Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

About Mickboys remasters
Posted by: bobo ()
Date: June 12, 2007 23:24

Anyone who can help telling me the albums he has done?

Any help would be appriciated.

Re: About Mickboys remasters
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 12, 2007 23:45

What does he use as sources for these remasters?

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: June 13, 2007 13:06

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: June 13, 2007 13:46

thanks a lot

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 13, 2007 22:54

what is current opinion on these remasters? discussion of them has seemed to wane, maybe because he's done with the studio albums, or maybe because most people have moved to downloading boots online, and his work is usually banned there. I have a few and wouldn't mind grabbing the rest. they're convenient for having key unreleased tracks alongside the finished album.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 13, 2007 23:09

I usually think the outtakes sound better once he's tinkered with them. The official releases just sound like interesting variations. Well worth listening to for the different perspective it offers, but no replacement for the ABKCO or Virgin catalogs. MickBoy doesn't have access to the original master tapes, so you're still just listening to a CDR of a guy working with Japanese vinyl on his top of the line home equipment. Its better than anything I could do and he should get a job as a professional engineer for a reissue label like Rhino or Wounded Bird. His main contribution is speed correcting and properly balancing a number of outtakes that were in circulation for years in far inferior quality.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 13, 2007 23:14

I personally dont like them much.
They are sourced from vinyl which is fine, but then they are EQ'd etc and dont sound very natural to me.
Also, things like changing the running order of "Beggars Banquet" and adding tracks into albums, as opposed to adding bonus tracks at the end is rather stupid in my opinion.
I much prefer the old ABCKO & CBS cds from the 1980's or better still, a decent vinyl rip that has been left untampered.
Just an opinion though!

Posted by: doster ()
Date: June 14, 2007 04:26

I always wondered who he was and if he was still around. I liked his Exile and may of the boots.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 14, 2007 04:31

but then they are EQ'd etc and dont sound very natural to me....

Kinda like penciling in a moustache on the Mona Lisa...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: June 14, 2007 10:35

Personally, I think they are great. I only have the original albums on vinyl, so they are a major improvement to me. I didn't realise that Mickboy had remastered Satanic Majesties. Anyone able to post it?

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: June 14, 2007 11:35

The Goats Head Soup remaster he did is amazing. You can hear a lot of detail that is totally missed otherwise,especially the double tracking on the vocals. He also hits the spot, because sometimes the digital remasters sound too clinical. This version, is a fantasy version of what the band would maybe have liked the original vinyl to sound like.
Some of the sixties stuff sounds a little thin in his versions, the technology is just too far away,but still some very interesting mixes and he lays naked the recording process which is great if you know the material very well.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 14, 2007 13:06

Kinda like penciling in a moustache on the Mona Lisa...

A moustache and a menthol cigarette!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2044
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home