Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Restore British DJ Tom Binns job!
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 30, 2009 19:14

This is unfair!

Wed Dec 30, 6:53 am ET
LONDON (AFP) – A British radio presenter has been sacked after he pulled the plug on Queen Elizabeth II's traditional Christmas Day speech, telling listeners it was "boring."

Tom Binns has lost his job at Birmingham radio station BRMB after a number of listeners complained over his interruption of the monarch's traditional December 25 broadcast to Britain and the Commonwealth.

"Two words: Bor-ring," he said on air as he stopped the broadcast, before quipping "from one Queen to another..." as he put on "Last Christmas" by pop duo Wham, featuring openly gay singer George Michael.

Binns explained that the incident occurred after the Queen's Speech -- a decades-old tradition still watched by millions of Britons and others every year -- came on at a point when he had expected a regular news bulletin.

"I was working on my own on Christmas Day; I'd even had to let myself into the studio. After the guy before me finished, we should have taken the news from Sky, and then my show would start," he told the Chortle comedy website.

"But instead of the news, we got the Queen's speech. I knew it shouldn't be there, but having never heard it before, I didn't know how long it was going to go on for.

"I'm not trained to make editorial decisions, but I decided to get rid of it and make a joke. I said, 'Two words: bor-ring'.

"I then went into an old riff about how people say the royal family are good for tourism, but the French beheaded theirs and people still visit France," before cueing up the Wham song, he said.

He added that one listener got really angry, "he sent me a message saying I should be sent to Basra and hoped I'd get killed by a roadside bomb... but other than that almost all the texts we received were in support of what I'd done."

The radio station's parent company, the Orion Media Group programme, said the DJ's comments were "inappropriate," adding: "We do not condone what he said in any way, whether said in jest or not.

"Tom will now not be featuring again on our radio stations," said its programme and marketing director, David Lloyd, quoted by the Birmingham Post.

Binns added: "Nobody would have tuned in to hear the Queen's speech; and I tried to deal with it in a funny way. After all, they employ comedians to make jokes."

Re: OT: Restore British DJ Tom Binns job!
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 30, 2009 19:49

You don't piss off HM!

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: December 30, 2009 20:04

Thought he was pretty funny on Under The Moon a few years ago

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: December 30, 2009 20:15

As my children used to say...

"Too bad, too sad!"

You don't insult the Queen of England like that. No matter what HE thought about her speech, it was not his place to deprive other citizens of the UK the opportunity.

His boss should have sacked him. That was a stupid thing to do.

CBII

Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: December 30, 2009 21:55

What's unfair about it? He pulled a douchebag move and got canned for it. I am assuming he's a grown man and therefore must have known the potential consequences of his actions and if he didn’t then he doesn’t deserve to be employed in the first place.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 30, 2009 22:00

HEILOOBAAS
You don't piss off HM!

WHY NOT, SHE pisses enough people off. Fair's fair.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: December 30, 2009 22:02

God Save The Queen....we mean it, man.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 30, 2009 23:05

paulywaul
HEILOOBAAS
You don't piss off HM!

Tell her, then. She's used to vitriol.

Date: December 30, 2009 23:09

HEILOOBAAS
paulywaul
HEILOOBAAS
You don't piss off HM!

Tell her, then. She's used to vitriol.

Don't have a radio station immediately to hand .... but feel free to tell her on my behalf if it troubles you that much !!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 30, 2009 23:12

He should be shot / hung for treason................I'm not kidding.

sc uk

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 30, 2009 23:55

he sounds like a pathetic attention whore, desperate for publicity.

maybe he'll get it just in time to join Ekaterina in the upcoming series of Celebrity Big Brother.

Date: December 31, 2009 00:47

straycatuk

sc uk

I hope you're kidding ? Get a grip for f**ks sake. The man said the Queen's speech was boring. He didn't say she should be guillotined and Britain become a republic, he didn't call her a ratbag, he didn't point out that her eldest son resides somewhere between Mars and Pluto, the second is a total waste of space and third needs to come out of the closet ... he just said that her speech was boring. And by and large, so it was - as usual. What's the big deal ? it's not as if he set up shop on a footstool in Speakers Corner Hyde Park and tried to muster up troops to storm the palace and do away with her !!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 31, 2009 01:53

I always listen to HMs Christmas message. Am hoping she says "Annus Horribilus" again. It makes me giggle.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 31, 2009 02:02

Well English blood does run hot.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: December 31, 2009 02:31

paulywaul
straycatuk

sc uk

I hope you're kidding ? Get a grip for f**ks sake. The man said the Queen's speech was boring. He didn't say she should be guillotined and Britain become a republic, he didn't call her a ratbag, he didn't point out that her eldest son resides somewhere between Mars and Pluto, the second is a total waste of space and third needs to come out of the closet ... he just said that her speech was boring. And by and large, so it was - as usual. What's the big deal ? it's not as if he set up shop on a footstool in Speakers Corner Hyde Park and tried to muster up troops to storm the palace and do away with her !!

IN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION............I WAS JOKING. I think a sacking was way over the top.Peace and goodwill to all Off Topicswinking smiley

sc uk

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: December 31, 2009 09:28

.........like all local radio DJ's, they think they are something , when they are not.

All they can do is push buttons and fill the gap between songs and adverts.....Pondlife!!!!!

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 31, 2009 10:55

I remember Keith being fond of the Queen, maybe from the very day he sang for her in the fifties (meaning the Queen is among the very few to have witnessed future punk-icon Keith wearing shorts)

Said she was a nice lady, or something, but that he could gladly kill her prince husband (approximate quote) - was is when they knighted Mick?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 31, 2009 11:18

He should be taking legal advice for unfair dismissal. It is totally unacceptable that he should be sacked for switching off a speech.

The position of "Queen" is incompatible with a 21st century so-called democracy. That she or any of her offspring should hold that job by virtue of their birth is anathema to me.

Date: December 31, 2009 12:32

Father Ted
He should be taking legal advice for unfair dismissal. It is totally unacceptable that he should be sacked for switching off a speech.

The position of "Queen" is incompatible with a 21st century so-called democracy. That she or any of her offspring should hold that job by virtue of their birth is anathema to me.

You're aware, I take it, that the 'Queen' doesnt actually take any real part in the decision making of said 'democracy' ?

The fact is undeniable that if the UK was a republic and the present monarch ran for election as President she'd outpoll the present corrupt lot of politicians who DO run this country by an absolute mile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-31 12:51 by Gazza.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 31, 2009 12:43

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 31, 2009 13:27

1) Whatever he thinks of the monarchy (and he's entitled to his opinion) - it's seriously unprofessional for a broadcaster not to know how long the Queen's Speech runs for (about 10 minutes).

2) If he thought the speech was being broadcast on his channel by mistake he could have cut it short without being gratuitously rude. Again, seriously unprofessional.

3) However, although what he did was silly and generated complaints, sacking him was an over-the-top reaction. But after all the outrage at Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand not so long ago, it isn't very surprising.

Date: December 31, 2009 13:41

Green Lady
1) Whatever he thinks of the monarchy (and he's entitled to his opinion) - it's seriously unprofessional for a broadcaster not to know how long the Queen's Speech runs for (about 10 minutes).

2) If he thought the speech was being broadcast on his channel by mistake he could have cut it short without being gratuitously rude. Again, seriously unprofessional.

3) However, although what he did was silly and generated complaints, sacking him was an over-the-top reaction. But after all the outrage at Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand not so long ago, it isn't very surprising.

Agree 100 percent.

Date: December 31, 2009 13:43

straycatuk
paulywaul
straycatuk

sc uk

IN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION............I WAS JOKING. I think a sacking was way over the top.Peace and goodwill to all Off Topicswinking smiley

sc uk

Thank heavens for that stray puddy cat, thought you'd lost yer marbles for a moment there. Peace n' goodwill to ya too.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: December 31, 2009 18:11

Father Ted

Someone already mentioned the Queen's position is more so symbolic than anything else. However, her position IS symbolic of the culture and heritage of Great Britain.

What he thinks is boring is his business. What the owners and public overrides anything he thinks when he providing a public service. Without doubt, there is a code of conduct that must be followed at the radio station which he breached. The owners of the station were well within their bounds by sacking that imbecile.

Date: December 31, 2009 18:43

CBII
Father Ted

Someone already mentioned the Queen's position is more so symbolic than anything else. However, her position IS symbolic of the culture and heritage of Great Britain.

What he thinks is boring is his business. What the owners and public overrides anything he thinks when he providing a public service. Without doubt, there is a code of conduct that must be followed at the radio station which he breached. The owners of the station were well within their bounds by sacking that imbecile.

Why don't we just settle for for the fact that his conduct was unprofessional, but by the same token his employer's reaction was over-zealous ? There's a lot of people in this country who quite frankly don't give a toss about the Royal family, and whilst not necessarily wanting to see the monarchy done away with altogether, they really don't care about it. Those are the people for whom a once per year televised ramble by the encumbent monarch is a spectacular non-event, and "so what" if someone on a radio station referred to it as boring. It's all a storm in a bloody teacup, ridiculous.

Date: December 31, 2009 20:30

Adrian-L
God Save The Queen....we mean it, man.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 31, 2009 21:20

Now THAT is funny!

Nice one!

Date: January 1, 2010 12:28

Brilliant ......... oh and by the way you're FIRED !!!!!!

Date: January 1, 2010 12:55

Although not a Royalist, I do have respect for our monarch.She was thrust into the job at a relatively early age by the death of her father and has, IMHO been a wonderful head of state for almost 60 years .I'm not talking about the rest of the family obviously !

Whenever I feel republican sympathies I think of the following;

PRESIDENT MAJOR,BLAIR,BROWN,CAMERON,MANDELSON............or THATCHER .Think about it ! NOT GOOD.

sc uk

Date: January 1, 2010 14:01

straycatuk
Although not a Royalist, I do have respect for our monarch.She was thrust into the job at a relatively early age by the death of her father and has, IMHO been a wonderful head of state for almost 60 years .I'm not talking about the rest of the family obviously !

Whenever I feel republican sympathies I think of the following;

PRESIDENT MAJOR,BLAIR,BROWN,CAMERON,MANDELSON............or THATCHER .Think about it ! NOT GOOD.

sc uk

Personally, I wish very very very very bad things upon Blair and Mandelson, to pick two out of your list. Deluded egotistic maniacs, legends in their very own private lunchtimes, I wish them both a humiliating, painful, and altogether grisly demise. They are akin to vermin. Especially Blair. O to have the opportunity to wipe that sycophantic smile off his ugly face by means of bludgeoning him with a fire axe !! He deserves nothing less !!

Queenie's OK. Christ, would you wish to have been born into her job ? No bloody thanks. Seeing as she had no say in the matter, she's suffered in silence and dignity, I'll give her that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home