Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bill German on Ronnie :"WOODY'S WOES "
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 7, 2010 05:14

Bill's still pimping his book huh. The Stones taught him well about selling (out).

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: February 19, 2010 01:09

swiss
71Tele
I liked German's book perhaps because I saw myself in him - or what my own fandom COULD have led to. On the one hand I admire his pluck and envy his access; on the other I would not want to be in the position he was in of being tolerated rather than respected as an equal. Of course, this is the best a mere fan could hope for.

71Tele...that's really interesting! Thanks for sharing that. Like you, I wouldn't wanna be the tagalong/sycophant of the Stones. I respect people's privacy so much it makes me uncomfortable to hear about his relentless hounding of these guys. If he were a journalist with so much skill or insight -- a great writer rather than an ass-licker he might not have become "buds" with the Stones, but he may have had access to them -- and not quite so breathless (and at the same time self-aggrandizing) -- and they might have actually respected him.

I'm guessing you were first a fan of the music, and then the guys...? With Bill German, it seems the other way around. And I find that off-putting. Even "as a girl," that's not ever the case for me. I've been a Stones fan MUSIC since I was 4.

Even Bill G's intro to how he came to love the Stones is off. So, he's 9 years old in 1972....and he's never heard of the Rolling Stones?!?!?!! He's heard of the Beatles, he says, and Led Zep, and Pink Floyd....but not the Stones? c'mon. That's trying too hard to make a point. And plain disingenuous. That compromised the efficacy of his narrative right out the gate (for me). Further, he states that he grew up in a cramped rowhouse in Brooklyn---sorry, but dude would have heard anything his big sister was playing---walls not that thin in Brooklyn rowhouses.

THEN he says that his sister, who owned every Stones album made, suddenly tired of them in 1972, and gave Bill German all her Stones albums and a Fan Was Born. Don't believe it. Then dropping out of school, forrays itno following the Stones around the country on wild goose chases, living in a one-room crap apartment and sleeping in a twin bed with a guy he doesn't know -- just to be closer to the Stones...yuck.

Anway, I'll shut up now. I'm glad other people appreciate this book for what it uniquely offers. I'm cool w/Kris Needs, Bokris, even Christopher Sanford, which many people think are shite.

I actually really liked Bill's writing. I laughed out loud several times at his sarcasm, which is something I connect with him on. Loved the book.

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: February 19, 2010 05:55

I dug his book ..His take on things and what he experenced with the stones...But He is not a cool guy and was very lucky to have been there.Its no wonder Jagger was leery of him...but he does have a lot of insight into an area that few people get to see.....When i say Cool , i mean Rock n Roll Cool...It seems he was preety cool with his subscribers, of which i was one..

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: February 19, 2010 06:25

With all due respect, that proclamation, and I quote "as reader I can picture people's reactions to him, in ways he clearly doesn't get. Like calling Keith several times a day for months at the Plaza. And not getting the fact that--altho he was successful in getting through--he was also a pain in the ass" unquote, is a remarkable statement and that's being kind. Somebody's full of themself and it ain't Bill German or Keith Richards.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 19, 2010 16:17

I even didn't know that in the mid-’80s, German co-authored Wood’s 1987 memoir “The Works.I've never read that book .Or may be under another title ?confused smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 19, 2010 16:28

SwayStones
schillid

... it's hard for him to say no to anything. Which is exactly where Jo would come in. She'd try her best ...

Way back then too... At the WOAF video shoot Ronnie was in the lavatory at the back of the bus... He couldn't say no as people gathered at the window. "Ron Wood's taking a piss!" someone cried. The window slid open and Ronnie started signing autographs. "You can't even take a piss in private!" Someone called out. "Ahh... who needs privacy?" Ronnie laughed. And then Jo shielded the window with her back for him.

Ahhh..thanks for the photos and ..the story !

The guy with the bald head is skipstone.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 20, 2010 11:35

>>as reader I can picture people's reactions to him, in ways he clearly doesn't get. Like calling Keith several times a day for months at the Plaza. And not getting the fact that--altho he was successful in getting through--he was also a pain in the ass"

I agree with this. The Stones have been friends with journalists...Stanley Booth and Nick Kent spring to mind..but they were younger then and the journalists were the same age. Bill German came along quite late in the piece, and could never hope to meet them on equal ground. There was no natural niche for him in the Stones' circle, eg, in the way that Marshall Chess became close friends with Anita and Bianca. All he had to offer was his fandom.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home