Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gimme shelter studio or live?
Posted by: robertcharles ()
Date: December 16, 2009 02:29

I still love the studioversion.In live versions I miss after that wonderfull instrumental intro ( and the song begins with the harmonica,Mick?)why not in live performances and thery.re are just a few simple notes.That song makes it for me complete.

Re: Gimme shelter studio or live?
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: December 16, 2009 02:44

the best rock n' roll song of all time! the studio version is soooo @#$%& goooood, not even the stones themselfes can reproduce that live. i was always a bit disapointed about the live versions i heard, but as i said: thats because on the studio version everything, EVERYTHING is absolutely perfect!

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:20

Agree that the studio version is probably the greatest thing ever recorded. And never understood why Mick never played harp on the live version. But if anything comes close to sheer intensity and musicianship of the studio version, it's this:

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:22

Greatest of all time???
probably..in the context of the time I had to take a shot myself to find out
eh Keith!!!

Date: December 16, 2009 03:23

Yes, I had forgotten how good the Paradiso version was. However I still love the 1973 live versions best. They were heavier, faster and stronger musically.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:26

Nothing beats the 1972-73 Versions of Gimme Shelter, I'm guessing if you don't
collect the Boots you wouldn't know that ...

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:27

Always take the studio version over live Stones' versions.

However, I consider the Winos' versions the definitive and greatest version of one of the greatest tracks in music.

Would love Keith to pull this one out himself on the next tour, if he's able.

Date: December 16, 2009 03:31

Posted by: robertcharles ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:40

YES MY FELLOW STONES FANS.i MISS THAT HARP-ITS,A KIND OFF SIGNAL TO THE REST OF THE BAND WHEN MICK WANT TO SAY -nOW I, AM STARTING THE SONG.And from that moment on that song gonna roll like it,s meant to be?The whole stucture changes through the years(Keith ideas)But i like the Paradiso version.,but it a little bit slow comparing to LIB.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:47

Love and own Brussels Affair, heard the Philly shows, watched the 70s clips on youtube, but I still prefer Paradiso to those 70s era versions of GS. Taylor does too much noodling for my tastes. Ronnie (here at least) fits the song better, and Keith contributes more substantively. just my opinion though.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 16, 2009 04:39

Lisa on the BTB was AMAZIN on this track and she's never come close to that level of notes again. So for me the Stripped BSide version by far the superior rendition of this bad boy......

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2009 05:21

Hard to say it's BETTER than '73 (and we don't have video of that!) but it is a smoking, excellent version. Love that Keith is playing a Les Paul Jr - same model and color as mine!

Date: December 16, 2009 05:52

Not sure I've heard a '73 version...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 16, 2009 06:23

If you were to rate Stones songs on a scale of 1 to 100, and give each song TWO scores, a score for the studio version of the song, and a score for the best live version of the song, and combine the two scores, you would have no choice but to come to the conclusion that Gimmie Shelter is, overall, their best song.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2009 06:29

<< Not sure I've heard a '73 version... >>

You should hear it. It's on the Brussels Affair boot and many others from the '73 Europe tour.

Date: December 16, 2009 06:34

Brussels unfortunately is one of the boots I don't have

Date: December 16, 2009 07:15

VoodooLounge13
Brussels unfortunately is one of the boots I don't have

well then, Enjoy this version of Gimme Shelter

Gimme Shelter 10-17-1973 KBFH

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 16, 2009 13:02

While I'm Mick Taylor fan, in my opinion the best version is GS during the 89/90 tour with great solos of Ron Wood and a perfect mode of interweaving between Keith and Ronnie. GS is a good example of a song which develops its full potential by and by. It is one of the greatest rock songs of all time with the simple but unfortunately very true words: "War, children, is just a shot away ..."

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 16, 2009 13:21

my favourite version is the altamont soundboard from A SHOT OF SALVATION. when bill enters with the bass it blows me away

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 16, 2009 13:25

tough question.

As much as I love the 72-73 Taylor-soaring live versions I still prefer to hear the haunting 1969 live versions (e.g. Altamont)...I think they capture the haunting aspect of the song better. I'm surprised they didn't play this more often - especially at MSG.

The 1972-73 period was just a show piece for the band....and a superb one at that!

The 1975 versions with Ronnie are OK as well.

But at the end of the day, the studio version wins....

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: December 16, 2009 13:37

JMoisica
Agree that the studio version is probably the greatest thing ever recorded. And never understood why Mick never played harp on the live version. But if anything comes close to sheer intensity and musicianship of the studio version, it's this:

Never understood why some people wants the songs played live to sound like the studio versions.
Like listening a jukebox. Boring experience imho.

The most interesting live performances are the ones that take some freedom from the studio take...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 16, 2009 14:57

Out of all the live versions I've heard I still think the No Security version is the best.

Aside from the LP version that is.

Re: Gimmie Shelter
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 16, 2009 15:11

the demo version with Keith singing lead does it for me -
something about his phrasing and timbre that is just ... speechless-making. like no other can

Date: December 16, 2009 15:22

mitch
JMoisica

Never understood why some people wants the songs played live to sound like the studio versions.
Like listening a jukebox. Boring experience imho.

The most interesting live performances are the ones that take some freedom from the studio take...

Depends on which song we're talking about, but generally, I agree with you.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: December 16, 2009 15:37

Live, always with Lisa on vocals.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: December 16, 2009 15:54

studio version is unsurpassed - the bass guitar is something else, not real tricky runs but the FEEL of it is just awesome.

Since then i would say the best version they did was '95 Paradiso.

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: December 16, 2009 15:56

71Tele
Hard to say it's BETTER than '73 (and we don't have video of that!) but it is a smoking, excellent version. Love that Keith is playing a Les Paul Jr - same model and color as mine!

I played along with the studio version last nite on my cherry doublecut jr...wish I had the tv model..you're a lucky man

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: December 16, 2009 16:06

To answer the question, the studio version is unsurpassed live.
Maybe the Altamont version catch the scary apocalyptic mood inherent to this song.
Of course, no Lisa, no Chuck, no Darryl on it... only 5 sweating english rockers are required to executate properly this number.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: December 16, 2009 19:04

Wow, that Paradiso version is AMAZING. I love how seriously both guitarists are taking their jobs, for a change.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 16, 2009 19:13

gripweed

Studio version is the best ever.

The intro is much too long on that one.It runs too fast .
But it's one of my fave on live .
No Lisa please ,no chorus .....anymore .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home