Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Isle of Wight Festival - Isn't it strange???
Posted by: Nellcote ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:14

Hi,

I would love to see the Stones at the Isle of Wight but unfortunately it's completely sold out! Isn't it very strange that the Stones haven't confirmed anything. I mean when the Stones will confirm that they play the festvival it is impossible for Stones fans to get tickets. So the Stones will play to people that actually would like to see bands like Keane, Snow Patrol, Muse etc. while there will be few Stones fans.

Normally festivals let you know in advance which bands will play and a few weeks later people can buy tickets for it. But now it goes like: these bands will play, it goes on sale, it is sold out and o yeah the Stones will play there too, but SOLD OUT!

Re: Isle of Wight Festival - Isn't it strange???
Posted by: mightymick ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:16

maybe they did hold back a few tickets and those will go for sale later, when and IF the Stones confirm to play there...

Posted by: cali stones fan ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:17

Maybe they are trying to get a new, younger audiance at these shows? Or maybe they saved some tickets back? I think I read on here that there usually are more tickets sold than were avaliable at the first ticket sale. This is all speculation though, I really don't know.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:18

Yes it's strange. Maybe they are not going to play there at all, who knows, nothing confirmed yet!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:29

[search.ebay.co.uk]

Dunno if this link will work, but I just typed in "isle of wight festival" and it brought up 74 items, lots tix of every variety for sale. Haven't looked at prices though, whether they're being marked up that is to say.

Date: March 21, 2007 10:32

Bloody hell how depressing. There's a few ads that make mention of the fact that that the Stones are headlining, and guess what ? Yeah, surprise surprise, the prices they're asking for the tickets have increased considerably.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:32

Judging by the reactions of fans on this board I can see why they wouldn't want to announce the Stones in advance. After all, who would want a festival to be ruined by a bunch of wingers who refuse to muck in with anyone else and who don't like ANY OTHER BAND IN THE WORLD except the headliners.

The Stones could easily sell out a 50000 venue on their own but the IOW didn't need an announcement of the stones to sell out all the tickets. If the stones had been announced then the festival would be empty for 2 1/2 days with a bunch of middle aged people with toungue logo t-shirts turning up (fresh from their luxurious hotel rooms) for the last act. That is not the spirit of the festival.

I always thought that stones fans were generally open and cosmopolitan. I guess that most are but some of the comments I've seen on other threads makes me question this.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:34

better they don't play any festivals. I guess they still can do on their own ;-)

Posted by: only stones ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:35

Yes, is strange.
I belive in new European tour, i don't belive Stones play in this revival party.
Sici

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:35

Hyde Park would be perfect for them!

Date: March 21, 2007 10:47

sjs12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Judging by the reactions of fans on this board I
> can see why they wouldn't want to announce the
> Stones in advance. After all, who would want a
> festival to be ruined by a bunch of wingers who
> refuse to muck in with anyone else and who don't
> like ANY OTHER BAND IN THE WORLD except the
> headliners.
>
> The Stones could easily sell out a 50000 venue on
> their own but the IOW didn't need an announcement
> of the stones to sell out all the tickets. If the
> stones had been announced then the festival would
> be empty for 2 1/2 days with a bunch of middle
> aged people with toungue logo t-shirts turning up
> (fresh from their luxurious hotel rooms) for the
> last act. That is not the spirit of the
> festival.
>
> I always thought that stones fans were generally
> open and cosmopolitan. I guess that most are but
> some of the comments I've seen on other threads
> makes me question this.

<<< After all, who would want a festival to be ruined by a bunch of wingers who refuse to muck in with anyone else and who don't like ANY OTHER BAND IN THE WORLD except the headliners. >>>

What a curious definition of Rolling Stones fans ? Presumably you fall into this category too ?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:51

It's just that too many folks around here have a knack of sometimes giving off the wrong vibes I think ;^)
...and we know it's agood place to come for a moan about anything...because there'll always be somebody who agrees !

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: March 21, 2007 11:00

only stones Wrote:
> Yes, is strange.
> I belive in new European tour, i don't belive
> Stones play in this revival party.
> Sici

//edit: I reacted primarily on this post:

> better they don't play any festivals. I guess they still can do on their
> own ;-)

WHAT? How narrowminded is this... You can't be serious. We don't own the Stones. It is great that they play a festival like this, it is great that so many younger people with open minds to music will see them there, without us fans filling the FOS area. It is a major challenge for the Stones, because they will relate themselves to the other acts that are present there, in fact to the new and fresh forces in modern music.

It also works the other way around: the new bands and their public will see themselves placed in 'realtime perspective' to the legendary greatness of a Rolling Stones live gig, and it will be up to everybody there to value this perspective. Playing, or even headlining a festival is a nowhere-to-hide thing: you MUST perform to meet the quality of the festival, in front of a critical audience that will NOT be forgiving based on historical achievements, but WILL be rewarding a great peformance today.

Although I won't be there, it is GREAT that the Stones will headline this festival, I hope they grab the opportunity with both hands.

Jelle

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-21 11:11 by sluissie.

Date: March 21, 2007 11:07

I agree with that Jelle, and in fact on the IOW Festival forum there are a lot of kids posting that they have not seen the Stones before and are looking forward to discovering for themselves what has made the band so enduring and so successful. The Stones reputation for Live performances has engendered excitement in fans who wouldn't necessarily have gone to a Stones concert.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 21, 2007 12:18

I agree that IOW is a great move.

Date: March 21, 2007 12:33

Beast Wrote:
> I agree that IOW is a great move.

Looks like you now have ex-spice girl, Mel C to enjoy on the Sunday line up!

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: March 21, 2007 12:39

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> Beast Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I agree that IOW is a great move.
>
> Looks like you now have ex-spice girl, Mel C to
> enjoy on the Sunday line up!

Ahh, so now we know who bought all the tickets, heehee...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 21, 2007 12:40

I'll cheerfully plead guilty to the no-camping charge, but I bought my IOW ticket on the basis that if the Stones didn't turn up I could still listen very happily to Muse, Amy Winehouse, Paolo Nutini, The Feeling, Snow Patrol and the Fratellis - and I'm still intending to do that.

I REALLY hope that sjs12 is wrong about Stones fans writing off the rest of the IOW festival as not-worth-attending. OK, the younger fans will learn about the Stones - but the education should go both ways....

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 21, 2007 12:49

completely agree Greenlady - i've discovered so much great music and bands, by wandering around stages at festivals.
If you hear something you don't like, just move on till you find something, that you do.
... i'm just gutted i missed out on ticket sales sad smiley

Date: March 21, 2007 12:52

Yeah me too adrian. Bummer...

What to do?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 21, 2007 12:55

So thats the Stones at the Isle of Wight and The Who at Glastonbury......

TOP news....

Posted by: millstone ()
Date: March 21, 2007 13:06

On the site of IOW there is a rumor, there will be place for additional 25.000 Stonesfans in the front of the field. Maybe this is why it was sold out so fast.

Date: March 21, 2007 13:07

Mr Jimmy Wrote:
> Yeah me too adrian. Bummer...
>
> What to do?

Adrian-L, Mr Jimmy. Keep the faith boys, you wanna go, you'll manage it. There's tickets up on e-bay, haven't scrutinised the prices in any detail myself, but I can't imagine you wouldn't succeed in getting one for perhaps "a little" over face value. Or as usual, late late late in the day, perhaps face value itself. Less of this defeatist talk. And the rest of us will be easy to find, we'll be the ones in the middle of the festival site warming our buns over a blazing fire of molten nylon ....... !!

Posted by: mainland source ()
Date: March 21, 2007 13:31

Personally i have never seen the Rolling Stones and don’t really know that much about them.

I am only 20 so relatively young, and bought my ticket before any of the rumors for the Stones began. But who am i most looking forward to... yep that’s right the Stones.
I don’t even need to question if they will be good or not, same with most of my mates (same age) who will be attending. We know they will be good, fact! And we also appreciate the fact that this will be something to say when we are old and grey like many of you (sorry lol).
IOW festival is famous for being so diverse and the IOW audience being young, old etc gives everyone a chance and i can guarantee you the Stones will make many new fans that night!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 21, 2007 13:34

get down the front and enjoy it, mainland- you'll have a ball

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: March 21, 2007 13:35

Very clever move (IOW Festival) by the Stones

very clever indeed!!

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: March 21, 2007 13:48

I don't want to get into arguing pro/against playing festivals, but I find it interesting that the IOW fetival organisers can afford to book the Stones. Probably the Stones are playing for much less than usual.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 21, 2007 14:09

Mr Jimmy Wrote:
> Yeah me too adrian. Bummer...
>
> What to do?

Bet some people there will be selling on their tickets for the last day.

Date: March 21, 2007 14:32

Beast Wrote:
> Mr Jimmy Wrote:
> -----
> > Yeah me too adrian. Bummer...
> >
> > What to do?
>
> Bet some people there will be selling on their
> tickets for the last day.

Yeah thats a good point. I guess there are some complete FOOLS that for some bizarre reason do not want to see the stones! Maybe it'll be like the few times when i've gone to a tube station later on in the day, and waited for someone to leave and place the travelcard that they've finished with on the barrier machines and then, Mr. Jimmy pounces on it like a spider to the fly, and a glorious free days worth of travelling is all mine all mine....! This was of course back in the days of my student youth!

Date: March 21, 2007 17:39

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> Beast Wrote:
> -----
> > I agree that IOW is a great move.
>
> Looks like you now have ex-spice girl, Mel C to
> enjoy on the Sunday line up!

Ex-Spice Mel C ? You have GOT to be kidding ? You're not though, are you ? Oh dear oh dear !!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home