Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Are you listening to christmas music?
Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: December 25, 2009 01:22

Lonely without you (this christmas)
Wonderful sad song. I listen to it every christmas since
Alfie's release.

Re: Are you listening to christmas music?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 25, 2009 01:37

Yes listen to some, I just lay the table for our morning breakfast

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 25, 2009 02:59

Yes,listening to a local radio station play 24 hours of Christmas music.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: December 25, 2009 03:33

we always play elvis christmas songs at my moms! i like it alot...

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: December 25, 2009 03:53

Heard Blue Christmas tonight for about the fifth time this season. Which makes it official.

Posted by: caroogie ()
Date: December 25, 2009 03:56

Yes, but the good vintage stuff. Not the newer crap like Celine & Mariah. Vince Guaraldi rules! Merry Christmas all.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: December 25, 2009 03:58

Well if my Grandson singing Xmas songs counts then I've been listening all day!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 25, 2009 04:23

Are you listening to christmas music?

NO! it creeps me out^^

the exception was Bob Dylan, doing "Must be Santa" ha, yeah! - turn it up and dance!

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: December 25, 2009 05:09

No not in the Christmas spirit at all my Mom and dad both are not with us anymore.

Makes me sad and depressed.

Have a Merry Christmas friends,

drummer_dude

Date: December 25, 2009 06:41

drummer_dude
No not in the Christmas spirit at all my Mom and dad both are not with us anymore.

Makes me sad and depressed.

Have a Merry Christmas friends,

drummer_dude
Yeah I hear you DD. I'm in the same boat. Never easy,but I try to make the best of it. That's why I'm listening to a local radio station play rock & roll christmas music. As a music fan it's fun to listen to without getting to sentimental about the whole process.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 25, 2009 08:17

Merry Christmas all! Hope next year is better than this past year...for eveyone!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 25, 2009 10:27

yes (almost)

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 25, 2009 11:51

Actually no , I am not when I awoke today "Don't Stop " was running in my brains jukebox . So needless to say now it's playing on my PC !

Merry Christmas all !

Date: December 25, 2009 13:00

Paul McCartney's good Evening New York city

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 25, 2009 13:05

Yes....Dylan's Christmas album - didn't dare to listen to it before now; but I find it to be pretty good.....!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: December 25, 2009 14:11

yes, all day long!!!

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: December 25, 2009 14:44

Of course... I am listening the Rolling Stones 1969 tour!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 25, 2009 17:46

Combination of old-timey gospel Christmas carols, Appalachian carols, string quartet carols, and Rat Pack xmas.

As turnabout from when us kids used to wake up our parents at dawn on xmas morning, today my father got lonely or something -- and way too early started blasting abominable Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops -- waking up the whole household. OK, it was 8am, but for some of us that's too early winking smiley Graciously, he did make the coffee.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 25, 2009 19:19

Since Thanksgiving, all the time!

This year's heavy rotation Christmas albums have been by the dBs and Friends, Oscar Peterson, a just- reissued Mantovani album, 2 by Buck Owens, and Bob's new album. (I love the package--the very odd Currier & Ives winter image on the front, the wise men following the star on the back, and then the [SPOILER ALERT!] painting of Bette Page in a Santa hat on the back of insert book...from traditional/nostalgic to original/religious to modern/irreverent. Three angles on Christmas, which he captures on the disc very well....and I like the singin' too )

A year ago I bought the Mitch Miller Christmas album as joke for friends. This year I've played it for myself a couple of times. Reminds me of being a kid, very comforting. Go figure.

Last year I also got a Gladys Knight and the Pips album with a disco-fied "Jingle Bells" that seemed unlistenable. Playing it again last week, I found something compelling...it had it's own brash beauty that was almost life-affirming.

The Smithereens Christmas album is a solid rockin' set well worth having. (Great liner notes by the drummer who talks about those old Christmas compilation records sold by Grants Department stores, which my family had, and like me, he speaks of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" on one of those being the first Johnny Cash record he ever owned.

There are pop Christmas evergreens, like the (Original, Atlantic ) Soul Christmas, Phil Spector (of course--which has Darlene Love's "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home" which I confess has on occasion not just made me tear up, but actually weep because it's so beautiful...and speaking of tear up, John & Yoko's "Happy Xmas--War Is Over" gets me almost every time. It's really Phil's sequel to the album, a record which defines the modern pop Christmas song. ) Another great Christmas album is one by the Booker T and the MGs, which is put to great use on the This American Life radio show as background music on their holiday segments. Ben Keith's Seven Gates-aka Christmas At the Ranch and Marah's joyful holiday-show concept cd, A Christmas Kind of Town are two more personal faves that I recommend to anyone.

For a long time, Bing Crosby was Mr.Christmas in this country. Had he known that his pairing with David Bowie from his annual--and last TV Christmas Special--would be the recording that the next couple of generations would hear him most often, he probably would have made it in a recording studio so we wouldn't be stuck with the dodgy sound off the videotape. "White Christmas" was the biggest-selling record of all time for many years, but the one I like from Der Bingle the best was on one of those Grants--or maybe Good Year--compilations: "What Child Is This/The Holly and the Ivy." Now that's Christmas!

What's great about Christmas music is the many forms a song can take. There's a real elegance to the Ramsey Lewis Trio's version of "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" that is, like the Vince Guaraldi Peanuts soundtrack, great music for those late-night quiet moments.

And it's totally unlike the whacked-out beauty and anarchy of the version by Joseph Spence.

That one was in my head this morning, so I found it to share with you:

Enjoy.

Merry Christmas everyone....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-25 19:21 by loog droog.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: December 25, 2009 19:54

Holy night,

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Date: December 25, 2009 20:01

Ray Charles - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Posted by: winter ()
Date: December 25, 2009 20:19

Voluntarily listening to only Run Rudolph Run by Keith and the new Dylan cd. Involuntarily listening to what shows up on the television or the neighbors aprtments' stereos.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 25, 2009 20:22

.........I Heard Mommie Kissing Santa Claus.....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 25, 2009 20:24

Happy X'mas (War is Over If You Want it)
Run Rudolf Run!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 25, 2009 20:27

Driving home for Christmas is on now

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: December 25, 2009 20:41

The best X-mas album, Vince Guaraldi Trio A Charlie Brown Christmas! Turn it up!

Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: December 25, 2009 21:50

24 hr Christmas music on the radio. Dean Martin, Nat Cole, Frank Sinatra, Andrea Bocelli on cd.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 25, 2009 21:51

Yes and no.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: December 25, 2009 22:37

Yes, a little. My current favourite Christmas albums are

"Rock N Roll X-mas" by The Refreshments (a Swedish Rock N Roll group who are very obvious fans of Chuck Berry and Dave Edmunds's Rockpile)

"I Wanna Be Santa Claus" by Ringo Starr

and the rather recent Christmas album by Brian Wilson that includes the wonderful "On Christmas Day".

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 25, 2009 22:38

loog droog
Since Thanksgiving, all the time!

This year's heavy rotation Christmas albums have been by the dBs and Friends, Oscar Peterson, a just- reissued Mantovani album, 2 by Buck Owens, and Bob's new album. (I love the package--the very odd Currier & Ives winter image on the front, the wise men following the star on the back, and then the [SPOILER ALERT!] painting of Bette Page in a Santa hat on the back of insert book...from traditional/nostalgic to original/religious to modern/irreverent. Three angles on Christmas, which he captures on the disc very well....and I like the singin' too )

A year ago I bought the Mitch Miller Christmas album as joke for friends. This year I've played it for myself a couple of times. Reminds me of being a kid, very comforting. Go figure.

Last year I also got a Gladys Knight and the Pips album with a disco-fied "Jingle Bells" that seemed unlistenable. Playing it again last week, I found something compelling...it had it's own brash beauty that was almost life-affirming.

The Smithereens Christmas album is a solid rockin' set well worth having. (Great liner notes by the drummer who talks about those old Christmas compilation records sold by Grants Department stores, which my family had, and like me, he speaks of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" on one of those being the first Johnny Cash record he ever owned.

There are pop Christmas evergreens, like the (Original, Atlantic ) Soul Christmas, Phil Spector (of course--which has Darlene Love's "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home" which I confess has on occasion not just made me tear up, but actually weep because it's so beautiful...and speaking of tear up, John & Yoko's "Happy Xmas--War Is Over" gets me almost every time. It's really Phil's sequel to the album, a record which defines the modern pop Christmas song. ) Another great Christmas album is one by the Booker T and the MGs, which is put to great use on the This American Life radio show as background music on their holiday segments. Ben Keith's Seven Gates-aka Christmas At the Ranch and Marah's joyful holiday-show concept cd, A Christmas Kind of Town are two more personal faves that I recommend to anyone.

For a long time, Bing Crosby was Mr.Christmas in this country. Had he known that his pairing with David Bowie from his annual--and last TV Christmas Special--would be the recording that the next couple of generations would hear him most often, he probably would have made it in a recording studio so we wouldn't be stuck with the dodgy sound off the videotape. "White Christmas" was the biggest-selling record of all time for many years, but the one I like from Der Bingle the best was on one of those Grants--or maybe Good Year--compilations: "What Child Is This/The Holly and the Ivy." Now that's Christmas!

What's great about Christmas music is the many forms a song can take. There's a real elegance to the Ramsey Lewis Trio's version of "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" that is, like the Vince Guaraldi Peanuts soundtrack, great music for those late-night quiet moments.

And it's totally unlike the whacked-out beauty and anarchy of the version by Joseph Spence.

That one was in my head this morning, so I found it to share with you:

Enjoy.

Merry Christmas everyone....

Wow loog droog -- thanks for the great reviews! and for Joseph Spence -- sounds a bit like a singing Bahamanian Popeye!

Merry Christmas!
swiss

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home