Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Brian Jones and Let it bleed!
Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: December 19, 2009 16:29

We know that Brian only played on two songs on the Let it bleed album, "You can't always get what you want" and "midnight rambler". Some of the songs were recorded during Beggars Banquet and in the spring of 1969. Do we know if he heard the songs they recorded AFTER he was sacked? Did he ever hear "honky tonk women" with Taylor? According to his father, Brian played him a tape with honky tonk women, BUT a version with Brian on!! Did Brian ever hear "gimme shelter" or the other stuff that was on?
merry X-mas

Re: Brian Jones and Let it bleed!
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 19, 2009 16:31

Kuntaman
We know that Brian only played on two songs on the Let it bleed album, "You can't always get what you want" and "midnight rambler". Some of the songs were recorded during Beggars Banquet and in the spring of 1969. Do we know if he heard the songs they recorded AFTER he was sacked? Did he ever hear "honky tonk women" with Taylor? According to his father, Brian played him a tape with honky tonk women, BUT a version with Brian on!! Did Brian ever hear "gimme shelter" or the other stuff that was on?
merry X-mas

Jones plays on Midnight Rambler and You Got the Silver, not YCAGWYW.

Mathijs

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: December 19, 2009 17:02

Will someone educate me? I've been listening to 'Let It Bleed' for 25 years and I for the life of me can't hear a darn bit of Brian on either MR nor YGTS. Dave Marsh said (inexplicably) in his CREEM review of the album that Brian's auto harp on YGTS is "practically the lead instrument on the song." What was he smoking? I can't even hear an auto harp.

Tommy

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 19, 2009 17:09

Dave Marsh had his head too far up Springsteen's ass to hear anything. Brian was not in the mix on LIB.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 19, 2009 17:14

Outside Olympic Studios circa Feb/March 1969

None of the songs on Let It Bleed feature any recorded music from any earlier than November 1968, the sessions for Beggars Banquet were complete by July 1968.

Brian is shown as being present during what is most likely 15th March 1969 recording session at Olympic Studios. This is when the choir for YCAGWYW was overdubbed and early takes of Gimme Shelter were recorded/attempted.

Ethan Russell was present and probably took the following 4 photos from that day.

Then there's the shots of him at Redlands with the band, Jack and Ry. Guess they would be from around April/May as Ry says he played with the stones for about a month. Photos by Michael Cooper.

There's also pics from a couple more Olympic sessions which also appear to be from circa May 1969. Eric Hayes took most if not all of the following photos.

RIP Brian!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-19 17:22 by His Majesty.

Date: December 19, 2009 17:17

71Tele
Dave Marsh had his head too far up Springsteen's ass to hear anything. Brian was not in the mix on LIB.

He is clear as a whistle on Silver, you obviously just don't know what a strummed autoharp sounds like.

He's only strumming chords, it's pretty obvious in the mix. The opposite side from Keith's acoustic if I remember right.

It's probably Brian, with Charlie doing the big thumps during the break down in Midnight Rambler... ''You heard about the Boston''... Bang!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-19 17:19 by His Majesty.

Date: December 19, 2009 17:21

<< He is clear as a whistle on Silver, you obviously just don't know what a strummed autoharp sounds like.

Yes I do, since I have played them, but always thought that was a guitar on YGTS. I'll give it another spin. >>

Date: December 19, 2009 17:24

71Tele

Yes I do, since I have played them, but always thought that was a guitar on YGTS. I'll give it another spin. >>

Nah, it's an autoharp. If you've played one I'm surprised you don't hear it as such.

Date: December 19, 2009 17:27

The photos of Brian with the white T-Shirt and cans might be my favorite Brian pictures.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 19, 2009 19:20

Great pictures. Especially the one with the choir when they record YCAGWYW

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 19, 2009 20:05

Real cool pics indeed. It's hard to imagine that he would be sacked later on. He looks very activate on these pics. :-(

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 19, 2009 20:18

Thanks for the photos, H M thumbs up!
Several I hadn´t seen before, including the one with Brian and the choir.

I wonder what Brian played on during this period (February-May 1969), apart from what´s been released.
Maybe it was just jams / rehearsals / basic tracks which wasn´t used?
Available outtakes/alternates are Gimmie Shelter (2 versions)/You Got The Silver/Sister Morphine/I Was Just A Country Boy/Honky Tonk Women and possibly Aladdin Story
- but I can´t here any Brian on them. (except You Got The Silver)
Perhaps there are more tracks that I don´t know about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-19 20:20 by rootsman.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 19, 2009 21:07

Come to think of it - maybe it´s Brian playing guitar on I Was Just A Country Boy?...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 19, 2009 21:49

Tommy, I dont hear the autoharp on "Silver" either.But what is strange I DO hear an autoharp on "Country Honk". NOT the released version(maybe its buried or removed?) but if you listen closely on the outtake version(the one that has no horn honk or fiddle on it) especially as the chorus starts you can hear the high ringing strumming of an autoharp. I think I sent you the Mickboy Bleed remaster? listen to the "Honk' out on it and tell me what you think. Of course I'm sure there will be plenty here that will say I'm wrong!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 19, 2009 21:55

Your wrong scottkeef winking smiley

Date: December 19, 2009 22:01

Maybe so but I dont think you had time to listen to it! LOL

Date: December 19, 2009 22:14

scottkeef
Tommy, I dont hear the autoharp on "Silver" either.

On silver it sounds like a 12 string being strummed, the only instrument being strummed. It's definitely there and really obvious, puzzled why folks aren't hearing it.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 19, 2009 22:23

His Majesty
scottkeef
Tommy, I dont hear the autoharp on "Silver" either.

On silver it sounds like a 12 string being strummed, the only instrument being strummed. It's definitely there and really obvious, puzzled why folks aren't hearing it.

If I remembr correctly, you can really hear it in the instrumental section
of Silver.
He does something similar on Ride On Baby, those sweeping autoharp chords.

Date: December 19, 2009 22:23

Well now that you specifically point it out(after going and giving a fresh listen) I do hear what you are talking about. It just seems too low pitched and full to me not to be a guitar but I aint no expert!On the other hand on the "Country Honk" outtake it clearly sounds like it to me (but again I aint no expert!) Heres the link to Urbansteels post that has it if anyone wants to listen. [www.iorr.org]

On "Ride On Baby" are you talking about the harpsichord???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-19 22:28 by scottkeef.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: December 19, 2009 22:28

Thats Mick Taylor Playing The Slide...Its listed on the Album Credits

Date: December 19, 2009 22:28

scottkeef
Well now that you specifically point it out(after going and giving a fresh listen) I do hear what you are talking about. It just seems too low pitched and full to me not to be a guitar but I aint no expert!On the other hand on the "Country Honk" outtake it clearly sounds like it to me (but again I aint no expert!) Heres the link to Urbansteels post that has it if anyone wants to listen. [www.iorr.org]

Autoharps have a wide range, they go lower than a standard tuned guitar.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 19, 2009 22:29

scottkeef
Maybe so but I dont think you had time to listen to it! LOL

I was just joking.

I listen to both songs a few time but I can't say it sounds clear to me, on Country Honk I hear somthing that sounds a bit as a violine and on Silver I don't know what to hear

Date: December 19, 2009 22:33

His Majesty

Autoharps have a wide range, they go lower than a standard tuned guitar.

well,that does make sense!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 19, 2009 23:32

This is such a great thread -- I can't listen to the songs right now but will be doing so later!

And His Majesty....I don't know what to say about those photos. They're so beautiful, and I haven't seen even one of them. Brian does not look like the bleary out of it guy on say, Rock n Roll Circus, and the Godard film. He looks full of life and light and very into playing. Wow -- thank you so much for posting!

Date: December 20, 2009 00:42

scottkeef

On "Ride On Baby" are you talking about the harpsichord???

On Ride On Baby, he strums the autoharp before the line in each verse

(chord) A smile on your face
(chord) but not in your eyes
etc...

Date: December 20, 2009 00:48

71Tele

Are you sure you don't mean Jon Landau?
Both of them probably, so...

Date: December 20, 2009 00:56

<< Are you sure you don't mean Jon Landau?
Both of them probably, so... >>

Yes, both. I love Bruce but Marsh was the biggest suck-ass rock journalist to cover him, and he wrote two books on the Boss which were hagiography, not biography. Don't ask any tough questions, don't look behind the scenes, keep the myth in place at all costs. He was too close to his subject to have any objectivity.

If you want a real laugh, look up Landau's review of the IORR album in Rolling Stone. He made that record sound like it was Sgt. Pepper or something. An Important Event. Landau has been instrumental in Bruce's career, but sometimes I wonder if he steered Bruce in a direction that was not particularly good for him at certain times. Sorry for the OT content.

Date: December 20, 2009 01:10

71Tele
<< Are you sure you don't mean Jon Landau?
Both of them probably, so... >>

Yes, both. I love Bruce but Marsh was the biggest suck-ass rock journalist to cover him, and he wrote two books on the Boss which were hagiography, not biography. Don't ask any tough questions, don't look behind the scenes, keep the myth in place at all costs. He was too close to his subject to have any objectivity.

If you want a real laugh, look up Landau's review of the IORR album in Rolling Stone. He made that record sound like it was Sgt. Pepper or something. An Important Event. Landau has been instrumental in Bruce's career, but sometimes I wonder if he steered Bruce in a direction that was not particularly good for him at certain times. Sorry for the OT content.

It's been a long time since I read Mansion On The Hill, but if I remember correctly, Landau doesn't come across too good.
He also thought Dylans's Pat Garrett soundtrack was supposed to be some
grand return, not seeing it for what it was: just a soundtrack.
Even Dylan said "Landau's got his head up his ass..."
Yeah, me, too. Sorry about the OT.

BTW, what's Brian credited on Rambler? Percussion, right?
I think His Majesty's right, it'sjust on the lound middle bit.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: December 20, 2009 03:51

Thanks a million for the pics!! This is perfect evidence that proves that Brian Jones wasn't the out of control drug addict that the Glimmer Twins has wanted is to believe for a looong time. But I guess that it was easier to blame him after he died than to tell the truth what's been going on behind the scenes. Too bad some people still buy that crap...

swiss
Brian does not look like the bleary out of it guy on say, Rock n Roll Circus, and the Godard film.
A part of Brian's appearance in RnR Circus had to do with him crying backstage (according to Pete Townsend). You can really see that he isn't feeling alright standing pretty much isolated from the rest of the band during the Stones performance. It wasn't all drugs. The final nail in the coffin was that they cut his guitar out of the mix in the final release.

In the Godard film I don't see anything wrong with him. He looks (in those tiny bits they show him to us) pretty much like he do on the pics above. A little shorter hair maybe.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: December 20, 2009 04:03

That last pic of brian shows him with a Harmonica in his hand.
Shame his Harmonica playing isn't featured on the album (as far as we know)

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2130
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home