Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

100 Isle of Wight Festival tickets made available - but at a price
Posted by: tonym ()
Date: March 30, 2007 12:15

This from today's Isle of Wight County Press. Giddings was, of course, instrumental in getting the Stones to play.

`TICKET TOUTS` JIBE AT FESTIVAL BOSSES
By Lorraine Parker - Friday, March 30, 2007
IW FESTIVAL organisers have been blasted as greedy touts after selling off 100 extra tickets to the highest bidders in an auction through Ticketmaster.
But IW Festival organiser John Giddings has denied being a tout and said: “I have the right to do what I like, because it’s my festival.”
Despite confirmation the event had completely sold out more than a month ago, 100 extra tickets went to auction at 9am yesterday (Thursday) in what organisers said was an attempt to stop them ending up in the hands of touts.
But festival-goers are furious with the way organisers have gone about it, adamant tickets are even more likely to end up in the pockets of touts.
What’s more, IW Festival forum members are demanding money made over and above face value be given to a charity like the hospice.
What has angered them the most is festival organisers have frequently condemned people for selling their tickets for extortionate prices.
One post on the forum read: “The greedy people on eBay get a slagging off for cashing in but the organisers can go ahead and auction tickets off.”
But Mr Giddings said the extra money would go towards the cost of the event, which has rocketed since the IW Act was imposed.
“The money will go towards the extra costs your Island is charging me. It is definitely not for profit,” he said.
“It depends how much it costs to run the festival as to what will happen with the money.”
Mr Giddings said he had not yet thought about the possibility of donating some to charity.
In an e-mail to the County Press, one angry man said: “Apparently this is an attempt to prevent them from ending up in the hands of touts. Is Giddings really that stupid? They will be rubbing their hands with glee.
“They have the financial clout to purchase as many tickets as they like, which will only exacerbate the problems real fans have of purchasing tickets at cost price.
“This whole procedure stinks and has reduced the promoters to the role of money-grabbing touts themselves.”
It is thought the extra tickets have come from failed credit card transactions.
Mr Giddings said he was fed up with people complaining and suggested people shouldn’t buy tickets if they weren’t happy with the way they were being sold.
“You don’t have to buy them. I’m not forcing anyone to do anything. Every person in the world had a fair chance of getting a ticket. But people aren’t happy because they didn’t get off their arses quick enough.”

Re: 100 Isle of Wight Festival tickets made available - but at a price
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 30, 2007 12:24

i've heard it all now. not content with charging hideous amounts for tickets, they've started 'auctioning' them off to the highest bidders

what happened ? when did things go so awful ?

Re: 100 Isle of Wight Festival tickets made available - but at a price
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 30, 2007 19:47

>>Apparently this is an attempt to prevent them from ending up in the hands of touts.<<

So, he wants to be the one and only tout? - jeez^^

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home