Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

3 ALBUMS, NEED THEM RATED, PLEASE
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: May 9, 2007 19:47

AFTERMATH - WHY IS THIS THOUGHT TO BE THE MASTERPIECE OF THEIR MIDDLE PERIOD

DECEMBER'S CHILDREN - ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVOURITES

BETWEEN THE BUTTONS - I LOVE IT BUT IT SEEMS TO BE THOUGHT OF AS A POOR RELATION TO AFTERMATH.

THANKS!

Re: 3 ALBUMS, NEED THEM RATED, PLEASE
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 9, 2007 19:48

They're in the right order.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 9, 2007 19:50

I'd put December's Children on top actually, but Aftermath is a more important Stones release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-09 19:52 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: May 9, 2007 20:15

Assuming AM & BTB are the US versions I would also put Decembers Children on top. Actually it wouldn't matter DC would still be on top. Aftermath is the first disc w/o cover songs on them. I prefer the UK version of Aftermath. The opening with Mick singing "What a drag it is getting old" is just classic. I think BTB US vs UK are very different. UK flows better and is a more "English" disc where the US version rocks a little harder with Ruby Tuesday & LSTNT.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 9, 2007 20:22

saturn57 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Assuming AM & BTB are the US versions I would also
> put Decembers Children on top. Actually it
> wouldn't matter DC would still be on top.
> Aftermath is the first disc w/o cover songs on
> them. I prefer the UK version of Aftermath. The
> opening with Mick singing "What a drag it is
> getting old" is just classic. I think BTB US vs UK
> are very different. UK flows better and is a more
> "English" disc where the US version rocks a
> little harder with Ruby Tuesday & LSTNT.

Yeah, think you have to specify UK or US Aftermath/BTB. I agree with Saturn that the UK versions are superior in both cases. All three are great albums, although I've always had a soft spot for Buttons. It's probably not really better than the other two, but I think it's really interesting because it captures the Stones in sort of a transitional phase from RNB band to more of a rock/psych/pop sound. More of their unique personalities in the tunes.

Karl

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: May 9, 2007 20:40

December's Children is more enjoyable to listen to for me. Aftermath, like stated above, is more important a release for the Stones but not as good all the way through. One of the most underrated albums of the Stones career is Between The Buttons. It is a much better sounding album yet it lacks the commercial appeal that the other 2 albums had. To me the Stones put more effort in Between The Buttons. You can really hear the transition on those albums, you can see how the Stones got to Beggars Banquet.

Date: May 9, 2007 23:21

1. Aftermath (UK) IS a masterpiece
2. December´s Children IS a good compilation (?)
3. Between The Buttons has it´s moments, but I never fell for this album (Backstreet Girl, All Sold Out and Connection are good though. Miss Amanda Jones too, if they´d bothered to tune up the guitars smiling smiley)

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: May 9, 2007 23:50

They are exactly as good as YOU think they are.I've never needed anyone else's opinion to like a song or album.If I like it great.If I don't it doesn't have a chance in Hell.

Its up to you.Don't ask for others opinion...decide for yourself.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 9, 2007 23:51

judging by the american releases because that's how i grew up with these records, my ratings would be:
***** 5 stars being best...

aftermath - *****
decembers children (And Everybody's) - *****
between the buttons - *****
__ ___ ___
further discussion some other time perhaps; don't mean to be dismissive on the specifics of these various holy high points reached on each of these releases quite consistenly...but being such a lover as of the london/decca stuff, i wanted to clock in with at least my personal numerical ratings...
of these three, in a 'desert island' if you could pick just one...kinda sense...
leanin' toward DC right now.

it would be DC, Buttons & aftermath...in that order, today anyway...all gems tho...all gems.
a problem for me these lists...as i'd also rate 12 x 5, (if only for 'around and around' it would still be worth the high rating) that one KILLS... the rolling stones 'now' right up there too...all gems...'around and around' and 'she said yeah' particular faves...whoa...it's hard to suss this...especially, for instance, because 'she said yeah' is "Out Of Our Heads" in UK and Europe but it'son DC in the states..etc...
buttons is so exquisite; i've long been a proponent of that one, easily dismissed by fans, and by mick himself from time to time, but a very evolved and wondrous album...(that's the one where brian wilson was hanging out about with nitsche and the boyz, watching things getting recorded, as a bit of trivia that is fascinating to me)

cain't go by me...i even love 'flowers' a sure target for dismissal all these decades it seems...the us version of that one was revelatory and hot...
did i mention lately that i just love the rolling stones? i never tire of these first 8 or so studio albums, nor do i find the next half dozen or so releases less than durable and continually fascinating and very uniquely and soulfully rocking. not a bad band when u start to think about it, eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-09 23:52 by Beelyboy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2044
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home