Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Songs that didn't take off live...
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 13, 2009 08:43

I've just been listening to the 1994 RPM Club gig where the band were trying out some of the Voodoo Lounge stuff (like Brand New Car and their Brand New Bass Player) for the first time live. One that they obviously thought would be a great new stage winner was Sparks Will Fly, but in spite of playing it a lot it somehow never really took off.

Any others that come into the same group (Band thought they would be fantastic live - but they never quite worked)?

Re: Songs that didn't take off live...
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 13, 2009 08:46

Love Is Strong should have been a bigger hit and a better live song. Rocks Off has never really reached its potential. Of course they gave up too soon on Loving Cup, Ventilator Blues and Torn and Frayed. 100 Years Ago, which there was just a thread on...

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: December 13, 2009 09:01

Never thought Waiting On A Friend, the post '76 version of Sympathy, or Harlem Shuffle sounded good live; will take any live Midnight Ramber or SFM over the album versions any time!

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: December 13, 2009 09:02

Sway and Moonlight Mile never equaled the LP versions

Date: December 13, 2009 09:12

<< Sway and Moonlight Mile never equaled the LP versions >>

And what's the common denominator there? We all know.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 13, 2009 11:07

They couldn't borrow the denominator's guitar?

Date: December 13, 2009 11:11

<< They couldn't borrow the denominator's guitar? >>

I don't think it was the guitar that was the problem...

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 13, 2009 11:24

i never cared for most live versions of YCAGWYW and IORR

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 13, 2009 11:31

You are missing the violins on both tracks?

I just listen to Sway, I think I missed Keith on background vocals

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 13, 2009 11:53

Can't think of a stunning version of Rocks Off live. The version of Live Licks was a disaster.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: December 13, 2009 12:01

miss you

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 13, 2009 12:03

"Sparks Will Fly, but in spite of playing it a lot it somehow never really took off"

mybe because it's an awful awful song?

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 13, 2009 12:13

That horn-powered, hommage-to-black-artist number they did in the mid set during the last tour - so obliged, so boring - One of them was Night Time Is The Right Time

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 13, 2009 12:22

>> i never cared for most live versions of YCAGWYW and IORR <<

i agreed with that until the ABB tour - but IORR finally sounded magnificently raunchy at most of the ABB shows i heard,
and i was even at one show where YCAGWYW worked. but i agree that the change to doubletime
(or whatever the proper term for it is) hardly ever works out in concert.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: December 13, 2009 12:28

Anybody Seen My Baby was a train wreck every time they played it.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: December 13, 2009 12:32

little queenie
miss you

hahah
was just scrolling this thread and thought 'Miss You' just as I scrolled past your quote ..

so yer .. Miss You

tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: December 13, 2009 15:47

Date: December 13, 2009 08:43

I've just been listening to the 1994 RPM Club gig where the band were trying out some of the Voodoo Lounge stuff (like Brand New Car and their Brand New Bass Player) for the first time live. One that they obviously thought would be a great new stage winner was Sparks Will Fly, but in spite of playing it a lot it somehow never really took off.

Spark will fly did nothing for Voodoo Lounge. This song had all the ingredients of
a LIVE filler and I believe it was written with that on mind. I used to go pee.

Date: December 13, 2009 16:04

Another recent one was Rock And A Hard Place - they kept on trying this live but however much effort they put in it never worked.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 13, 2009 16:14

YCAGWYW... Copacabana is great, with Mick's "come on, come on" during the chorus while thousands are singing... smiling smiley

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 13, 2009 16:33

when the whip comes down can sound like a train wreck

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 13, 2009 16:46

YCAGWYW is the song we all pray on our knees that is not in the set list. L.O. has been burnt twice at concerts by the inclusion of this miserable "live" song.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: December 13, 2009 17:35

71Tele
Love Is Strong should have been a bigger hit and a better live song. Rocks Off has never really reached its potential. Of course they gave up too soon on Loving Cup, Ventilator Blues and Torn and Frayed. 100 Years Ago, which there was just a thread on...

Loving Cup was terrible live! It missed the "roll" during the piano intro and the (electric) rhythm guitar (listen to the original, it has a drive). But it should be an easy song to play live, like the original. Nothing difficult in this song. Why does Keith choose to noodle around in this song live? It's ugly and it's getting nowhere... same noodling as he did on No Expectations live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-13 17:37 by Muddyw.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: December 13, 2009 17:39

stevecardi
Never thought Waiting On A Friend, the post '76 version of Sympathy, or Harlem Shuffle sounded good live; will take any live Midnight Ramber or SFM over the album versions any time!

I thought Waiting On A Friend was fantastically done on No Security. Of course there is no Sonny Rollins, but Joshua Redman did his own fantastic job on this one! Fantastic live version.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 13, 2009 17:49

Sparks Will Fly live sounded just like the LP version so yeah, nothing special about it. It was fun to hear the censors miss the cussing though on the live broadcast.

Rock And A Hard Place doesn't work because it doesn't work on the Steel Wheels album - because it's a shit song.

When The Whip Comes Down should have been left in 1978.

Jumpin' Jack Flash has never worked for me the way they've been doing it since 1975. It's just not good.

Start Me Up hasn't worked since 1989/90.

Love Is Strong was terrible! It's amazing how they could play that so poorly yet play Out Of Tears fantastically.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: December 13, 2009 18:59

71Tele
<< Sway and Moonlight Mile never equaled the LP versions >>

And what's the common denominator there? We all know.

Strings.

J

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 13, 2009 20:27

2000 Light Years from Home

Date: December 13, 2009 20:41

There's obvious ones like "Sway", but "Rocks Off" takes the cake. They been hitting that dead horse since '72. And it is my favortite Stonessong.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 13, 2009 20:46

I thought 1989's(of course the only one) live version of 2000 Light Years was very close to the original.Just my opinion of course. But for me "Rocks Off" never has really got off the ground. 1972 was the best effort only because it was new and the energy was so high(and Jagger didnt even attempt to recreate the studio vocal). Since then even with back up singers the vocals just have never jelled like the LP to me.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 13, 2009 20:51

'She's a Rainbow' was more or less a dud.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 14, 2009 00:02

Now you understand the heart of the matter of why Mick always plays it so safe - it's not the catalogue, it's what the band can do convincingly. And that's the warhorses and some of the lesser known warhorses (Shattered, for example).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1348
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home