Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: XM and Sirius Satellite Pay Radio to Merge - Headline - New York Times
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 20, 2007 18:15

Well, this news doesn't really surprise me cause I always wondered about paying for radio (especially when it runs advertising like free radio always has and the way SIRIUS does NOW). On top of the ads you pay $12.95 a month plus buying the receiver. Also, for say HOWARD STERN it's my understanding he's still being somewhat censored - self censorship maybe - where's the big advantage? The NY TIMES is saying that combined the 2 companies are 6 BILLION in the hole. On top of that STERN pulled in $725 MILLION - 1000 MILLION is a BILLION !!! No way should a funny DJ be making Jagger/Macca money - sorry, the talent/work levels are so much different. CEO Mel Karmazin tried to reach STERN for a comment but he's on vacation and can't be reached..... Man, sounds the same as when HOWARD was on free radio - ALWAYS on vacation....this guy is the best FLIM FLAN man working today..... What do you SIRIUS/XM people think??? Anybody else that just finds it fascinating to PAY for what was once FREE !!!

Re: OT: XM and Sirius Satellite Pay Radio to Merge - Headline - New York Times
Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: February 20, 2007 18:36

Well, there was a time when I would have scoffed at the notion of paying for water or spending $350.00 for a Stones ticket.....

I don't have one but given that radio, at least where I live, SUCKS, the idea of paying less than .50 a day to get an infinite array of choices is not altogether unappealing. Bought one for my father and he loves it, people in the office have it and love it. I don't know, does not seem so "outrageous". If you don't like the idea, fine; don't get one. Pretty simple and your choice.

As for Howard---who are you, I, or anyone who does not employ him to say what he should get paid? Would you want someone weighing in on your salary who was not your employer? Do you think it would be less than $12.95 a month if he was not on satellite? And, I had no idea you were entrusted with the responsibility of "ranking" talent. Do you think Britney Spears should be worth 100 million and outsell the Stones 10 to 1. I certainly don't, but obviously others, many others in fact, do. It's their money and last I checked we operated in a free market system.

Posted by: button_your_lip ()
Date: February 20, 2007 18:40

Its all about free enterprise, but also about responsible corporate management, Sirius is in Sirius trouble. I don't mind paying for the service, just as many of us never thought we would pay for TV.

Date: February 20, 2007 18:46

button_your_lip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its all about free enterprise, but also about
> responsible corporate management, Sirius is in
> Sirius trouble. I don't mind paying for the
> service, just as many of us never thought we would
> pay for TV.

Bingo---I was just thinking of the anaolgy of free tv vs cable--to me it is the exact same thing. If you do want to pay for the service, that's fine, but for not a whole lot of money you can get a service that is light yrs better.

As for Sirius, if you run your business poorly or make bad/poor decisions, then there is a consequence for that. It is unfortunate, but it is also reality.

Posted by: button_your_lip ()
Date: February 20, 2007 18:51

LOL...glass, I was just thinking back. I love Sirius, and my only pet peeve was when I went to Krispy Kreme drive thru, the satellite was cut off until you pulled out.

Well Krispy Kreme being in Sirius trouble also, closed down our local shop

I am now pet peeve free, not to mention uneeded donut calories.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 20, 2007 20:09

I like Sirius. I like XM. Stern is an overrated ass*ole.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 20, 2007 20:32

Well, I get free XM stations on my Direct TV Satellite and every once in a while will listen to some music (must admit, sounds just like a CD) but it's pretty rare.If I had a lot less CD's I'd probably really get into it and pay the cash just to hear all the high quality music all day long. As far as Stern I used to be a Super big fan but now i just think he's all about the cash. I'm not saying he's not worth it (Well, IMO he;s not) but that amount of cash is way overboard for a STERN radio show, I mean really.....

Date: February 20, 2007 20:43

Well, for me the sound is just an added bonus--I like the fact that you can listen to music that you might actually want to listen to instead of the awful crap on "free radio" which is just unlistenable, imo.

As for Stern, I too am tired of him and the amount of money is a bit of a joke.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: February 20, 2007 23:45

To be fair, the only stations on Sirius that have ads are the news/talk stations. The music stations (at least the ones I listen to) are commercial free. I personally think that for 12.95 per month, Sirius is a good deal. There's a wide variety of stuff to listen to. (It was even better when they had the Stones channel). I can only hope that the merger will offer listeners even more and better choices. Time will tell.

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: February 20, 2007 23:52

What Happened to the all stones station on Sirius. I went away over Xmas and when I came back NO MORE STONES ON 98- replaced by the WHo. I dont care what happens with Sirius/XM merger but I want the boys back.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 21, 2007 03:38

Who were touring, Stones were not.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 21, 2007 05:10

button_your_lip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL...glass, I was just thinking back. I love
> Sirius, and my only pet peeve was when I went to
> Krispy Kreme drive thru, the satellite was cut off
> until you pulled out.
>
> Well Krispy Kreme being in Sirius trouble also,
> closed down our local shop
>
> I am now pet peeve free, not to mention uneeded
> donut calories.

You are too funny. I have friends that have sirius and love it. I am not yet inclined to do so. Lip iyho is it worth it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home