Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jones/Jagger who was the better blues harp player?
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 18, 2006 02:04

Something different from the Taylor/Wood debate. Who was the better harp player - Brian Jones or Mick Jagger? I'd say Brain was technically better but Mick had better phrasing.

Re: Jones/Jagger who was the better blues harp player?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 18, 2006 02:07

Jones by a country mile. Jones was a natural - just listen to that harp work on 2120 S. Mich. Ave - Jagger has never played up that level, IMO....

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: November 18, 2006 04:02

... really???

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 18, 2006 04:12

yeah

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 18, 2006 05:05

Yeah again!

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: November 18, 2006 05:29

I love it when Jagger sings through the harmonica/its amp! (Live Midnight Rambler, Ya-Yas).
Robert Plant also does it to a great effect on, what's the song, "Bring it On Home", also on "Hats off to Roy Harper"?

Did those guys invented that? ...Probably not, huh?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 18, 2006 10:22

Jagger on harmonica has more "drive" than Brian Jones. I think there are fantastic harmonica solos by Jagger; his phrasing is dinstinctive and immediatly recognizeable. In that respect Keith's right when he says that on harmonica he's kinda like Louis Armstrong, so my vote goes to MIck.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 18, 2006 10:45

Me

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 18, 2006 13:46

Brian Jones might just be one of the best ever white harmonica players to come out of the 60's. He's an encredible player, Jagger is not even close.

Mathijs

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: November 18, 2006 13:49

For me it's Mick, because I'm sure Brian can't play anymore...

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 18, 2006 15:18

Brian was better and he plays on more songs than I thought actually. He does play on some songs on Beggars and so does Mick. Different styles. I love Micks style on Parachute (Brian plays on that as well) but Mick was really great on Let it Bleed. And Little red rooster. He sings through the harmonica. Hard to compare really.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: November 18, 2006 15:56

The championship belt goes to the one that played harp on "Look What You've Done." And I'm pretty sure that was Brian. However Mick was always great too. And lately he is better and better. I love to hear Keith talk about Mick's harp playing.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: November 18, 2006 16:56

Most of the best harmonica work from the Stones comes from their early years. Brian played harp on most of the early tracks. I think Now I've Got A Witness on the 1st album features the best harmonica playing on a Stones song with its incredible speed and fluidity, and that was Brian. Brian was indeed a virtuoso on harmonica and he wins in a landslide. I agree 100% with Mathijs.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 18, 2006 17:10

Well, two different styles...
For pure blues, I would go with Jagger. Just listen to that frantic barrel house harp on Turd on the Run! And the studio version of Midnight Rambler is some really complicated riffing. Brian does a lot of blended note shuffles, whereas Jagger does more single note draws and blowing, which is much more difficult. This is especially evident on the more recent stuff and shows Jagger really has grown as a player. Love is Strong is a great example. Also Jagger has some amazing higher note playing, like the intro to Stop Breaking Down, which is difficult because the blow and draw is reversed, and is hard to keep track of. Both great, but I would go with Jagger, more my style of taste.

Singing through the harp is an old blues trick...check out Sunny Terry, Sonny Boy Williams (both of 'em), Junior Wells... All great harp players who regularly make sounds and sing through their harps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home