Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stop the rumors...issue a statement if Ronnie is in
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 21, 2009 22:33

If these rumors about a lineup change are just rumors, then someone should issue a short, formal statement confirming Ron Wood is still a Rolling Stone.

The fact that this has not happened makes me wonder...and worries me; I hate lineup changes.

Re: Stop the rumors...issue a statement if Ronnie is in
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 21, 2009 22:35

Thats silly. No newspaper story has said he isn't, so why issue a statement?

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 22:36

On the other there is no formal statement confirming that Ron Wood is not a Rolling Stone anymore.

I go with this one unless otherwise confirmed.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 21, 2009 22:52

the san francisco chronicle has an exclusive story today confirming that ronnie wood has voluntarily left the stones to concentrate on his more lucrative solo career.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 22:54

In due time, in due time!

No need to rush!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 21, 2009 22:56

its not so much rumors as it is speculation

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 22:57

Gazza,
What's your take on it?!

Date: December 21, 2009 23:18

On what?

No report has ever said that he's been dismissed or is still a band member - so there's nothing to confirm or deny.

At present, that is.

The Daily Mail story has only upped the ante on something that a few of us have been speculating now for several weeks - namely that Ronnie's health could well be an issue on him getting insurance or medical clearance to tour.

All the article is really saying that if that's the case, then the band are going to be put in a position where they are going to have to make a very painful decision as to his future.

I dont see anything in that article thats particularly surprising. Its just obviously shocked some people to see in print something which is actually quite a logical issue that has to be addressed and which a lot of fans are in denial about - namely that it's quite evident that Ronnie's in such a state that his future role in the band and his life in general are both at risk in the very near future the way he's going. He's been told about this so many times and seems hell bent on ignoring all the warning signs.

Bands change line-ups every few years anyway. The Stones tend not to and have lasted longer than most (there have been only three line up changes since 1963 - and only one of them was an enforced change), so its hard for a lot of people to accept the reality of another one as they're simply not familiar with the concept.

The hard reality is that even if the Stones want to keep Ronnie in the band - and I genuinely believe they all do - if they're going to be able to go on the road, for purely business reasons, the decision to retain him might be effectively taken away from them. Theres hundreds of millions of dollars at stake here when it comes to sponsorship, promoter guarantees etc - and these people aren't going to make a huge investment on something if they're not going to have their asses covered if something happens.

The Stones have to go through this procedure for insurance purposes every time they embark on a world tour, and NOTHING can get started unless they get the medical OK to do so. Considering they're all five years older than they were in 2005, that clearance gets harder to come by - and its going to be much harder for someone who has fallen off the wagon as often as Ronnie has done and who seems to live in total denial about his condition or simply doesnt seem to care anymore.

They won't really have anything to confirm or deny until either a) they announce a tour and Ronnie is in the band as normal or b) he's been told there's no chance of him being able to get medical clearance and they have to publicly confirm that they're looking for someone else to step in (thats IF they still decide to tour anyway).

I doubt any announcements on anything will be made until Ronnie finishes his next spot of rehab, whenever that is. Only after that can they really get a good idea about what his position is likely to be.

Until then, we can all only hope that the poor guy has finally seen all this as a wake up call and that he can sort his life and health out before its too late.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-21 23:20 by Gazza.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 21, 2009 23:36

guess this means the Faces reunion is off too..

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 23:40

Gazza
On what?

No report has ever said that he's been dismissed or is still a band member - so there's nothing to confirm or deny.

At present, that is.

The Daily Mail story has only upped the ante on something that a few of us have been speculating now for several weeks - namely that Ronnie's health could well be an issue on him getting insurance or medical clearance to tour.

All the article is really saying that if that's the case, then the band are going to be put in a position where they are going to have to make a very painful decision as to his future.

I dont see anything in that article thats particularly surprising. Its just obviously shocked some people to see in print something which is actually quite a logical issue that has to be addressed and which a lot of fans are in denial about - namely that it's quite evident that Ronnie's in such a state that his future role in the band and his life in general are both at risk in the very near future the way he's going. He's been told about this so many times and seems hell bent on ignoring all the warning signs.

Bands change line-ups every few years anyway. The Stones tend not to and have lasted longer than most (there have been only three line up changes since 1963 - and only one of them was an enforced change), so its hard for a lot of people to accept the reality of another one as they're simply not familiar with the concept.

The hard reality is that even if the Stones want to keep Ronnie in the band - and I genuinely believe they all do - if they're going to be able to go on the road, for purely business reasons, the decision to retain him might be effectively taken away from them. Theres hundreds of millions of dollars at stake here when it comes to sponsorship, promoter guarantees etc - and these people aren't going to make a huge investment on something if they're not going to have their asses covered if something happens.

The Stones have to go through this procedure for insurance purposes every time they embark on a world tour, and NOTHING can get started unless they get the medical OK to do so. Considering they're all five years older than they were in 2005, that clearance gets harder to come by - and its going to be much harder for someone who has fallen off the wagon as often as Ronnie has done and who seems to live in total denial about his condition or simply doesnt seem to care anymore.

They won't really have anything to confirm or deny until either a) they announce a tour and Ronnie is in the band as normal or b) he's been told there's no chance of him being able to get medical clearance and they have to publicly confirm that they're looking for someone else to step in (thats IF they still decide to tour anyway).

I doubt any announcements on anything will be made until Ronnie finishes his next spot of rehab, whenever that is. Only after that can they really get a good idea about what his position is likely to be.

Until then, we can all only hope that the poor guy has finally seen all this as a wake up call and that he can sort his life and health out before its too late.

LOL ... deja vu... it's 1969 all over again. Almost the same case as Brian Jones...

Date: December 21, 2009 23:41

Re: the Faces reunion.

Not necessarily. That would be on a much smaller scale financially.

Then again, I dont think it was ever really "on" - but thats another discussion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-22 00:28 by Gazza.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: December 21, 2009 23:57

Gazza, your reasoning is fairly faultless imo but I would like to qualify your final sentiments:-

"Until then, we can all only hope that the poor guy has finally seen all this as a wake up call and that he can sort his life and health out before its too late."

I'd like him to kick booze for good of his own accord after 40+ years.
Slim chance without Jo, I reckon, or even with her come to that.
Praying would be a better option than 'only hoping'.

The poor guy????

Nobody's fault but his.

They can roll without Ronnie - why should/would they let his failings stop them?

Come to think of it - it must be hard to get insurance for Keith and Charlie (the latter cos of his cancer scare). Even if they do pass medicals the premiums must get much higher each tour - and the 'Excesses'!

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: December 22, 2009 00:02

Four Stone Walls
---

The poor guy????

Nobody's fault but his.

They can roll without Ronnie - why should/would they let his failings stop them?

---

Reckon you have no alcoholism genes yourself, have you, FSW?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 22, 2009 00:12

T&A
the san francisco chronicle has an exclusive story today confirming that ronnie wood has voluntarily left the stones to concentrate on his more lucrative solo career.

Painting, right?

Date: December 22, 2009 00:20

T&A

Link? I have been checkin their site but cant find what you describing.

Date: December 22, 2009 00:26

Four Stone Walls
Gazza, your reasoning is fairly faultless imo but I would like to qualify your final sentiments:-

"Until then, we can all only hope that the poor guy has finally seen all this as a wake up call and that he can sort his life and health out before its too late."

The poor guy????

Nobody's fault but his.

Come to think of it - it must be hard to get insurance for Keith and Charlie (the latter cos of his cancer scare). Even if they do pass medicals the premiums must get much higher each tour - and the 'Excesses'!

My apologies for not wanting the guy to die.

I've never suggested for one moment that his problems are anything but his own making. Nor have I suggested that the Stones should put their career on hold if he's beyond help.

That doesnt alter my opinion that whats happening to him is a f***ing tragic waste of a life.

Date: December 22, 2009 00:28

SF Chronicle First Page, no Ronnie there.. Inside? [www.sfgate.com]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 22, 2009 00:43

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 22, 2009 00:58

What I don't understand -in 1999 Wood was a total wreck, as he was in 2003. Then he sobered up and saved Keith's ass after the palm tree incident. He looks good now, with new wig and all. Some problems with prostitutes, but we've all been there before.

Why on earth tour without Wood? If so, why on earth tour at all? Isn't this the regular Stones press machine working again on "it's the last time!", so we all will buy the $800 tickets again?

Mathijs

Date: December 22, 2009 01:17

Back Of My Palm
Four Stone Walls
---

The poor guy????

Nobody's fault but his.

---

Reckon you have no alcoholism genes yourself, have you, FSW?

'Alcoholism genes'? Enlighten me / us on the subject.

Alice Cooper had alcohol problems. Robbie Williams. Sure to be many others like them. Don't know if they had 'alcoholic genes' - but they were able to recognise their problem and deal with it. I'm not sure that they should have been pitied - or have expected it.

I doubt whether Ronnie would expect or want our sympathy or pity. Would he seek to blame anyone else - or his 'alcoholic genes'? - I seriously doubt it. He has said he regrets none of it, (meaning the drink and drugs).

I don't think that 'pity' is the appropriate sentiment in his circumstances, (or that of anyone who might have 'alcoholic genes' and have, for example, assaulted their girlfriend/boyfriend).

I'd like him to get his act together - for his own good, not just for the band - but failing that there's no need for sentimentality (nor do I think Gazza was being sentimental) - Ronnie's had many chances and another guitarist could/would/should be found.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 22, 2009 01:21

...I think The Stones should plan an intervention, and film it....sort of like a rock n' roll reality series to compete against "The Jacksons"...or even better ..."Jersey Shore".....

Date: December 22, 2009 01:21

ooops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-22 01:38 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 22, 2009 01:32

Back Of My Palm
I believe good old T & A was kidding Bro. The next exclusive the SF Chronicle has will be thier first. They are even less dependable than a British tabloid.....And they try to pass themselves off as serious journalists.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: December 22, 2009 01:36

Gazza
Four Stone Walls

The poor guy????

Nobody's fault but his.

My apologies for not wanting the guy to die.

I've never suggested for one moment that his problems are anything but his own making. Nor have I suggested that the Stones should put their career on hold if he's beyond help.

That doesnt alter my opinion that whats happening to him is a f***ing tragic waste of a life.

Apologies accepted!

we're on the same wavelength generally - the only bit I find 'problematic' is the the 'what's happening to him' bit.... as if he were some passive victim of exterior forces beyond his control - (who knows -perhaps this is the case!)

he's had a f***cking good life by most people's standards ...... (and ofcourse you weren't sugesting he hasn't ...........)

..... and well, I just find it hard to feel sympathy in his case ...... although I want him to succeed .....

.......... and in the context tragic figures - how about Oedipus?

I know it's Only Sophocles but ......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-22 01:43 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 22, 2009 02:19

Apart from the medical, **IF** Ronnie is charged with assault and ends up with a conviction - all of which remains to be seen - then his entry to the United States probably couldn't be taken for granted. Or at least that's how it would be for your regular Joe Public. Any telling whether it'd be different for a member of the Rolling Stones with its army of fixers?

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: December 22, 2009 02:46

I think there has been enough chatter in the press about their indecision on whether or not they will tour with Ronnie that the original poster is right, they should issue a statement. When it was reported a few months ago that Charlie was out they certainly wasted no time saying it was bull-shit. I know that was from an article that stated very specifically that Charlie had quit, and it got picked up by other outlets, but the fact that they haven't done the same for Ronnie seems odd to me.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 22, 2009 02:48

Rolling Stones go Metallica?

Date: December 22, 2009 02:49

>I know that was from an article that stated very specifically that Charlie had quit, and it got picked up by other outlets,

thats the difference though. the talk about Ronnie is only what MAY or may not happen, and refers to an as yet unresolved health issue.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 22, 2009 04:35

Back Of My Palm

It was just a joke Back Of My Palm. there was never any story in the Chronicle.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: December 22, 2009 05:00

you guys speak of ronnie as if you are close friends with him.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home