Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is this a Firebird ?
Date: December 27, 2009 08:19

I saw this video; and apologize if it is (most likely) already posted here. The 3 PU guitar at this ear;y date surprised me.
Is this out of sync? Or one of those jobs where they take a completely different song, and make it look like they are playing another?
regrdless - it is early on, and Keith looks like he is on a Firebird.

Re: Is this a Firebird ?
Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: December 27, 2009 08:38

No, Gibson started making the Firebird in '63, so they were around and in Keith and Brian's hands in '65 when this was filmed.

Date: December 27, 2009 09:42

Excuse me Polythene, I don't quite understand the answer. Gibson made them in 63, the video is ca. 65, you say they were around and in Keith's hand, but you start out with a 'No'.

I also have two other questions: does anyone know the video where a fairly young Jagger (maybe '68) busts through a window in a red shirt, and then Keith stands there in a Astronaut's suit, pulling down his helmet visor?

And another question involves a short snippet of a video where the Stones are performing (maybe 66) since Brian is in his pinstriped suit and the Firebird, but on Jagger's right side with Bill. But Keith is WITHOUT guitar and a microphone on stage left slightly behind Jagger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-27 09:50 by DeliveranceStraightwayHoliness.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 27, 2009 09:54

yes it's a Firebird, yes it's 1965 and yes it's out of synch,
but they really did do Down the Road Apiece (playback) on that show.
Gered Mankowitz noted in one of his books that Brian found the go-go girls hilarious :E

>> the video where a fairly young Jagger (maybe '68) busts through a window in a red shirt,
and then Keith stands there in a Astronaut's suit, pulling down his helmet visor? <<

that's from some promo thing they did in june 1969 for something called "Music Scene" -
there's also a little "interview" with Keith the Astronaut

>> And another question involves a short snippet of a video where the Stones are performing (maybe 66)
since Brian is in his pinstriped suit and the Firebird, but on Jagger's right side with Bill.
But Keith is WITHOUT guitar and a microphone on stage left slightly behind Jagger. <<

... hm well: i'd have to see it to know what you mean.
Brian's usual position was to Jagger's right, and he used Firebirds real regularly.
during the november 1968 David Frost Show playback presentation of SFTD,
Keith's got a tambourine and is sitting down part of the time, and Brian's in a suit, but on piano.
or maybe you're talking about a snippet from a soundcheck/rehearsal scenario?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-27 10:07 by with sssoul.

Date: December 27, 2009 09:59

Thank you. I did not know that they were around that early. Really - appreciate the info.

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: December 27, 2009 11:19

Check this out :

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: December 27, 2009 11:25

Hi With Soul, I ran into this crazy site that is all about Stones 'number'. Like how often did they play this on that tour. Then they did a great job by trying to have a video for most songs. Problem is I have to find the right video. But let me do that and give you the link. I'll be back.

Date: December 27, 2009 11:47

Hello With Soul. It's a clip that someone put together with much good footage. The images I am talking about are about at 1:23.

BTW - this makes me ask the question: has anyone here ever seen the Mash-ups made with Street Fighting Man? Most excellent.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 27, 2009 12:11

thanks for the clip. actually Brian's on Jagger's left in that footage, not his right!
and you didn't mention that Keith's at a piano. that's the Ed Sullivan presentation of Have You Seen Your Mother Baby.
september 11th 1966. live vocals, the rest playback.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-27 12:12 by with sssoul.

Date: December 27, 2009 12:25

Haha...yes you are right. Are you ever wrong? And I mean that nicely. Left, right, - my point was that they are on the wrong side. And damn if that isn't a piano there. That explains it. Keith isn't doing much piano PLAYING though. More like keith-isms at the piano. Some arm slinging and steppin'.
One of these days tho..

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 27, 2009 16:46

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 27, 2009 16:48

Funny Elmo Lewis I just want to search for a red Firebird

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 29, 2009 21:00

reverse gibson firebird VII, hard to tell from the pic but i would guess vintage sunburst for the color (i know firbirds because i have a reverse cardinal red gibson firebird V)

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: December 30, 2009 20:23

The guitar Keith is holding IS a Gibson Firebird. However, the dubbed in song sounds more like a ES-335, ES-345 or ES-355 is being played.

CBII

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 30, 2009 21:51

Elmo Lewis

Damn, that's a beauty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home