Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gimmie Shelter with different movie soundtrack
Posted by: MTWEMISSYOU ()
Date: December 12, 2009 20:28

I can recall that back in '82 or '83 watching Gimmie Shelter on either Showtime or HBO ( don't remember which premium cable station) that my friend and I were absolutely blown away watching it because it had a different soundtrack mix to the one that we saw many times before at all the midnight movie showings that we had been to. It may of even been a different version, but I can tell you it sounded different. Being an avid Stones fan since '75 and a 1969 Guru on the Stones, I had recorded the soundtrack with a portable tape recorder that I would bring into the theatre. I listened to the soundtrack of the film over and over reliously and I knew it all by heart. So you can imagine how excited I was when I watched it that day on cable and heard something completely different. Unfortunely I did not have anything to record it with at the time we viewed it that day so I don't have anything on it and I have never heard it again or seen that print of the film since. All the video and DVD releases and soundtracks I have heard or seen since, or even own was NOT what we saw that day.
So I am telling you guys that there is another cut of that film out there somewhere that not only has a different mix but had added clips that I never saw before. Mainly of the crowd at Altamont before the bands started playing.
Can anyone else on this board remember seeing that broadcast that day? Believe me it was completly different and there is another cut of that film that exists somewhere. I would LOVE to see or hear it again. And NO I was not high that day and I know what I saw. I was blown-away by the difference!

Re: Gimmie Shelter with different movie soundtrack
Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 12, 2009 23:26

Don't tease me now. Never seen or heard of it.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: December 12, 2009 23:53

no diff vhs/dvd ...the main movie,,

the first released vhs was in stereo.? .my vhs mono....

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: December 13, 2009 00:01

caught the end of gimme shelter last night.

only ever seen clips in the past, i think one was from 25 times 5 video.

i was wondering if gimme shelter was an official release by the stones or a bootleg.

another thing that really struck me last night was the facial expressions of one of the hells angels. real hatred in his face and seemed to be directed at jagger.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: December 13, 2009 00:30

wee bobby lennox
caught the end of gimme shelter last night.

only ever seen clips in the past, i think one was from 25 times 5 video.

i was wondering if gimme shelter was an official release by the stones or a bootleg.

another thing that really struck me last night was the facial expressions of one of the hells angels. real hatred in his face and seemed to be directed at jagger.

It was an officially released and authorised film made by the Maysles brothers.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 13, 2009 02:43

Was on BBC 4 in the UK again this evening - its just finished - and will be repeated at 3.15 am for the night owls.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 13, 2009 05:40

well for the dvd releases the soundtrack was mixed and remastered for surround sound that would defo make it sound different

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 13, 2009 06:28

>no diff vhs/dvd ...the main movie,,

There is one major difference that I think has been addressed on this forum before, and that is in the scene w/Belli on the speaker-phone: the voice coming from the phone is completely different and saying very different things in the DVD than what is in the original VHS release (which I paid dearly for when it first came out w/a list price of @ $69 circa '83 or '84). I've never been able to find an explanation of this... bizarre difference (it's particularly odd in that it's a documentary; Why would either have a dubbed voice?).

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: December 13, 2009 09:00

my guess is that the person who did the actual speaking on the phone (who can be heard on the current DVD) was perhaps unaware of his conversation being recorded and therefore refused to allow his voice to be used in the film. That individual may have since died (it IS 40 years later) or have since granted permission to use his voice. The film is masterfully edited and this is one area where it has been upgraded to be more accurate...bear in mind that concert footage of the Stones was edited too, with pieces from different numbers spliced together to give more fluid movement to Jagger's dance. Jagger's announcements from the stage at Altamont were also resequenced and edited for dramatic purpose.

Date: December 13, 2009 15:25

But what about the SOUNDTRACK?

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: December 13, 2009 16:51

Gazza
Was on BBC 4 in the UK again this evening - its just finished - and will be repeated at 3.15 am for the night owls.

...yes, that's when I'll be watching it.

Date: December 15, 2009 14:03

MTWEMISSYOU
I can recall that back in '82 or '83 watching Gimmie Shelter on either Showtime or HBO ( don't remember which premium cable station) that my friend and I were absolutely blown away watching it because it had a different soundtrack mix to the one that we saw many times before at all the midnight movie showings that we had been to. It may of even been a different version, but I can tell you it sounded different. Being an avid Stones fan since '75 and a 1969 Guru on the Stones, I had recorded the soundtrack with a portable tape recorder that I would bring into the theatre. I listened to the soundtrack of the film over and over reliously and I knew it all by heart. So you can imagine how excited I was when I watched it that day on cable and heard something completely different. Unfortunely I did not have anything to record it with at the time we viewed it that day so I don't have anything on it and I have never heard it again or seen that print of the film since. All the video and DVD releases and soundtracks I have heard or seen since, or even own was NOT what we saw that day.
So I am telling you guys that there is another cut of that film out there somewhere that not only has a different mix but had added clips that I never saw before. Mainly of the crowd at Altamont before the bands started playing.
Can anyone else on this board remember seeing that broadcast that day? Believe me it was completly different and there is another cut of that film that exists somewhere. I would LOVE to see or hear it again. And NO I was not high that day and I know what I saw. I was blown-away by the difference!

Hey MTWEMISSYOU, I came across this comment in the MSG 1969 SOUNDBOARDS thread and thought it may be of interest:

[www.iorr.org]

Would this be one of the soundtrack differences you are talking about?

I'm a bit of a 1969 Guru myself, so your topic fascinates me.

eye popping smiley

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 15, 2009 15:54

I agree with the different soundtrack theory.

Check out the end of SFTD at Altamont in the Gimme Shelter DVD....you see Bill Wyman playing a few simple bass notes but you cannot hear the bass guitar.
On my old VHS you CAN hear the bass notes being played !!

how bizzare.

Date: December 16, 2009 03:41

I am talking about a totally different sounding mix on all or most of the musical numbers. It was VERY evident as I remember. It was exactly as I explained it, a totally different mix. The guitars were more up front and the seperation was the best I have ever heard. It was so long ago and I had only seen it screened that one time on cable which is what prompted me to ask my fellow Stones collectors and followers if they remember seeing or hearing this version before. It was mind blowing because it was VERY evident that it was a different soundtrack mix from any other cut of the film that I have seen. And I have seen this film many times in theatres and on video releases. It wasn't the different voice over on the phone call with Mel Belli and it wasn't the extra note of Bill's bass at the end of Sympathy for the devil, it was a different cut or print of the film that we are all used to seeing. I remember extra Altamont scenes of the crowd. And there was also an extra line that Grace Slick said to the angels during the fight scene if I remember correctly. But the main thing is as I am stating it sounded totally different and BETTER! I'll never forget how blown away I was. It was not on a surround sound system ( this was '82 or '83). My friend whom I had seen the movie with before the cable broadcast, also noticed it with me. And Again I was not high or trippin'. Flashback-maybe but I sure wish I had another one like that. There IS another print or copy of that film somewhere I'm sure because I saw it that day. If anyone can remember seeing it or hearing about it I would love to hear from you, expecially if you recorded it and have a copy.

Date: December 16, 2009 04:15

"The guitars were more up front and the seperation was the best I have ever heard."
I want to add to this without causing speculation on what I believe I heard, because I am a hard-core 1969 fanatic and I am saying this to be true to what I believe I heard that day, but I heard guitar passages that I never heard before on certain songs on any other version of the film that I had seen before or since. I believe that the guitars were either over-dubbed, turned up or turned down or they used different versions on some of the songs than what was released. It was that different. I believed it then and I am saying it now sincerly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home