Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Tom Petty - new(ish) album - opinions wanted
Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: October 21, 2006 00:45

Has anyone listened to the new(ish) Tom Petty album, "Highway Companion,"
enough to formulate an informed opinion, in the context of his past releases?

Cheers
SD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-21 00:52 by SonicDreamer.

Re: OT: Tom Petty - new(ish) album - opinions wanted
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 21, 2006 01:08

i like it - it's a little lighter than most of his TP&H releases. gotta lot of those "instantly likeable" pop tunes, much like Macca delivers routinely.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 21, 2006 01:10

its decent, but not a classic in the context of his catalog, so I believe its for the racks after some time. means that if you pull out a Petty album in some years cause you wanna listen to Petty at given moment you wont pull out this one. its not a bad album though.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 21, 2006 01:23

Tom petty is a damm peanut!!!

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: October 21, 2006 03:09

I love Petty and his CD's/DVD's always knock me out but for some reason this new one didn't do it for me. The first song Rocks as good as any but after that it's all FORMULA and FORGETABLE. I know that he needs to get very serious knee surgery and with his bass player ODing on smack and very good friend George Harrison leaving the planet WAY TOO early the dude might just be in a deep depression, can happen to anyone if enough neg sh*t surrounds them at the wrong time - let's hope the TOMSTER pulls out of it.....

Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: October 21, 2006 05:22

I haven't heard the album but I did have sushi with his daughter not too long ago. It's the oddest thing in the world, she looks just like him. Kind of scared me at first. Rock Star children are lucky little brats that's for sure. Unless of course your dad is Ozzy.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 21, 2006 05:31

Better than his last album The Last DJ (title track is great, the rest is pleasant but forgettable) but neither of them are up to his usual standards. I played it a lot when it first came out and then not much after. Does the first track Saving Grace stike anyone else as a total ZZ Top (by way of John Lee Hooker) rip?

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 21, 2006 11:07

Great album.Its the only Petty one I own.Need some recommendations for earlier stuff.Thanks.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 21, 2006 18:56

stargroover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great album.Its the only Petty one I own.Need
> some recommendations for earlier stuff.Thanks.

Studio albums - Damn The Torpedos, Long After Dark, Wildflowers, Full Moon Fever

Compilation - Greatest Hits (single disc from 1993)

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 21, 2006 19:50

Good but not his best - about half the tracks are better-than-average. If you like Tom Petty anyway you'll enjoy it: if you don't, this won't convert you. 3.5 stars or so. (I have Long after Dark, Damn the Torpedoes, Southern Accents, Full Moon Fever, Into The Great Wide Open + DVDs Live from the Fillmore & Soundstage to compare it with).

Long After Dark was the first I bought. Stargroover, if you like the new one you'll probably like Full Moon Fever and Into the Great Wide Open.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 21, 2006 20:43

Thanks guys

Posted by: dj ()
Date: October 21, 2006 22:33

There is a six disc box set called "Playback" that chronicles most of his career. It's better than any of the greatest hits discs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1223
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home