Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: a Stones-album , your bought--and was Dissapointef
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 6, 2009 19:04

Its a stupid question. I ve bought many albums that sucked at the first listen and then suddenly were great... Exile was something I just didnt get but later on it became the best for me... I think they have released some terrible stuff that remained terrible after the first listen.

Dirty Work
Voodoo Lounge
Shine A Light (concert soundtrack)

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 6, 2009 22:08

Edward Twining
The first album from the Stones i truly hated (for the most part) was SteelWheels which i still find extremely sterile.

Sterile - exactly my feeling. Sterile, neutered, safe, and nothing which gave of any sense of genuine 'cool' that their early stuff had. In retrospacet I think the tour hype really propelled sales. I remember in '89 a buddy's baby-boomer mom buying it for her Stones fan husband... not even those boomer-geezers in their 40s liked it! lol

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: December 7, 2009 14:57

A Bigger Bang

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 7, 2009 17:43

Between The Buttons - the Stones imitating Bob Dylan just did not work.

Their Satanic Majesties Request - With exception to 2000 Man, Citadel and 2000 Light Years From Home, this album is terrible and their worst album for me - their absolute worst album. I've shortened it to an EP of those tracks plus We Love You and Dandelion. It's much better now.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: December 7, 2009 17:53

Emotional Rescue was by far the biggest disappointment, for 2 reasons, first the title track was amazing and was all over the radio making big expectations which weren't met. Second at the time it was released there was so much great rock n roll around (Clash,B'52's,Specials,Police and many others) it sounded really old fashioned and because the title track was so good it made you feel you feel they were being lazy.

I think the other 80's,90's albums were not really disappointing as the expectations were not so high and for better or worse the production of the records always reflected the times when they were made, thats a thing that Mick and Keith always were very good at.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 7, 2009 17:57

I think it was EMOTIONAL RESCUE - that happened in 1982, and it was probably my fourth or fifth Stones album (the first was TATTOO YOU at the time of its release, and the reason I got hooked). I wasn't expecting such a crap from the band that had just released wonderful TATTOO YOU... but I love the album now! To be honest both UNDERCOVER and DIRTY WORK were quite disappointments in the years to come. In contrary, STEEL WHEELS sounded fresh and great first, but the impression died quite soon. Since that I don't have had too much expectations from the band anyomre, so they don't disappoint me any longer...

- Doxa

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: December 7, 2009 18:01

Voodoo Lounge
Black n Blue
Dirty Work
The last few live albums....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 7, 2009 18:06

undercover was the one that first hinted the muse had disappeared...it's pretty much been the case ever since.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: December 7, 2009 18:13

I am dissapointed with some stones fans. The guys always see defect in something or in all. The last albuns are crap, Ronnie is crap, MT is better, Charlie is bad, the stones are old, Get Yer box set is crap, the remasters are craps... Are the guys stones fans? I don´t know. If they are stones fans they are bitter people. I can´t understand.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 7, 2009 18:17

carlostones10
I am dissapointed with some stones fans. The guys always see defect in something or in all. The last albuns are crap, Ronnie is crap, MT is better, Charlie is bad, the stones are old, Get Yer box set is crap, the remasters are craps... Are the guys stones fans? I don´t know. If they are stones fans they are bitter people. I can´t understand.

charlie's good

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 7, 2009 18:39

In acknowledging their weakest efforts (DW, for example!), we affirm how much we love the better stuff. DW makes me appreciate the other albums all the more.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: December 7, 2009 18:42

BtB

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: December 7, 2009 18:47

Black and Blue, Love You Live, Bigger bang

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: December 7, 2009 18:50

There is always something to distinguish every release but the last few lack the consistancy that the 60s thru 80s had.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: December 7, 2009 19:55

Black and Blue

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: December 7, 2009 20:48

Edith Grove
BTB

Bridges to Babylon or Between the Buttons?!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: December 7, 2009 23:01

Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang. The latter has grown on me a little. The former never will.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: December 7, 2009 23:15

Undercover
Dirty Work
Some Girls
A Bigger Bang

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: December 8, 2009 01:05

Bridges to Babylon is the only one I distinctly remember being unimpressed by on first listen. Since then, I've revised my opinion - it's about 40% good, 60% filler.

A Bigger Bang was better but both CDs pale in the modern era versus Voodoo Lounge, IMHO.

A handful of individual tracks aside, I never listen to the recent live CDs at all. Much better to see the DVD or put on an old live album.

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: December 8, 2009 03:37

Bridges to Babylon.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 8, 2009 04:04

To amend my initial flippant response to this post:

The first Stones lp I was really disappointed with upon release was "Love You Live". I had anxiously anticipated this album for months. I, of course, had Ya-Yas, and also the vinyl boots from the '72 and '73 tours, so expectations were high. I was utterly shocked at how lackluster all but the El Mocambo side sounded. They even left in a blatant bum note by Keith on JJF! Utter disappointment, though I did wear out the El Mocambo side, so there was some redeeming value.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: December 8, 2009 04:18

Not all,but a lot of the albums after Brian left the band I found to be disapointing. GHS, Exile, IORR, B&B, Emotional, Dirty Work (without a doubt), and a few others.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 8, 2009 04:19

Bridges To Babylon. I remembered being VERY excited about this at the time. I loved Voodoo Lounge when it came out 3 years earlier, and ditto for the tour, and was so excited about this new tour and record I had high hopes. It just never really came together for me. Outside of a couple of instant classics (Out of Control, Saint of Me), a gem of a sleeper (How can I stop), and 2 decent 'classic sounding' Stones tunes (Flip the Switch, Already Over Me), the rest of it felt like mediocre numbers that suffered from dull production, sloppy songwriting, and half-baked ideas. Some of it sounded like nothing more than some really polished demos. Say what you will about Voodoo, ABB, or even Steel Wheels, but they at least feel like consistent albums. To boot, 'Anybody Seen My Baby' is probably the worst lead single the band's ever released from a new album.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 9, 2009 00:22

bridges2babylon; the worst RS work of all the times, One hit to the body alone sucks the whole @#$%& BTB

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 9, 2009 00:29

KeithNacho
bridges2babylon; the worst RS work of all the times, One hit to the body alone sucks the whole @#$%& BTB

Are you just mixing up BTB with DW ?

Date: December 9, 2009 00:33

DW is one of the worst RS albums; but the song OHTTB alone is much better than the whole BTB. So, BTB is worse than DW , IMO.
P.S. ido not like DW

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 9, 2009 00:35

My mistake,sorry...no,I don´t think BTB is worse than DW,just my opinion.

Date: December 9, 2009 00:39

My first DW's impresion was great at the begining because this song. Something similar happende with BTB but in the opposite side, i mean that hearin anybody seen mya baby as the sexcond song let me cold, and BTB always has been a bad album for me. Althoug i like 3-4 songs that i think are marvellous

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: December 9, 2009 01:17

A Bigger Bang.

I bought Dirty Work as a back catalogue item, and although it's clearly of lesser quality than the albums that came before, it's got some catchy stuff.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 9, 2009 01:24

Undercover & then Dirty Work. These two albums killed the good will from Some Girls, ER, & TY and the successful 1981 tour. The Stones' albums, at least in the U.S. have never recovered commercially.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2113
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home