Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ginger Baker
Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: January 9, 2010 01:20

I don't know if anyone caught the "7 Ages of Rock" on ABC (Australia) the other night. Episode 1 featured 1965 as a pivotal year and featured the Stones, the Who, Kinks, Dylan, Cream and others. Ginger Baker, who I always suspected was a bit of a tosser, took the opportunity to make several sarcastic remarks about the Stones and went on to describe Cream as the best band that ever was or will be. Came across as a complete @#$%& in my view. Cream were a good band granted, but nothing like the depth or influence of the Stones. And Tales of Brave Uylsses is close to Stairway to Heaven for the most ridiculous lyrics in a rock song award.

Re: Ginger Baker
Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 9, 2010 01:25

Yeah, I saw it ozziestone, and thought the same thing about Ginger Baker- came across as big headed and full of his own importance. Some good stuff on the stones - wish I would have recorded it.

Date: January 9, 2010 01:30

yes I enjoyed Keith's croaky rendition of Satisfaction on the aucostic guitar. also enjoyed my wife's comment when watching the Stones 1965-"wasn't Keith Richards in the band then"?

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 9, 2010 01:36

Yes, it was certainly a version from a different angle!-my missus ( not being as fanatical about the stones as I am) saw the Ginger Baker bits and said that Charlie would never talk like that, and I have to agree with her.Really liked Keiths acoustic segments.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: January 9, 2010 01:38

Ginger Baker can be a strange man with odd statements. BUT he was part of an important stream in the British Blues / Jazz / R&B scene in the 60s and 70s. I've read his biography. It's amazing how his life have been lived, but indeed... he can be a uhhhhh odd. LOL

Date: January 9, 2010 01:44

what's he done since Cream? not much as far as I know

Date: January 9, 2010 01:49

ozziestone

He has joined Blind Faith (with Clapton and Winwood) in 1969. After that he formed Ginger Baker's Airforce. After this band he went often to Africa with his Range Rover. He met and played with Fela Kuti a lot. They were good friends. Ginger travels a lot, but always had some incidents with drugs, police, dealers, family's, members of polo clubs.
It's a miracle he survived most of those incidents.

Date: January 9, 2010 01:52

OK he sounds like an interesting guy. But he needs to learn respect!

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: January 9, 2010 01:56

ozziestone
yes I enjoyed Keith's croaky rendition of Satisfaction on the aucostic guitar. also enjoyed my wife's comment when watching the Stones 1965-"wasn't Keith Richards in the band then"?

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Date: January 9, 2010 01:56

ozziestone
OK he sounds like an interesting guy. But he needs to learn respect!

It's just an attitude. Don't worry. In his biography he speaks very highly of Charlie Watts and Eric Clapton and some other jazz artists (Buddy Rich, Art Blakey, Max Roach). I think he feels close to Charlie, because Charlie recommended Ginger to Alexis Korner. No egos here. Just beautiful.

Date: January 9, 2010 02:31

I seem to remember a rumour that after the RnR Hall of Fame induction of Cream, the band met to talk about a Cream reunion and Ginger pulled a knife on Jack Bruce during an argument. And that's what kept them from doing it for so long. Anyone else hear that.

Scotty

Date: January 9, 2010 02:35

[email protected]
I seem to remember a rumour that after the RnR Hall of Fame induction of Cream, the band met to talk about a Cream reunion and Ginger pulled a knife on Jack Bruce during an argument. And that's what kept them from doing it for so long. Anyone else hear that.

Scotty

I haven't read that one. But I do know that Ginger and Jack really annoy each other a lot. Accusing each other of playing too loud or wrong notes. That's why Eric couldn't tour and with these guys anymore.

But you're right, Scotty. That Fame induction wasn't a success according to Giner Baker.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: January 9, 2010 03:50

DiamondDog7
ozziestone

He has joined Blind Faith (with Clapton and Winwood) in 1969. After that he formed Ginger Baker's Airforce. After this band he went often to Africa with his Range Rover. He met and played with Fela Kuti a lot. They were good friends. Ginger travels a lot, but always had some incidents with drugs, police, dealers, family's, members of polo clubs.
It's a miracle he survived most of those incidents.

Played with Fela Kuti! That alone propels the man way above most. Very impressive indeed!

CBII

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 9, 2010 04:26

There was a great article on GB a year or so ago in Rolling Stone magazine. The guy seems like an interesting guy, suffering from a lot of pain due to illness, but a total and complete raging jerk. Supposedly he still can play drums quite well, and is an established polo player.

Posted by: backstage ()
Date: January 9, 2010 08:58

..... ya shoulda saw him with blind faith, , classic!

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: January 9, 2010 09:36

one of the luckiest musicians alive, not amazing, though good enough. Amazingly on my list of top 5 luckiest musicians.

01.) Ringo Starr - joins the Beatles months before stardom. Can keep time on drums, not much else special about him musically.
02.) Brian Johnson - nothing compared to Bon Scott, if AC/DC hadn't made it yet, he would not have helped in any way.
03.) Ron Wood - Come on, we all love him, but really, if he wasn't a partier I doubt he would have passed that audition in the 70's
04.) Ginger Baker - Cream could have had anyone as a drummer, plenty of better session musicians, even more so for Blind Faith, seeing as both Clapton and Winwood had proven their musical confidence.
05.) Keith - lucky to be alive

5 most unlucky:

01.) Syd Barrett - Living after having gone insane (for over 35 years!!) is a fate far worse than death. Not only for him but for those who loved him.
02.) Robert Johnson - Had he lived, he would have become huge!!! Not to mention he'd have written better material. (And we'd have more pictures)
03.) Stevie Ray Vaughan - Too long to explain.
04.) Nick Drake - Now a cult favorite, suffered from depression for a lack of a following, refused to tour as a result, had incomnia, and died of an O.D. on sleeping pills.
05.) Pete Best - See Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 9, 2010 09:53

chenry9195
one of the luckiest musicians alive, not amazing, though good enough. Amazingly on my list of top 5 luckiest musicians.

04.) Ginger Baker - Cream could have had anyone as a drummer, plenty of better session musicians, even more so for Blind Faith, seeing as both Clapton and Winwood had proven their musical confidence.

this is ridiculous--Baker was a superb player... Clapton was if anything the weak sister in that group, imo.

as for the original post--don't you think he was having a laugh? I doubt any of the Stones mind what he says.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 9, 2010 10:35

cc
chenry9195

this is ridiculous--Baker was a superb player... Clapton was if anything the weak sister in that group, imo.

as for the original post--don't you think he was having a laugh? I doubt any of the Stones mind what he says.

Agreed cc one of the alltime great drummers! Why do people get in an uproar over what Ginger says? He was never one to be politically correct and says things just to get a reaction I think...same with Keef

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 9, 2010 12:58

agreed re G Baker.

Also, I believe there's some more Altamont footage shot from a different camera which is interesting.

Date: January 9, 2010 13:20

he might have thought he was having a laugh but he came across as a tosser IMHO. tickets on himself!

Date: January 9, 2010 14:53

I like Ginger Baker - nothing wrong will self confidance.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 9, 2010 17:53

He is hilarious. What I find funny is he's slightly like Keith but way beyond.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 9, 2010 20:32

The last time I saw Baker he was still arguing onstage with Bruce @ MSG in 2005.

I also attended the RAH Cream shows in 2005 which Baker got thru okay.

At MSG in 2005 he started the wrong song a number of times and openly argued with Bruce onstage.

A good drummer in his day.

His day, as far as playing live, has passed.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: January 9, 2010 20:49

There was a gig with ginger and friends last november at the jazz cafe in London (Winwood was there, Clapton couldn't come) - with mixed reviews:
[www.drummerworld.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home