Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re the Beacon and Buddy Guy
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 26, 2006 22:26

In 1970 Buddy Guy and Junior Wells opened for the Stones on their European tour.
They were both great, of course.

And yets "a few"years rolled by and three or four years ago I saw Buddy in Seattle and was a little disappointed to see that with success he'd lost a little fire, at least at this show.

But I have a feeling you lucky guys with the tickets will be impressed with Buddy at the Beacon. He's bound to really strut his stuff when he's opening for Our Boys. So get there early!

Re: Re the Beacon and Buddy Guy
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 26, 2006 22:41

Buddy was very good in Milwaukee last year but, IMHO, his band played over-top-top.....

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 26, 2006 23:55

Saw him a couple of times last January in Chicago; he blew the town away with impressions of Hendrix, Clapton, Muddy Waters, and Robert Johnson, showing how Hendrix ties back to the blues . . . As Muddy said the blues had a baby and they named it Rock'n'roll.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 27, 2006 00:25

seen Buddy many times, including twice opening for the lads - there's not a better way to open. sunday will it it thrice, it seems.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: October 27, 2006 01:03

First time I ever saw Buddy was at the Greek in LA. He was out in the crowd...started saying something to me & motioned for me to come on over (many others were). Next thing...I've got my arm around the man while he's playing & we're face to face just laughing & having a blast. 5 seconds later, he was off running around & back on stage...but was a fun intro. Let's see...that was about 99', so I was 24yo. Fun stuff.

Only bad part...he OPENED for that turd Johnny Lang. I didn't stay for that nonsense...well...I stayed long enough to hear it was nonsense...with the real thing backstage after a short set. Some would say "Shame, Shame, Shame"!

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: October 27, 2006 15:09

Buddy is a great guitar player if he would only stop talking trash and play! I've stopped going to see him since the last few times he'd spend so much time talking about how he taught Clapton, Hendrix, etc. how to play guitar, and never actually played a song from start to finish. He is a man with great talent, but also hung up on his place in the pantheon of great guitarists, which I think detracts from his performance. He should shut up and say it with music.

Having said that, I am truly excited at the thought of him opening for the STones on Sunday. Having had to suffer through a long list of no-account opening acts (Kanye West, Goo Goo Dolls, Counting Crows, Living Color) in the past 20 years, I long for an opening act with ties to the blues-RR roots of the Stones.

I'm hoping they're rehearsing Mannish Boy for a jam with Buddy. That would be awesome!!

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 27, 2006 16:58

barbequebob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Buddy is a great guitar player if he would only
> stop talking trash and play! I've stopped going to
> see him since the last few times he'd spend so
> much time talking about how he taught Clapton,
> Hendrix, etc. how to play guitar, and never
> actually played a song from start to finish. He is
> a man with great talent, but also hung up on his
> place in the pantheon of great guitarists, which I
> think detracts from his performance. He should
> shut up and say it with music.
>
> Having said that, I am truly excited at the
> thought of him opening for the STones on Sunday.
> Having had to suffer through a long list of
> no-account opening acts (Kanye West, Goo Goo
> Dolls, Counting Crows, Living Color) in the past
> 20 years, I long for an opening act with ties to
> the blues-RR roots of the Stones.
>
> I'm hoping they're rehearsing Mannish Boy for a
> jam with Buddy. That would be awesome!!

Well said...in fairness to Buddy, when I saw him in Milwaukee he did play mostly full songs from start to finish.

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: October 27, 2006 18:54

He is officially opening for them?
Who is opening in AC?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 27, 2006 18:56

chrismusic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
He is officially opening for them?

According to those who were outside the Beacon listening to rehearsals earlier this week. They were told so by people from the film team.

> Who is opening in AC?

The Fray.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1986
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home