Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lindsey Buckingham's Version of I AM WAITING
Posted by: Debra ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:27

I just bought Lindsey Buckingham's latest cd, "Under The Skin" mostly to hear his version of a Stones song I've always loved and rarely hear discussed, I AM WAITING. My opinon of his treatment is that he did it justice and then some. He remained true to the original with the wonderful picking style that Brian really nailed at the very beginning. Lindsey continues this lovely finger picking throughout the tune, so 60's! He is an incredible guitar player, so under-rated! I read a few reviews before I bought the cd and most were favorable although not A+. It's growing on me and right now I give it a solid B++. Check it out .

Re: Lindsey Buckingham's Version of I AM WAITING
Posted by: Halup ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:31

I got this album last week, in advance of seeing him in concert last Friday. It's a very strong album and that show was fantastic with a lot of the songs just Buckingham solo on acoustic. He doesn't do I Am Waiting live, but I really like his version of the song on the album.

Posted by: bat _outta_hell ()
Date: November 18, 2006 01:35

Hi Debra__thanks for the heads up. He is awesome...

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 18, 2006 03:52

Thanx Debra. Elvis Costello played that song in the FREEZING Chicago show. Either everyone was too cold to react or people didn't realize it was Stones!I thought it was good.

Date: November 18, 2006 04:27

Wow, poor Elvis! What a bunch of fans, not to recognize that song! JJ, you were at that show?? You ARE a true fan, freezing your fanny off! Of course, I've done the same thing in Foxboro in 1997, 34 degrees and windy as hell, all in winter parka and gloves! Halup, I hope to see Buckingham live, is he still on tour? Guess I could check his itinerary!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 18, 2006 06:52

What an imaginative and intelligent choice of songs by Buckingham.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 19, 2006 01:12

Yes that is a good aLbum. I have his other three and I like them all, but this last one is by far the best. IAW is really done well.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 19, 2006 01:22

I just listened to a sample of IAW on itunes. Sounds wonderful, IMO.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 19, 2006 13:34

i know this is off-topic, but the title track to 'under the skin' is my favorite song right now ... incredible, ethereal, swirling.

a taste of 'heaven'!

drew

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 19, 2006 18:16

Lindsey is obviously quite fond of Stones music from this era. He also recorded She Smiled Sweetly, Gotta Get Away, and Singer Not The Song for his (excellent) Gift Of Screws album that that was aborted with the most recent Fleetwood Mac reunion. Search the torrents and ye shall find!

Some GOS tunes were re-worked as Fleetwood Mac songs on Say You Will - and some are on his new one, but there is some great as yet unreleased stuff on there - particurlary the Stones tracks. Highly recommended.

Ross

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: November 19, 2006 18:21

Just listened to a bit on iTunes.

Sounds schmaltzy and bad

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 19, 2006 18:30

Tastes great
Less filling

Date: November 19, 2006 19:19

SCHMALTZY?????????? I say NAY! Not to most of us! This guy has style and taste! Ya can't please everyone but I'm glad most are in agreement. Wouldn't this be a great surprise to hear the Stones dust this one off, redo it a bit, and have the tune showcased, center stage, Mick and Keith and Ronnie gathered around a few stools, a moment similar to when they did As Tears Go By.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 20, 2006 02:23

I tend to agree with Jumpin' Jack Frash. It's a nice idea to cover a Stones song that gets virtually no attention even amongst Stones fans, but Lindsey's version does not even even come close to the majestic beauty of the orginial. Buckingham's version sounds a bit like, sorry, warehouse muzak to me. Lindsey obviously loves this period - there's an unreleased album out there on bootleg where he does no less than four Stones cover versions, all from the same period (Gotta Get Away, The Singer Not The Song, Blue Turns To Grey, She Smiled Sweetly), and, what can I say, all are mediocre at best, only Blue Turns To Grey sounds quite nice because of its stripped down arrangement (just the man and his guitar). Needless to say, my original excitement when I heard about those covers made place for a quite big disappointment when I actually listened to them. His I Am Waiting falls into the same category.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: November 20, 2006 06:42

Its too bad that LB has to bring that song alive, why not the Stones?

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 20, 2006 08:18

Just listening to this version, and while I undertsand someone not liking it, I don';t see it as shmaltzy.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: November 20, 2006 14:56

It avoids being corny because it remains true to the original for the most part. Hey, as I said, you can't please everyone but it was nice to hear that great song again. I just played the original and Lindsey's version; the original is THE STONES but he certainly did it no harm, like DEvo doing Satisfaction! Now to me, that was a massacre!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 20, 2006 19:03

Great new album by Buckingham, and I Am Waiting is the best thing on there.

Posted by: bat _outta_hell ()
Date: November 20, 2006 20:26

Had to chuckle at JJFrash...but to each his own.

try this schmaltz.

[www.sendmefile.com]

ps..sendmefile is starting to tick me off...its sometimes not very reliable.

Date: November 21, 2006 01:14

VERY FUNNY BAT!!!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 21, 2006 01:19

Debra, no need to worry. Music tastes are different and there is no such thing as "bad music" or "good music", there's only music that touches you and music that leaves you cold. Lindsey's version of I Am Waiting does not touch me, but if you (and others) like it - great!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1411
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home