown smiling throughout. What else is new ? This is Brittania people, we had an empire once. Is it any f***ing wonder we ain't got one any more ? The words piss up and brewery spring to mind !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-10 23:41 by paulywaul.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 10, 2010 23:36

Rockman
Yeah amazing shot ...... Already in the winter thread Chris
Ah thanks Terry. I thought the thread was about the song and not the weather so hadn't read it. The "OT" in front of it should have been a clue!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-10 23:38 by ChrisM.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: January 10, 2010 23:46

It's like this over much of the Northern Hemisphere right now.

CBII

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: January 11, 2010 00:13

I don't think that this winter is (yet) anything so hard as the '62-63 one, when Mick, Keith and Brian were sharing the Edith Grove flat together ........

any photos of that winter?

anyways - hard winters weren't so unusual then and people could cope and life went on - regardless of road grit - because people had real grit!

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: January 11, 2010 00:21

Snows melting here. So not all bad. My gas bill is gonna be thru the roof though.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 11, 2010 01:08

Deluxtone
anyways - hard winters weren't so unusual then and people could cope and life went on - regardless of road grit - because people had real grit!

That's right!

When I was a young boy, I walked six miles through ten feet of snow to get to school.....

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 11, 2010 01:35

People are panic buying!

Last night at around 9.00, I popped out to two leading supermarkets (Tesco and Sainsburys), only to find that each of them were completely sold out of milk and bread!

Worse than that, Liverpool's home game with Spurs was called off!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 11, 2010 09:34

All the here-comes-the-Ice-Age in the media is rubbish - we just haven't had anything like a real winter in the UK for a while.

I'll now start sounding like the Oldest Inhabitant and say that I remember the 1962/63 winter - before Christmas not much snow but endless freezing fog: then after Christmas it snowed and snowed and snowed and didn't really thaw for weeks. The snow got in under our tiles into the loft - I remember having to go up there and fill buckets with the stuff before it had a chance to melt and drip through the ceiling. Frost on the inside of the bedroom windows most mornings - we had no heating upstairs at all and only open fires downstairs, and we kept the gas oven lit to provide a bit of extra heat. We weren't a particularly poor household - houses in London weren't designed for that sort of weather.

The west of England had it particularly bad: my uncle and aunt in Dorset had to cope with lanes filled with snow up to the tops of the hedges (6 - 8 feet?). Villages were cut off and food dropped by helicopter: I also remember food being dropped to ponies and livestock on Dartmoor. The sea froze in some places (practically unknown in the UK).

The interesting thing is that I don't remember my school ever being closed (which they do these days at the first sight of a snowflake) - it was just assumed that you'd make every effort to get there. Boys made long ice-slides in the playground, which Health and Safety would ban these days, and I remember one snowball battle that went on all day up and down our road, involving all the local kids.

The trouble is that the UK doesn't have a severe winter quite often enough for it to be financially worthwhile to spend money preparing for it - so it catches us on the hop every damn time! Lots of those 1963 pictures could have been taken this week: only the fashions and the makes of the cars have changed.

Date: January 11, 2010 09:46

Thanks Green Lady .... you describe it well

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 11, 2010 10:36

I agree with Lady Green. I don't think this winter has been worse than the ones we had in 1978/79, 81/82 and 91/92. We get them once a decade.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 11, 2010 10:37

snow melting - getting back to some sort of normality

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: January 11, 2010 10:49

NickB
Snows melting here. So not all bad. My gas bill is gonna be thru the roof though.

No melting here. And my electricity bill.. whaddaya think smiling smiley ..
After three weeks of -30 C degrees... sad smiley
Tropical-ish -6 now. Only one meter snow sofar,
we are prepare to meet next snow attack. Use to be one hefty such in mid-Januari..

Edited: Sorry, perhaps should made my contribution in the general Winter-thread..
Just findin it interestin' with the English winter.
Read an interesting article in my mornin' paper about the oscillation:
it is the fact that warm weather is rulin' the present East Siberian climate right now
which make the chill area movin' more westwards than it use to.
Here another text on the oscillation. [ncwatch.typepad.com]
(the author believes it is the sun that rules the climate.
Still, somewhere - read: the Pacific - it ought to be warmer that "normal" )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-11 10:58 by Back Of My Palm.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 11, 2010 11:55

A good friend of mine is living near Oxford .She told me yesterday they have had snow for the last 5 days and the schools have been closed since Wednesday. The roads were quite snowy and icy as only the main roads have been cleared so they had mainly been walking around the village...

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: January 11, 2010 12:00

studiorambo
I'll swap some hot stuff for your ice. 43oC here today.

Where's the green?

I was just reading this :

[www.heraldsun.com.au]

Rockman,forgot to ask you if you had air cooled/condiioned ? Yes I guess you have.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: January 11, 2010 12:07

Yeah 44c here today ....... Nope goin' bare-back not using any air-con ....

Same with slippers ... stubbie holders and beer pots with
handles when ya need them things you ain't far from the rest-home ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: January 11, 2010 13:55

Rockman
Yeah 44c here today ....... Nope goin' bare-back not using any air-con ....

Same with slippers ... stubbie holders and beer pots with
handles when ya need them things you ain't far from the rest-home ....

Mmmm nice cold stubbie of that fine Vic

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 11, 2010 14:18

Ahh, I missed yesterdays snowball fight at the local park.
the flash mob made the appointment via Facebook.
the neighboring district Neukölln challenged Kreuzberg - nobody was seriously hurt ( except some frozen a$$ and fingers) and all of them won. smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-11 14:21 by open-g.

Date: January 11, 2010 15:05

SwayStones
A good friend of mine is living near Oxford .She told me yesterday they have had snow for the last 5 days and the schools have been closed since Wednesday. The roads were quite snowy and icy as only the main roads have been cleared so they had mainly been walking around the village...

Reckon ya Brits have to create routines for snowier winters. smiling smiley
I have never ever experienced a closed school due to snow or chill.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 11, 2010 16:02

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: January 11, 2010 21:07

Now that the pavements are safe to walk on again, they've given heavy snow for S. Wales tonight & tomorrow! My son's just hoping for more time off school

Date: January 11, 2010 21:15

Back Of My Palm
SwayStones

Reckon ya Brits have to create routines for snowier winters. smiling smiley
I have never ever experienced a closed school due to snow or chill.

I ain't Brit ....but I got nasty habits ,I drink tea at 8 a.m smiling smiley

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 12, 2010 01:43

open-g
Ahh, I missed yesterdays snowball fight at the local park.
the flash mob made the appointment via Facebook.
the neighboring district Neukölln challenged Kreuzberg - nobody was seriously hurt ( except some frozen a$$ and fingers) and all of them won. smiling bouncing smiley

oh i love the görlitzer park. had a flat at "ohlauerstrasse" for a while...great neighbourhood. where do you live open-g? hang around at "wild at heart" sometimes?...

Date: January 12, 2010 02:12

SwayStones, sorry.. Oxford was mentioned, and I thought..
Reckon there are many Oxfors's.. ?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 12, 2010 02:44

I hope y'all can live OK when the Gulf Stream shuts down and stops flowing that way. You think it's cold now...

Date: January 12, 2010 03:02

By that day neither we nor our kids will live.
The chill now is due to the sun (lack of solar storm acticity) or global heating.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 12, 2010 03:11

I think it's the tail of El Nino smiling bouncing smiley

Edit a smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-12 03:49 by NICOS.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: January 12, 2010 03:41

WHAT'S ICE AND SNOW???? - No Comprendo.....

SAME AS IT EVER WAS - VENICE BEACH with Perry Farrell's SATTELLITE PARTY live on the beach for FREE !!!

HARD LIFE JUST GOT EASY

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1510
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home