Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hey guitarists...
Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: December 2, 2006 06:42

I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now and I've made a lot of progress I think. I can pretty much play anything by ear and I have a certain affinity/hunger for the Keef style. It just speaks to me in ways no other music really does.

But, I still wanna expand beyond that. I mainly wanna be able to come up with it, instead of just copy. My biggest frustration is playing with my best friend and trying to come up with shit with him. I know we got that certain connection but I think my lack of knowledge of theory and all that shit is limiting our potential. Like, he would just play the simplest of rhytyms, or just some little melody and I could hear all these other things in my head that go along perfectly, and other ways to expand and switch around the shit that he has...but, I can't play it.

How exactly do you know where to play at? Like, if he's got a couple of cords, how do I know where to play a solo or something on the fret board? Or, how do I know where I can go from one cord to the next? Is this something I gotta go find a book on, or is there a simple forumla you can just burn in you after practice?

Re: Hey guitarists...
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 2, 2006 06:51

Forget about those evil books.'kepp playing with him. You'll know it all when it comes. never runs out either.
As far as all those parts in your head - just find one little part that gives you instant boner and stick with that for a while. You don't have to write the 9th Symphony on Day 1.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: December 2, 2006 08:03

It's all about the feel!

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 2, 2006 23:58

It helps to know a bit of theory. Never forget that the feel is paramount but you could look at a book about guitar. The best way would be to get a few lessons. I never paid for lessons and never charged anyone for a lesson but if you don't know anyone who will pass on the knowledge then you might need to pay. Also try jamming with other musicians as much as you can and watch and learn! You never stop learing new things.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 3, 2006 01:34

keep playing and keep jamming.....it just takes work. What you're asking about are really basics of playing guitar and playing with another guitarist. If you keep working at it, it will come. You should learn the pentatonic scales for your leads. Most people basically learn them as patterns of notes they can play in a given key on the fret board. If you learn the D minor pentatonic scale in terms of the very basic fret board pattern (the box) then you already know all the minor key pentatonic scales as far as the pattern goes. Of course scales expand beyound that simple box pattern but that's where you should probably start at. If a song is in the key of E, then start and end your solos with an E note. If you know the scale, then you just play notes that fit in that scale and it will sound alright. It's how people improvise.

I started with a Lynyrd Skynyrd tab book....I was 15 yrs old and growing up in the South, I was crazy about Skynyrd. So I bought a tab book, learned every song in there note for note and then started moving on. I never took a lesson but I've picked things up from different people over the years. I think you just need to play, play, play, play, play, play, and play some more.. It will come to you and you'll keep learning.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 3, 2006 06:09

If you want to hear someone get the most out of the minor pentatonic scale listen to Jimi Hendrix Red House. No edits. Apparently done on a Hofner with the pick up cellotaped on. Incredible to this day.

Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: December 4, 2006 05:50

It all makes sense...I guess if I just go with the flow like I've been doing I'll just discover it over time. I always do horribly when things are forced on me.

Anyhow, earlier today I was messing around with some cords my friend showed me, I changed it around a little bit and started another thing. He started playing and within a matter of seconds just found this spot that fit perfect. It was a great feeling- I think we're on to something. I wanna try and record it so I can show you guys and see what you think of it. I'll work on it. And thanks for the advice- yous guys explain it really simple like, real easy to understand. I thought there was some big secret or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-04 05:51 by La Mano Nera.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 4, 2006 13:39

Learn the main 2 boxes of the minor pentatonic scale, a few Chuck Berry double stops, a few blues licks, and a few country licks. You should be able to play most country, rock, blues, and pop with just this (if you know the key).

Also, learn to tune your guitar to an open-G to sound like Keith. Unfortunately, almost every thing you come up with will already be done by the master.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: December 4, 2006 17:04

La Mano Nera Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now and
> I've made a lot of progress I think. I can pretty
> much play anything by ear and I have a certain
> affinity/hunger for the Keef style. It just speaks
> to me in ways no other music really does.
>
> But, I still wanna expand beyond that. I mainly
> wanna be able to come up with it, instead of just
> copy. My biggest frustration is playing with my
> best friend and trying to come up with shit with
> him. I know we got that certain connection but I
> think my lack of knowledge of theory and all that
> shit is limiting our potential. Like, he would
> just play the simplest of rhytyms, or just some
> little melody and I could hear all these other
> things in my head that go along perfectly, and
> other ways to expand and switch around the shit
> that he has...but, I can't play it.
>
> How exactly do you know where to play at? Like, if
> he's got a couple of cords, how do I know where to
> play a solo or something on the fret board? Or,
> how do I know where I can go from one cord to the
> next? Is this something I gotta go find a book on,
> or is there a simple forumla you can just burn in
> you after practice?

I had the same problem when I started to learn to play guitar.

All those little riffs in your head could be the early part of a song forming in your head - I know they were for me. When I could finally play my guitar well enough, I had no trouble writing original songs, all of which have been well received by all who have heard them.

So what I'm saying is, get SOME theory into your head, but follow the FEEL of what you're doing - that's what Keith did I reckon! winking smiley

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 4, 2006 17:09

Nicely put, stikky. Great technical players flaming up the fretboard are a dime a dozen, but a player with a style and feel is hard to find. Some of my favorites are Keith, Steve Cropper, and John Fogerty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1198
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home