Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Been In A Band? Any Success?
Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: October 17, 2006 21:18

I've been in the press and on TV. But I'm very proud that in the early 80,s The Stranglers offered our band Lip Service Climax (don't laugh) £500 for one of our songs we called Mechanical Mandy. I was personally introduced to Hugh and we talked about life in a band. But I ended up as a gardener. What can I say. We were close. But so were 100,000 other bands.

Re: Been In A Band? Any Success?
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 17, 2006 21:47

Mechanical Mandy, eh? Consider yourself lucky - it might have been a sequel to The Meninblack. Anyway, Hugh wasn't happy in The Stranglers. He told me this when I ran into him in a bar in London about twelve years ago. JJ was a psychotic c.unt.

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: October 17, 2006 23:36

My two friends and I will be opening for Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings in Holmfirth in a few weeks. My friend and I sing and her husband plays guitar. We opened there for Chas and Dave last year so this is a bit of a step up for us!

You can imagine how pleased I am to be opening for an (ex) Stone!

juiced up and sloppy

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 18, 2006 00:07

Yes. No.

Date: October 18, 2006 00:13

Myself and some other obnoxious friends (Big-lipped singer, old man on bass, jazz drummer, and female-abusing drunken druggie on guitar) started a blues band in England before anyone had ever heard of the blues. Even released a barnyard blues as a single during Beatlemaina. Despite drugs, deaths, disco, punk, Pink, and everything else, we're still the biggest touring act in the world 40-some odd years later. Nah, nobody would believe that!

Keef

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-18 00:26 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: October 18, 2006 00:20

Lots of them...Played lots of gigs, made lots of demos, but my mate Kevin, in my rockabilly band broke his hand about a week before we were to open for SVT, Jack Casady's punk band with Brian Marnell....god rest Brian...anyway, played on and off for years in more than a few good rock and roll, Blues, boogie woogie and rockabilly bands....but, finally figured out that I need a pay check...went back to my archaeology...

JR

Date: October 18, 2006 00:25

Leonard K. has had some success in the Lazy Cowgirls - musically, if not financially.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: October 18, 2006 01:11

My college band got pretty big for a moment in the early '90s in the Boston & Western Mass. areas and played a handful of multi-band gigs for about 1000 people and one, opening up on a day-long bill, for close to 15,000 (which was a gas - I insisted on us using the Continental Drift intro so I could live out the dream in a very small way). We actually had an industry showcase gig in Boston but totally blew it because the club assumed we were 21 and could drink when we were actually 19 - we got shitfaced and wound up trashing the stage, all in the name of rock. Oops.

The band I've played in off-and-on for the last ten years got some good press & a bit of a buzz in NYC but then the whole Strokes movement happened and all of a sudden a bunch of guys in their 30s playing sarcastic Clash/Stones-type songs were even less cool than before.

I also backed up a singer for a while who just signed to Island/Def Jam - I'm crossing my fingers that she makes it big - she's an amazing talent.

That said, the number of units sold featuring the guitar stylings of JuanTCB would probably be less than 100.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 18, 2006 02:07

For 22 years, I guess I did most of the garage-band stuff, clubs, parties, weddings, an occasional concert or two. Biggest names I ever opened for were Starbuck, Sheena Easton, Charlie Daniels and Delbert McClinton.

Have played in front of 6 people, and have played in front of 20-50,000 (the outdoor Charleston Sternwheel Regatta shows in the early 1990s) -- I gotta say this about that LOL: when the crowd fills the streets for as far as you can see in the dark, that was when I had an inkling of what the big time was like. Fortunately, that was caught on video, and it's my proudest musical experience.

The reality was in the following few days after that -- I was once again an unknown on his way to work at the office. Not one person ever stopped me and said, "hey, I know you!"

Traveled some, starved some, came back home broke a few times, recorded demos (nothing ever released), been interviewed on the radio.

In West Virginia, a bass player can get experience in playing just about every musical genre you'd hear from a bar band, depending on the time-frame.

I've been out of that scene for nearly 10 years now. Life in the low minors (to make a baseball analogy), had its memorable moments, but I really don't miss it that much.

However, I wouldn't trade those moments of my life for anything. On the flipside, had I not quit, I probably wouldn't be here today.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-18 02:17 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 18, 2006 03:52

My dad recorded some demos in 1968 and sent them to the United Artists record label. He was invited to their London HQ and was told that they were seriously consididering giving a couple of his recordings to a group to record as album tracks. He was told to write and record more as they sensed he perhaps had the potentional to write top-ten single material, but guess what? He never bothered.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 18, 2006 04:01

Here id another story. My good friend stewed & Keefed over on the Rocks Off board had a good friend in the 1960's who was an excellent blues musician involved in the local scene. In 1967 when Peter Green left the Blues Breakers, this chap in question attended the auditions and highly impressed John Mayall. So much so, that he was in fact OFFERED the gig. He was only young however and his father refused to let him join and insisted that he finish his work course in the local dockyard. The last I heard, this guy was working in the local TESCO supermarket. It's very sad and of course, we all know whom Mayall chose as Greens replacement in the end. MICK TAYLOR!

Date: October 18, 2006 11:15

Trying right now smiling smiley (Check the link below). We're coming to the US late november.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 18, 2006 11:34

I was in a band until the Stones did my town. My first band ever in fact. And I've been playing since I saw them first in 1998. Keef And The Coconuts we were called. I have a concert on tape. When it goes onto DVD sometime (When our documentary is done) I'll hopefully offer it up somewhere.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: perosand ()
Date: October 18, 2006 11:56

I'm an artist.....
Sell my songs on the net.
Check my websites........

[www.perosand.no]

[profile.myspace.com]

Perry

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: October 18, 2006 16:38

I've had three not so close semi-success. My first band in Detroit which was called the Vernor Highway Blues Band was picked to open for the MC5 at the Grande Ball Room in Detroit. However, my parents refused to let me play the gig because the Grande was the hippie hangout in Detroit and I was only 15.

My next band Concrete Watermelon was asked to join the local radio station dance circuit which was partly how Bob Seeger began to make it. However, our lead guitar player decided to go to college so that was the end of that.

Then about four years ago, my band Bear and the Bobcats was asked to open for America on Memorial Day at Stone Mountain. Right after that gig our lead guitar player decided the bass player wasn't good enough.

I'm a walking advertisement for a no hit wonder ....

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Date: October 18, 2006 16:44

in the summer of 2005 i tried to learn guitar. After the A chord and the E chord some drunken roommate walked in en fell on the guitar, so it was broken. It was the end of a promising carreer !

Posted by: KeefRiffHard81 ()
Date: October 18, 2006 17:39

hmm well im only sixteen. and im in my second band. old band used to have success playing cafes and bars in the NY and PA area. good times. hoping to get there with my new band. in the process. got a few recordings of orginal songs too

youll never find that perfect love that you read about, that you dream about.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 18, 2006 18:30

hey dp - better stop is a great song love the killer riff and vocal

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 18, 2006 18:33

I meant free your mind

Date: October 18, 2006 18:52

It's strange that around 25 years ago as a drummer in our band I didn't think we were so good. But now listening to our old tapes I believe we were as good as any other RnR band. We were coasting in the right direction, we had it all except a recording contract. You know what ruined it? Booze and women. If I had to give a young man advice about band life it would be if you're gonna be a drummer be prepared after a gig that your band mates will leave you to pack the drums away while they,re at the bar chatting up the women. I know.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: October 18, 2006 20:12

Yeah lots of bands........I live in a small rural town in Virginia though and there's not much of a rock scene around here. I was (am) the town's hot shot guitar player but that's not saying alot here in this lil place. I have had success in the surrounding area and I did well when I went up to Radford, Va to attend college. But I was only there for a semester and somewhere opiate abuse started to wreck my musicianship. Sound familiar? I don't think that I ever stopped gettin better, and I think the expirience of 4 years as a junkie will make me stronger and wiser in years to come, but the bottom line is, during those 4 years, I turned down gigs and missed auditions that I could have easily gotten. It stopped me from playing and my priorities changed. Instead of music being #1 in my life, drugs became #1 and I spent all my time trying to aquire dope. If I didn't have any dope I didn't feel like playing. Strangely, or maybe obviously, I recorded a blues jam while I was in the midst of one of my lowest period that was fantastic. Some of the best playing of my life. I guess what they say might be true. Maybe you do have to live the blues to play the blues. Regardless, I've been clean since February of this year and I'm playing again and I'm currently working on recording a cd. I'm still young (24) and still intend to keep playing and hopefully some day make a living doing it. But I can't help but wonder where I'd be if I hadn't basically thrown away 4 years of my life.

Date: October 18, 2006 20:40

Good Luck, keep on and on playing.

Date: October 18, 2006 20:46

And life is a lot sweeter clean. Music is all you need.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: October 19, 2006 16:38

Hey Jagger50 ... I didn't realizae you were a drummer too!
Cool ,,, now we can have deep conversations about what kind
of drum sticks are the best!

Tumblin Dice
Yup that is a familiar story but good luck stayin clean!

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Date: October 19, 2006 16:50

<hey dp - better stop is a great song love the killer riff and vocal

I meant free your mind>

Thanks a lot, OpenG! The quality of the live recording is not so good, but I think it reflects the performance OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-19 16:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: October 19, 2006 17:12

tumblin-dice-07... thanks for sharing,, always good to hear when one cleans up,, ,,, the mind will turn and not regret the past,, there are many promises that will come your way, one is freedom from active addiction,, an i trust your creativity will expound itself.....

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: October 20, 2006 06:47

Yeah I dont really regret it........I regret that it lasted so long but otherwise I learned from it and as a musician, I think the more you can expirience the better because it gives you more to draw on as an artist....thanx for the response though.....I really didn't expect anybody to reply.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: October 20, 2006 08:07

I've played guitar, harp and lap steel and sang for three years in a band with friends I've known since forever. We have day jobs and no success, but it's about the five of us making music together, and we have fun.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: October 24, 2006 20:05

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 24, 2006 20:09

I think they may have tarped over the seats behind me S.Finger !

ONLY JOKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sc uk

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home