Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chuck Berry - Keith Richards relationship
Posted by: mrrockandroll ()
Date: March 21, 2007 09:13

I read in a recent post that their relationship sort of ended after the Hail Hail Rock 'n Roll movie, due to financial problems. But haven't they ever played again together??? Do they still see eachother??? Does Chuck Berry attend Stones concerts??

Re: Chuck Berry - Keith Richards relationship
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 21, 2007 14:52

Chuck got upset with Keith as Keith tried to get some royalty money for Johnnie Johnson. Keith insist that Johnnie wrote the music to many of Chuck's songs.

Part of his evidence is that they're in piano keys as opposed to guitar keys - C, Bb, F, etc are easy to play on piano (the white keys mostly) while guitarist prefer E, A, and D due to ease of playing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-21 15:45 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: March 21, 2007 15:43

Interesting that Keith would take the side of the little guy on this - given his own history of not giving people credit for co-writing Stones songs.

Posted by: mrrockandroll ()
Date: March 21, 2007 16:30

yes I agree; but I guess the difference will be that Chuck has 'stolen' the famous rock n' roll licks from Johnnie's pianoplaying. As almost every Chuck Berry song starts with those typical licks; he owns Johnnie a damn lot. Whereas in Keith's case, it will only be a few songs, and not his entire trade-mark guitar playing.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: March 21, 2007 18:07

In an interview in th St. Louis Post Dispatch many years ago, long before Keith's statement, Chuck said that Chess had speeded up the tape on Johnny B. Goode in order to make him sound younger. Thus, although the song plays in Bb, it was recorded in A. I have also read him credit a sax player' Illinios Jacuket[?] as the source of his trademark guitar lick. This is not ment to take anything away from the obious contributions of the late, great Johnnie Johnson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-21 18:36 by keithfan64.

Date: March 21, 2007 18:11

Hard for a sax to play two notes at once (ala Chuck's famous double stops).

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 21, 2007 19:44

well, it's not like they ever had a warm close friendship - Keith love the man, but it doesn't seem to be mutual.
Keith's only played on stage with Chuck something like four times, right? one time Chuck threw him off
for playing too loud; i've got some footage from the 86 Chicago Blues Festival where Chuck calls him Ron; :E
and in between those events Chuck punched him in the face and set him on fire (not at the same time!)

Date: March 21, 2007 20:34

Yeah, Keith's a better man than me for taking the crap Chuck dished out during "Hail, Hail". Chuck's bitterness shows through. Doesn't he realize that Keith has put a lot of $$$ in his (Chuck's) pocket?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home