Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Their Satanic Majesties Instrumentals
Posted by: the_word ()
Date: December 15, 2009 20:39

Hi Folks

I have spent quite a bit of time on remixing instrumentals from the Satanic Majesties Sessions...I have included a commentary about this project on my blog...
I have more Stones remixing, mix projects on the way...
Hope you enjoy...
Download link on blog...
Link
Regards
JOhn

Re: Their Satanic Majesties Instrumentals
Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: December 16, 2009 00:22

I believe I only listened to the 8(?) CD bootleg once, it just went on and on! I will definitely download your shorter remixed version. Thanks for posting this and doing all the work!

I always wondered if the different sections of 2000 Man were inspired by The Who's - A Quick One While He's Away which came out a year earlier.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 16, 2009 01:59

Many thanks for this

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:55

interesting, word, but what's your source and what do you mean by "remixing"? Do you have access to the individual tracks?

Date: December 16, 2009 06:21

cc
interesting, word, but what's your source and what do you mean by "remixing"? Do you have access to the individual tracks?
with the audio tools a person doesn't a require them considering their are no vocals and the original recordings were probably recorded on 4track

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: December 16, 2009 11:29

Er, where do I find the blog?

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 16, 2009 12:35

Nice worksmiling smiley, especially the edit-together parts of some of the tracks!

I find the added echo somewhat annoying, though...
And I love the complete Gomper!

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: December 16, 2009 14:32

Great listen, thanks.

Date: December 16, 2009 21:09

Thanks to everyone for the kind words...
Just wanted to respond to rootsman...

I didn't actually add echo to any track except reverb on the "Blues #3" outtake, however in order to "remix" them, from the two track masters...I had to split the tracks into stereo pairs, and I did add some "stereo" techniques to make the mono sound fuller...not really necessary...but I wanted to try to fill out the stereo picture a little more...

The complete Gomper...well...not for me...but it's not as bad as "See What Happens".

John

Date: December 16, 2009 21:20

Click on the word "link" in the post...
Sorry it's a bit deceptive
John

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 16, 2009 22:12

I really have never thought of Keith as 'Crap at lead guitar', and these sessions surely wouldn't be the place to change that opinion.

He really is inventive and emotional at lead.
Its like listening to Willie Nelson take a lead.
There is a lot there to appreciate and admire and the casual fan thinks its mindless noodling.

Will check out some of your work...thanks

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: December 16, 2009 22:33

Well, it's the psychedelic period. THE psychedelic band then were Pink Floyd. But: What they recorded was barely listenable to today's (drug free) standards andf only lives because we have a poor genius's tragedy casualty.
So, then there is Sergeant Pepper's. Well, nowadays people mostly prefer the White Album or even Abbey Road to that one as their masterpiece in retrospect. Yes, they are right, it isn't psychedelic at all! It is Paul's Vaudeville plus George Martin's arrangements (which might give you good arguments to like it though).
Hendrix? Over use of fuzz box on weak compositions! If that's the only criteria of psychedilia, then: Yeah.
TSMR is probably the only album that combines down-to-earth-rock to-extraordinary-earth-sounds plus science-fiction in words and music - and that's how I would define psychedelic music.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 16, 2009 23:35

JJHMick
Hendrix? Over use of fuzz box on weak compositions!

Have you actually listened to Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland.
If you have, now is a good time to do so again - and with open ears this time!grinning smiley

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 17, 2009 00:25

JJHMick
Well, it's the psychedelic period. THE psychedelic band then were Pink Floyd. But: What they recorded was barely listenable to today's (drug free) standards andf only lives because we have a poor genius's tragedy casualty.
So, then there is Sergeant Pepper's. Well, nowadays people mostly prefer the White Album or even Abbey Road to that one as their masterpiece in retrospect. Yes, they are right, it isn't psychedelic at all! It is Paul's Vaudeville plus George Martin's arrangements (which might give you good arguments to like it though).
Hendrix? Over use of fuzz box on weak compositions! If that's the only criteria of psychedilia, then: Yeah.
TSMR is probably the only album that combines down-to-earth-rock to-extraordinary-earth-sounds plus science-fiction in words and music - and that's how I would define psychedelic music.

why go to such roundabout lengths to elevate the album, and to dis the other artists? No doubt it's a period piece--and an especially period for the leaders of the Stones--but we can acknowledge its falling short of total success without having to bend over backwards to make it seem like something else again, I think.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 17, 2009 01:12

for a recording that is 42 years old, i have a greater appreciation for this recording today than i have in the past. love all of the different instuments and brian's imput. very creative.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 17, 2009 07:08

I happen to think your mix is wonderful! I love this album and I really love your instrumental mix of it. This is something I have been wanting to do myself for years but just couldn't get around all 8 cd's of the sessions. Thank you very much!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 17, 2009 08:16

Imagine if they had left See What Happens off TSMR and instead put on Child of the Moon, We Love You, and/or Dandelion.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 17, 2009 12:37

Just downloaded the instrumentals this morning John. You've done a mighty fine job there. I've had the 8 CD Satanic Sessions collection but never listen to them as there's just too much noodling. You have extracted the diamonds from the coal, so to speak and have come up with some real jewels. All excellent quality too. Have you had a go at anything else?

Date: December 17, 2009 16:28

Well perhaps I overstated a little, but Keith has never been a strong lead guitar player in my opinion...in fact his "lead" playing live these days is often horrendous! I am a huge Stones fan, don't get me wrong, but Keith is more a songwriter, rather than a virtuoso...and yes, this is perhaps not the best place to disprove this!

Date: December 17, 2009 16:31

I'd have to say that I too strongly disagree with the Hendrix comment...alas...

My point in bring these tracks together is to actually show HOW INVENTIVE the Stones were at these sessions...and how Satanic Majesties as it was released could have been a really strong release...could have...it does have its moments...

Date: December 17, 2009 16:32

Thanks coffeepotman, much appreciated...
I actually have more Stones compilations on the way...
I want to move away from all of the overdone outtakes, and move into less well considered work.

Date: December 17, 2009 16:35

Thanks SilverDagger...
I haven't done Stones stuff before actually...
Although I did post a Stereo mix of Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, in which I tried to improve on the (still reasonably crap) version floating around on the boots.

Link Here

Date: December 17, 2009 16:36

71Tele, I can only agree with that...they did have excellent work floating around, I really can't understand quite what happened with the final release!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 17, 2009 17:02

the_word
Thanks SilverDagger...
Although I did post a Stereo mix of Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, in which I tried to improve on the (still reasonably crap) version floating around on the boots.

Link Here

Will cop a listen when I get home tonight. Be great to hear Street Fighting Man in greater clarity too as there's a lot of interesting stuff in there that is buried in the mix.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 17, 2009 23:29

Sounds great word
Really great listen...

I miss Jagger at times but a fun time was had.
Also appreciate the 320K

What's next for you?

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: December 18, 2009 02:38

the_word
Thanks SilverDagger...

Link Here

Wow! It's certainly clearer

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 27, 2010 23:29

Gomper?

(bv - i wasn't sure if this type of "fun" topless nudity was ok or not)

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-28 01:52 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: April 28, 2010 00:12

Nowadays we know what we can expect: a deluxe edition of Their Satanic Majesties Request with on disc 2 new vocals on "Majesties Honky Tonk" and on many other outtakes.

BTW, I really enjoyed listening to the_word's work on these instrumentals! Thanx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-28 00:15 by Sacke.

Date: April 28, 2010 10:00

sweet neo con

Gomper?

(bv - i wasn't sure if this type of "fun" topless nudity was ok or not)
sweet neo con do you have a non censored version of this pic? would look great as album art for a cd project i'm working on.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 28, 2010 16:08

Hello,
This is great! I love listening to stuff like this.

I would love to learn what tool(s) you used to perform this. Would you mind sharing this,the_word?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home