Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Did Mick Taylor compose "Bitch"?
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 9, 2009 00:13

Mick Taylor is the originalcomposer pf RS songs between 69 and 74;Jaggera and Richards are awful musics. It is proven that solo MT's albums are much better tnan RS's.
MT is a great guitar player, RS music benefit of his playing and some arrangements; that's all........ do not underrate what Keith Richards was in that period.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 9, 2009 00:14

I was joking, of course

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 9, 2009 03:26

texas fan
I thought taylor wrote all the songs recorded between 1969 and 1974...
lol he's also rumored to of painted the mona lisa and invented the internet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-09 06:21 by ghostryder13.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 9, 2009 06:19

the riff on Bitch is similar to the motown song "Get Ready". especially Rare Earth's Version.

Isn't this the song where the rest of the band were playing it at Micks Mansion Star Groves and they couldn't get it right. Keith was in the room eating a bowl of corn flakes and he finally puts the corn flakes down and show's them how its supposed to be played...?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-09 06:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 9, 2009 10:46

>> Isn't this the song where the rest of the band were ... <<

... see [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 11, 2009 03:15

NO!

Re: "Bitch"
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: December 11, 2009 12:50

with sssoul
>> the song reflects Mick Taylor's lead playing at his best <<

that's Keith.

the Andy Johns quote sounds like Keith also demonstrated how the rhythm playing needed to work,
but on the released track that's Taylor doing the rhythm work and Richards on lead.

What exactly do you consider the rhythm guitar work on "Live With Me"?

To me its not the ascending/descending single-note motive that's so characteristic for this song, but rather the second guitar, providing the chunky, syncopated rhythm parts in between. THAT has to my ears always been the finest example of Keith's ryhtm guitar genius (especially when heard on the "Isolated Tracks" bootleg). It would be disappointing somehow (but also a testament of Taylor's rhythm guitar chops) should this part have been played by Mick Taylor, even if Keith might have invented it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-11 12:55 by Greenblues.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 11, 2009 12:54

... i was talking about Bitch, not Live With Me.

Date: December 11, 2009 12:56

...ups, you're right of course! I got confused by one post, comparing it to Live With Me.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 11, 2009 18:07

Greenblues

To me its not the ascending/descending single-note motive that's so characteristic for this song, but rather the second guitar, providing the chunky, syncopated rhythm parts in between. THAT has to my ears always been the finest example of Keith's ryhtm guitar genius (especially when heard on the "Isolated Tracks" bootleg). It would be disappointing somehow (but also a testament of Taylor's rhythm guitar chops) should this part have been played by Mick Taylor, even if Keith might have invented it.

Taylor does the choppy rhythm on LWM. AFAIK, the only time he played the other part was in LA in 1973, but that was played along with Richards.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 11, 2009 18:11

with sssoul
>> Isn't this the song where the rest of the band were ... <<

... see [www.iorr.org]

Yeah... THAT's the Ticket!

pardon me, when reading this thread I inadvertantly skipped over part of your post.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-11 22:48 by ryanpow.

Date: December 11, 2009 18:38

Smokey
Greenblues

Taylor does the choppy rhythm on LWM. AFAIK, the only time he played the other part was in LA in 1973, but that was played along with Richards.

Thank you, Smokey, for answering my - slightly off-topic - post. If you're right and if your assumption also includes the studio version of LWM, then it would mean that Taylor is also a GREAT rhythm guitar player. No small archivement for somebody who's often (and in some cases rightfully) accused for "noodling".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-11 18:48 by Greenblues.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 12, 2009 03:49

what do you like so much about that part, Greenblues? Is it so different from the "chops" keith does all over, for example, Aftermath?

Date: December 12, 2009 12:33

I like the tasteful syncopations included AFTER the chops. Very loose somehow and yet startlingly precise. You can hear these more muted portions of the part much better on the "Isolated Tracks" version of LWM. That's where I spotted them first - they get lost a little bit in the full mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-12 13:06 by Greenblues.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: December 12, 2009 15:27

Taylor is, in fact, a pretty darned good rhythm player -- sometimes. Of course, he also noodles -- sometimes, but he's actually very focused compared to many lead players -- part of his charm.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 12, 2009 19:17

thanks, I'll look for that disc, GB.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: December 12, 2009 19:58

with sssoul
from [www.timeisonourside.com] :

When we were doing Bitch, Keith was very late. Jagger and Mick Taylor had been playing the song without him
and it didn't sound very good. I walked out of the kitchen and he was sitting on the floor with no shoes, eating a bowl of cereal.
Suddenly he said, "Oi, Andy! Give me that guitar." I handed him his clear Dan Armstrong Plexiglass guitar,
he put it on, kicked the song up in tempo, and just put the vibe right on it.
Instantly, it went from being this laconic mess into a real groove. And I thought:
Wow. THAT'S what he does.
- Andy Johns, 2007
did keith really say oi? sad smiley

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: December 12, 2009 20:04

s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-12 20:05 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 21, 2011 08:15

One contribution Taylor does claim in "Mojo Magazine" (Jan., 2012 issue): MICK TAYLOR: "At Stargroves...we played in this huge room with a gallery and great acoustics. That's where MOONLIGHT MILE came from...I contributed the riff that [arranger] Paul Buckmaster's strings are based on—that ethereal, unresolving ending."

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: December 21, 2011 11:55

ghostryder13
texas fan
I thought taylor wrote all the songs recorded between 1969 and 1974...
lol he's also rumored to of painted the mona lisa and invented the internet

No that was Kim Jong III

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 21, 2011 13:37

Title5Take1
One contribution Taylor does claim in "Mojo Magazine" (Jan., 2012 issue): MICK TAYLOR: "At Stargroves...we played in this huge room with a gallery and great acoustics. That's where MOONLIGHT MILE came from...I contributed the riff that [arranger] Paul Buckmaster's strings are based on—that ethereal, unresolving ending."

It does sound very much like something Taylor would play indeed. It is close to his chord progression he starts jamming in Montreux 1972.

Mathijs

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: December 23, 2011 00:42

Until I hear from someone who was there I am still not 100% sure Richards played the lead, after all a lot of you never knew Taylor played Bass on Fingerprint File and Mr D, many of us thought, wow Bill is really good here but alas, not Bill. Because Bitch has a Chuck Berry type solo people head straight for Keith, Taylor can play Berry as well.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: December 23, 2011 02:09

lapaz62
Until I hear from someone who was there I am still not 100% sure Richards played the lead, after all a lot of you never knew Taylor played Bass on Fingerprint File and Mr D, many of us thought, wow Bill is really good here but alas, not Bill. Because Bitch has a Chuck Berry type solo people head straight for Keith, Taylor can play Berry as well.
Well, I believe Mick Taylor stated in his 1979 Guitar Player interview that Keith played the solo. To me though no clarification is needed as Keith's stamp is all over that solo. His very distinct vibrato and phrasing are uniquely him.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: December 23, 2011 05:23

Midnight Toker
the song reflects Mick Taylor's lead playing at his best. He rips the Am pent. scale on his Les Paul like a bluesman with an attitude. the whole song has MT stylistically weaving from lane to lane, passing others like a Porsche Twin Turbo on the Autobahn fretboard. great guitar work. I miss MT.

Keith may created the opening riff, but MT should have received some songwriting credit on this one.

Nicely worded, but he doesn't play the lead on this one.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 28, 2011 12:03

I think the problem could be that once Keith understood the corporate image of the band he knew he had to pose more.

The image that sells the product is or at least was: Keith IS the music and the band ARE the riffs so the riffs has to be HIS. I believe this image to be so strong that even on this forum if you suggest someone else might have come up with a riff or that Keith might have knicked a few riffs or licks it feels like an attack on the whole band. The idea of Keith creating riffs is a strong and crucial part of the bands corporate storytelling.

This is not the case with the Beatles and their fans - songwriting is their image story and thats why some fans count how many percentage John or Paul wrote on each song. Its not as important to know who actually came up with a riff or two. The storytelling lies in what Paul or John brought to the studio and what inspired them to write something.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 28, 2011 12:19

Did Mick Taylor compose "Bitch"?
Of Course! and many more of the songs on Sticky Fingers !

2 1 2 0

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 28, 2011 19:22

Amsterdamned
The riff Taylor played is absolutely the backbone of the song....

Indeed. On some boots of the era he's not amped properly when he plays the riff resulting in a thin, gutless sound.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2011 19:35

R
Amsterdamned
The riff Taylor played is absolutely the backbone of the song....

Indeed. On some boots of the era he's not amped properly when he plays the riff resulting in a thin, gutless sound.

His rhythm playing on many tracks would carry the songs much better if he was more audible when doing that. Simple but forgotten (?) trick, and Richard's secret.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 28, 2011 19:58

No.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2011 20:01

71Tele
No.

Yes, to a certain extend imo, but please explain your rigid "no". Always interesting to debate the rhythm guitar.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2307
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home