Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Cool audience shots from Stones 1972 DC show
Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 16, 2009 20:12

I'm not sure if this link has been posted. I stumbled across Dr. Bob's blog a few months ago but the photos were no longer viewable. I e-mailed Dr. Bob & he kindly reposted them.

[docisinblog.com]

Makes one wonder what other photos are lying around in boxes in garages around the world.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Re: Cool audience shots from Stones 1972 DC show
Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: December 16, 2009 20:21

Great photos!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 16, 2009 22:53

thanks for posting -- very cool!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: December 17, 2009 00:00

The version of: You Can't Always Get What You Want

Is my all time fave!!!! Taylor rip's it on this one!!!!

MLC

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 17, 2009 00:17

those are nice shots... would like to see them at higher resolution.

pretty good notes too, though he gets the year of taylor's joining wrong.

which, if either, of those Les Pauls is the one that's the subject of its own thread here?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 17, 2009 00:20

i haven't looked at the site yet, but the one dubbed the Keithburst had a thread of its own -
the one Keith got in 1964 and then sold to Mick T in late 1967. that one wasn't in the Stones' hands in 1972, though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-17 00:25 by with sssoul.

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: December 17, 2009 00:37

misterfrias,
Thank you for passing along the link.

Date: December 17, 2009 00:40

with sssoul
i haven't looked at the site yet, but the one dubbed the Keithburst had a thread of its own -
the one Keith got in 1964 and then sold to Mick T in late 1967. that one wasn't in the Stones' hands in 1972, though

ah ok; then I still have some work to do to get my IORR-certified Learned Guitar Connoisseurship Stamp...

Date: December 17, 2009 00:49

Keith looks bad-ass; especially in the shot with Wyman.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 17, 2009 00:50

Notice that Mick isn't wearing the gold leather Midnight Rambler belt.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 17, 2009 01:38

thanks much for this! i was at the show sitting on the home team dugout. PERFECT...even for a stadium...but alas, even then, young beely notices sound disperses oddly, not so major hit u in the haid as msg two weeks later...saw that one too...
stevie was unbelievable that performance. he was at the top of his considerable powers with an amazing amazing band...!! little did i know that i would see most of Wonderlove on the stage with all of the Stones including nicky and stu and bobby k.!! oh man...that was so unforgettable. wow a tour off of sf and eoms. i mean...i'm speechless. it was profoundly majestic in every way. it got to ya deep.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 17, 2009 04:01

Beelyboy
thanks much for this! i was at the show sitting on the home team dugout. PERFECT...even for a stadium...but alas, even then, young beely notices sound disperses oddly, not so major hit u in the haid as msg two weeks later...saw that one too...
stevie was unbelievable that performance. he was at the top of his considerable powers with an amazing amazing band...!! little did i know that i would see most of Wonderlove on the stage with all of the Stones including nicky and stu and bobby k.!! oh man...that was so unforgettable. wow a tour off of sf and eoms. i mean...i'm speechless. it was profoundly majestic in every way. it got to ya deep.

was the stadium packed?

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 17, 2009 04:24

melillo
Beelyboy

was the stadium packed?

I didn't go to the show (I was only 2) in 1972 but I imagine the show easily sold out. RFK Stadium is not very large (maybe holds 55,000?). I do remember & saw a lot of other concerts there -- Paul McCartney, The Who, The Grateful Dead -- and they were jam packed. I remember the Stones played there in 1990 & sold out.

Back in 1990, I wasn't really into The Rolling Stones. A co-worker offered me a a floor seat ticket to see the Steel Wheels show, but I passed eye rolling smiley

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 17, 2009 12:14

Ah yes ,I liked these ones !
I remember when I first saw them on a Shiddobee thread ,I was really impressed by the photo that shows the audience climbing on the stage !!

BTW ,do we know if the guy with the hat is Bob Dylan ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: December 17, 2009 12:40

Guy in the hat...are you talking about Bianca over there?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 17, 2009 12:49

cc
those are nice shots... would like to see them at higher resolution.

I got a few of them in better resolution

by Dr. Bob

by Dr. Bob

by Dr. Bob

Posted by: Peterdv ()
Date: December 17, 2009 14:00

wow , thoase are beautifull pictures :-)

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 17, 2009 16:21

Many thanks for such wonderful pics!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 17, 2009 18:36

DeliveranceStraightwayHoliness
Guy in the hat...are you talking about Bianca over there?

I am talking about the second photo ,and the "person " on the very left side of it ,just "beside" Jagger .

Oops ...
Could I been mistaken ? I was pretty sure that Dylan intended the show ...and was the person with the hat one the photo ....

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 17, 2009 18:40

Beautiful shots
Thanks

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 17, 2009 19:34

Erik_Snow

by Dr. Bob
CC, since you asked about the guitar in this pic, I can say with a high degree of certaintity that the Les Paul you see Keith playing is the same one Mick is playing below.

In fact, there are may pics of both Keith and Mick playing this guitar. Here is recent pic of it form its current home, somewhere in England:

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 17, 2009 21:05

>> CC, since you asked about the guitar in this pic, I can say with a high degree of certainty
that the Les Paul you see Keith playing is the same one Mick is playing below. <<

that's the one nicknamed "Claw", with its telltale stripe between the pickups.
i remember when you pointed out that both Keith and Mick T played that one, ChrisM -
that was very exciting :E

Date: December 18, 2009 00:12

cheers, thanks all... so is taylor also playing "Claw" at the show, or is that a different 'burst?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 18, 2009 00:14

melillo
Beelyboy

was the stadium packed?

oh yeah!!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 18, 2009 01:12

cc
cheers, thanks all... so is taylor also playing "Claw" at the show, or is that a different 'burst?
Keith used that Les Paul throughout the '72 tour and at some point it wound up in Mick Taylor's hands, who used it throughout the '73 tour up until the mid '80s.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home