Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT - Elvis Presley has another birthday!!! Break out your 78's
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 8, 2013 23:57

That's it....no more peanut butter for me...errrrg
Time to let the kiddos have some and put on Viva Las Vegas....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2013 00:35

Jah Paul
treaclefingers
Difficult to even imagine what he would have looked like at age 78....some people are just not built to be old.

Happy B-day KING!

(No disrepect intended...miss you, Elvis - wish you were still with us!)

That would be a great look if he had survived to 78.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 9, 2013 01:23

Been putting this on repeat all day...a pure joy! A Johnnie Johnson-esque piano solo too:

Date: January 9, 2013 03:05

Good one J....
I'm wrapping up the night with Elvis On Tour.

You can't beat a day like this...

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: January 9, 2013 04:50

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 9, 2013 06:33

"

Happy Birthday!

Date: January 8, 2015 16:05

Wooohoooo!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2015 16:09

smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 8, 2015 20:10

Munich you need this torrent :
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Elvis death reports in German? Can it get hipper? >grinning smiley<

Date: January 8, 2015 21:20

dcba
Munich you need this torrent :
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Elvis death reports in German? Can it get hipper? >grinning smiley<

That is damn hip...hipper than I'll ever be.
But I was always told the big E died in Memphis...what gives?
Is it all a lie?

OT: The King's 80th bday
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 8, 2015 13:55

Remembering Elvis. We wouldn't be here on this site without him methinks. Also, happy 68th to the Thin White Duke. We could use some more Bowie!smoking smiley

Re: OT: The King's 80th bday
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 8, 2015 14:11

Yep, and let us not forget Robbie Krieger 69 today.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 8, 2015 15:30

Elvis did have a great voice, and put over some timeless songs, helped to get the kids rocking, good country white guy.

but 'the King' ..of what..? rock and roll? been thinking on this recently..saw the exhibits related to him in Nashville TN, at the Country Music Hall Of Fame. his car..his suits, etc..

I think a better case could be made for Chuck Berry as the 'king of rock and roll'..if there is such a person. certainly as influential a lyricist and guitar player as has ever been.

I guess I just never got Elvis...to me he's the king of self indulgence

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-08 15:32 by duke richardson.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 8, 2015 15:36

Elvis may have not been the founder of Rock n Roll, but he did pretty much rule it. His influence is still huge (that's an understatement) today. Maybe that's why he's called the king.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 8, 2015 15:38

Chuck Berry is more like the jester of rock and roll smoking smiley

Date: January 8, 2015 15:42

Koen
Chuck Berry is more like the jester of rock and roll smoking smiley

no question..he undermined his own work, novelty song My Ding a Ling..

what else? his career as amateur filmmaker?...

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: January 8, 2015 16:35

duke richardson
I guess I just never got Elvis

Read Peter Guralnick's Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley & Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley. You will get the importance of Elvis. These also happen to be two of the best rock bios ever written.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-08 16:37 by StonedInTokyo.

Date: January 8, 2015 16:42

StonedInTokyo
duke richardson

Read Peter Guralnick's Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley. You will get the importance of Elvis Presley. It also happens to be the best rock bio ever written.

thanks for the recommendation.

what changes the view of Elvis for me is the very thing that put him on such a pedestal..the 'idol worship'..Graceland, gold Cadillacs, all that..he became a parody of himself didn't he?

I will check that book out. thanks again

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 8, 2015 18:11

duke richardson
StonedInTokyo
duke richardson

Read Peter Guralnick's Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley. You will get the importance of Elvis Presley. It also happens to be the best rock bio ever written.

thanks for the recommendation.

what changes the view of Elvis for me is the very thing that put him on such a pedestal..the 'idol worship'..Graceland, gold Cadillacs, all that..he became a parody of himself didn't he?

I will check that book out. thanks again

You have to remember where he came from. Absolutely dirt poor in Tupelo, MS. Between that & his more than semi-crooked manager feeding the fire, things could've gotten even more out of hand. I would've loved to have seen him live. Even some of the footage from the declining years in Vegas is pretty damn good.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 8, 2015 18:26

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: January 8, 2015 18:31

So much of Elvis' stuff is timeless; anytime I go through an Elvis listening phase I'm reminded how good he was.

At the moment the wonderful "Sunrise" collection (Sun records sides, 1954-55), and the great RCA comp "Elvis '56".

Date: January 8, 2015 19:20

I don't think Elvis was ever comfortable with the title King. He had the look and the voice but my opinion was he was a momma's boy who preferred singing ballards. I look at him as a tragic figure of his own talent. His manager was a crook and only interested in the easy and fast dollar. How else can you explain the time period of 1960-1968? In the end his immense talent was wasted after 1958 although he did scartch the surface in 1968 with the tv comback show and the recordings with Chips Moman in 1969. Imagine what he could have been if he took control over his career? I always thought he could have tore it up singing Lets Spend the Night Together. Imagine if Bruce Springsteen would have made it to the door and actually got to talk to Elvis and he listened? Ahhh what could have been........Chuck Berry is the true King of Rock and Roll......

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 8, 2015 20:14

Chuck B is "The Man". He may not have invented rock'n'roll, but he formulated a sound that came to dominate. Elvis was a totally different cat who ended up being destroyed by himself and others. There is so much good stuff that was done by Elvis musically, along with the hits, but you gotta look for it.

Ain't never been to Graceland, but I went to the Holy Land - Tupelo, Mississippi - on vacation one year, on the way home from visiting family down on the Gulf coast. Talk about old America and a way of life. Saw the shotgun house Elvis and his family lived in; did a tour of the Elvis chapel/museum he helped fund and was built by his childhood home. Very humble roots. And, sitting in a local diner talking with the folks who ran it, they said Tupelo was still a divided city regarding blacks/whites, people with money/people without. They said Elvis was probably the only good thing that ever came out of Tupelo, but the upper crust there still looked upon him as white trash. This comment was made long after Presley's death.

Here's few cuts of Elvis in honor of his birthday. Dig the voice. As a black friend of mine who dug Elvis once said re Elvis, "That motherf*cker could sing anything". Enjoy.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

And where George Harrison got some of his guitar style/tone:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 8, 2015 20:37

duke richardson
Elvis did have a great voice, and put over some timeless songs, helped to get the kids rocking, good country white guy.

but 'the King' ..of what..? rock and roll? been thinking on this recently..saw the exhibits related to him in Nashville TN, at the Country Music Hall Of Fame. his car..his suits, etc..

I think a better case could be made for Chuck Berry as the 'king of rock and roll'..if there is such a person. certainly as influential a lyricist and guitar player as has ever been.

Chuck Berry influenced a lot of guitar players. But singers like Robert Plant, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen and Bob Seger all directly follow in Elvis' musical lineage. I have no problem labeling someone the king with a list of followers like that. Elvis had the voice, the rhythm and the full sound. Scotty Moore on guitar, DJ Fontana on drums and Bill Black on bass--easily one of the most important bands of rock and roll.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 9, 2015 01:38

Cristiano Radtke

Happy Birthday, ELVIS! What do you think Keith means at 3:02: "I'm left, You're Right, She's Gone--that one still foxes me--I'll have to talk to Scotty about that" ---- I get Keith means something about the guitar (and obviously asking Scotty Moore about it), but what do you think "foxes" him about it?

- swiss

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 9, 2015 01:45

Here ya go swiss...........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: January 9, 2015 02:36

duke richardson

America couldn't have coped with a black King at the time.It's like Rock and Roll supposedly starting with Bill Haley- what a load of absolute bollocks!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 9, 2015 07:02

Rockman

Jesus, Rockman -- that is amazing!!! Thank you so much! I have been asking people about this all day and people have all said "Oh, Keith just meant generally." But I could tell Keith literally meant one part of that song." I am SO pleased to know exactly that it was. Thanks again.

- swiss

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 9, 2015 07:39

swiss
Rockman

Jesus, Rockman -- that is amazing!!! Thank you so much! I have been asking people about this all day and people have all said "Oh, Keith just meant generally." But I could tell Keith literally meant one part of that song." I am SO pleased to know exactly that it was. Thanks again.

- swiss

I just did a critical listen to that tune and can't figure out exactly which lick he is talking about unless it's the one at 1:15 confused smiley But it's not that difficult...some chromatic stuff with an open string counter thrown in..maybe someone could fax Keith the tab. winking smiley I think he's probably just praising Scotty with some of his typical storytelling BS...I can just hear Scotty's response..."Keith who?". grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 9, 2015 11:12

Happy Birthday Elvis Presley, David Bowie & Shirley Bassey and don't forget my wife

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home