Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hitmakers
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 9, 2007 02:52

Route 66 - the Stones arrive; trucking down the highway. I love it if I look at it in historical perspective: "Well if you ever plan to motor west, Jack take my way..."
"Just wanna make Love" - might be a cover but they already knew how to make a cover their own. This is a wild minute and a half. "Carol" was the Berry number for the album. Had to be there.
"Honest I Do" with the echo harp and the cymbal crashes. The Bass recorded in a way that the Beatles had not dreamed of. This lowdown Blues is my fave of the album with it's partner "King Bee". Again the Bass is recorded so clean. But what I love about the early R&B songs is how the constructed the overall soubnd from the 2 guitarlines and the Bass. Together they formed the musical back.
""You can make it if you try" - I guess this was a forerunner to their later developed gospel blues style like "Time is on my side" and "Pain in my heart".
There is "Can I get a witness" a straight Popsong with the way stronger instrumental counterpart "Now I've got a witness". TYhis one featuring studio guests Pitney. Spector. Stu jams on the organ and Brian tears it up on harmonica until Keith comes jumoing in with a blaring solo.
"Mona" was in those years a well constructed texture. The Toms and the shakers, the vibrato guitar with the massive slides on top, the chant like vocals. "Hey hey Mona I'm gonna build a house next door to you..".
"Little by Little" and "Tell Me" are the two featured Stones songs. One a straight rocker but the other a ballad. While the execution may be shaky, the vision is beautiful. The 12 String guitar, the arrangment, tempo changes and of course the backing vocals. The backing vocal in search of a note. LOL

Just listened to it and had to "review" it.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Re: Hitmakers
Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: May 9, 2007 20:01

Hey Chelsea,

I still listen to this LP most of all. I just got a japanese mini of the UK version from EBAY. Raw, exciting the Stones in all their youth. I too love Honest I Do, and in King Bee always loved the "stinging" guitars.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 9, 2007 20:04

Great debut.....My face is the 1-A \ 1-A matrix UK edition, with the Long, alternate version of Tell Me.

JR

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 10, 2007 00:01

Pure unadulterated, no holds barred, passionate Rollin Stones. This mono lp has such a fantastic sound. Right JR? Would love to hear or see any new audio or video from those days. Hopefully the vault will open someday before we are all too old and our ears are fully cooked and eyes to blind to see.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2113
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home