Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Legend of Altamont ! Chris M
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 6, 2009 09:15

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

and another new soundboard (?) song : The Sun Is Shining...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-06 09:16 by Eleanor Rigby.

Re: The Legend of Altamont ! Chris M
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 6, 2009 11:31

the altamont concert is only available as an audience recording. there's been a rumor that the grateful dead's soundman made a soundboard recording of the show but it has never surfaced

Date: December 6, 2009 14:14

that is incorrect.
Chris M posted some snippets of Cutler's intro & Stray Cat from a soundboard source. So it is available with at least one collector...

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 6, 2009 14:32

Well that sounds like a sounboard. Fantastic!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: December 6, 2009 14:52

Article posted on here before where it claims the soundman still has the original SB tapes

"We sort of felt like we got taken," says Alamo resident Bob Matthews, a recording engineer on several Dead albums who rolled tape at Altamont. "We were doing this because (the Stones) were going to do a free concert for San Francisco, which they did, but its focus was on this movie, not just on playing music." and "The Stones, who may or may not have known that Hunter had died, returned after the melee to play eight more songs. According to Matthews, who recorded the performance and still holds the tapes, the band delivered an inspired second set that closed with "Street Fighting Man," a song that might have rung the closing bell on the Woodstock era."

[www.insidebayarea.com]

and an interesting article about the Gimme Shelter film

One of the Film Directors, Charlotte Zwerin, mentions getting an uncut copy of
the complete performance to review:

"The performance of 'Gimme Shelter' was one of the most powerful things I'd ever heard. At one point the Maysles sent me tapes of the entire Stones performance uncut; it's out of a horror movie."

[www.salon.com]

I am convinced more than ever that the complete SB and Video for the Altamont show is still in someones vaults and that the Maysles Bros. are sitting on a ton of 69 audio SB's and Video footage which will hopefully surface someday in some shape or form......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-06 15:07 by oldschool.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 6, 2009 15:01

Great !smileys with beer

HMN

Posted by: MTWEMISSYOU ()
Date: December 6, 2009 15:41

Would someone kindly upload the song "The sun is shining"?? I'd love to hear the soundboard. Is it a snippet or complete song? I can't get it to play from the site it's on. Thanks so much.

Date: December 6, 2009 15:42

oldschool
At one point the Maysles sent me tapes of the entire Stones performance uncut; it's out of a horror movie."

yes I read there is footage of Meredith Hunter trying to jump on stage, then being attacked/pushed back and running from the Angels...and footage from the Angel who acted in self defense....yes, a horror movie alright !

even though all of this is intruiging, I wonder if it would make you want to continually watch all this footage, and whether it would give you a different opinion of the whole Altamont/Stones performance..?

Date: December 6, 2009 16:00

Eleanor Rigby

even though all of this is intruiging, I wonder if it would make you want to continually watch all this footage, and whether it would give you a different opinion of the whole Altamont/Stones performance..?

Personally I think the Stones performance is very good once you get past the chaos at the beginning of the set. I would love to have the complete concert released. If they had different camera angles only showing what the band was doing on stage and could leave out the violence so much the better........

Date: December 6, 2009 16:13

i agree. In fact I think it's arguably the band's best live performance !

what I'm getting at is if we see the whole series of events and murder during Under My Thumb will it leave you with a terrible feeling that makes you not want to watch it again ?

As Charlotte suggests - it was like a horror movie...and you cant argue with someone who has actually seen the footage.

Date: December 6, 2009 16:49

I agree with you it is a very good performance. Th band was cooking that night and the atmosphere and tension added an edge to the show....Believe me I am not an advocate for violence in any form but it is a reality of life unfortunately. I for one would not let that discourage me from enjoying the Altamont show but that is just me...others may find it too disturbing to watch. In any case I doubt the Stones will ever authorize the complete show to be released officially. The only chance we have is if it leaks out somehow on bootleg someday...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 6, 2009 19:31

If that's not a SBD, it's the most convincing audience recording I've heard. Funny, a lot of things are revolving around Mick Taylor lately, or maybe it's my imagination.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: December 6, 2009 19:33

The Sun Is Shining=soundboard (mono)

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: December 6, 2009 19:34

The Sun Is Shining=soundboard (mono)
Thank you, Chris M.!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home