Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Questions About Ian Stewart's Status As A "Quasi-Stone"
Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 10, 2006 16:48

I'm not totally up-to-speed on this bit of Stones-lore, so perhaps some of you could please enlighten me.....

As I understand it, it was at the will of producer Andrew Loog Oldham that Ian Stewart was demoted from being an official member of the band to the band's road manager. My question here is, did the rest of the band willingly accept or even support this move or did some of its members put up a resistance to Oldham on Stewart's behalf before yielding to his wishes? And how did Stewart truly feel about the news himself? Did he accept it begrudgingly or with some enthusiasm? It seems to me he was a "team player", not entirely satisfied with his role but still willing to perform whatever role he could in order to see the band succeed - - am I correct?

A few years later, when Oldham was dismissed of his duties, was Stewart ever even considered by the band to return as a full-fleged member? If not, I'm wondering why not, given his loyalty and valuable input.....what he hurt at not being reconsidered? Or perhaps Stu was quite content with his role by then, away from the spotlight and still sharing in the band's successes? His personality would seem to say so, but then again Charlie was never one who was big for the spotlight, either. I don't know, it just seems a shame to me that Stu was never an official Stone again when there may have been an opportunity. Certainly the band itself wasn't averse to adding official members down the road, given Ron Wood's promotion in the mid-70's. So why not Stu?

Anyway, I'm curious. Any good books to recommend out there which expound on this more thoroughly? Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

Cheers!

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-10 16:50 by sf37.

Re: Questions About Ian Stewart's Status As A "Quasi-Stone"
Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: October 10, 2006 16:54

Thats a really good question Sf, im curious about that myself.

"Is it any wonder that we fuss and fight"

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 10, 2006 17:00

They were 20 year olds trying to make a career for themselves and they were told by management that Stu could not be in the band -- hard to imagine them fighting for that. I don't know how Stu did financially, but I think he did fine. I suspect that he never wanted the spotlight, but was happy with his role and proud of the band. I think that it helped that the rest of the band treated him as an equal. I do, however, think that they felt guilty about it over the years -- I think they have said so in interviews.

Date: October 10, 2006 17:32

Yes, I wouldn't doubt that some guilt could exist over it, even if Stu was well taken care of from the outside. I'd like to see some of those interviews that touch on this subject.

Thanks again for the insight.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 10, 2006 18:29

The Stones did request that Ian Stewart be inducted as a member of the band in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. He is honored there alongside Mick, Keith, Brian, Bill, Charlie, Mick Taylor, and Ron Wood. Its worth noting that The Kinks only inducted the original line-up into the Hall of Fame the following year ignoring longtime members like John Dalton, John Gosling, Jim Rodford, Ian Gibbons, and Bob Henrit.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 10, 2006 18:42

Ian was never kicked out of the band: he went on recording and touring with them basically untill he died (and when he did not it was basically his own decision). It was not like saying - look, Ian, you are out! Just, stay out of the spot-light.

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-10 19:29 by liddas.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 10, 2006 19:08

Stew did not fit the building "image" as far as Andrew was concerned. He recognized it himself and was always loyal to Mick, Keith, Charlie and Bill. In many ways he was their conscience, a grown-up, and they respected him as they have few others. His words on various matters was meaningful to them. He was their proud big brother.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 10, 2006 19:10

..and they were his "...little shower of shit"

Date: October 10, 2006 20:47

stonesrule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stew did not fit the building "image" as far as
> Andrew was concerned. He recognized it himself and
> was always loyal to Mick, Keith, Charlie and Bill.
> In many ways he was their conscience, a grown-up,
> and they respected him as they have few others.
> His words on various matters was meaningful to
> them. He was their proud big brother.

Good point: he did seem to keep them on the straight and narrow better than anyone else could have hoped to. He had the voice of logic and responsibility.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: October 10, 2006 22:14

I have been reading Barbara Sharone's book these days and she says that Ian was really hurt. They say so in Let It Bleed too. But he decided to stay around because he knew he would still be able to play with them. Maybe when that happened he already could feel that something big was about to happen.

Even though he remainded close friends with Mick, Keith, Bill and Charlie, it seems that this has broken the friendship between him and Brian. I never read kind words from Ian about Brian.

I remember hearing Charlie in interview saying he regretted this decision.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: October 10, 2006 23:16

sf37 Wrote:
> Certainly the band itself wasn't averse to adding
> official members down the road, given Ron Wood's
> promotion in the mid-70's. So why not Stu?

Don't think Wood became a member until 1989, or the early 90's; was on salary up until that point. Rolling Stones Ltd. always has seemed to put image and money ahead of personal friendship.

Date: October 10, 2006 23:41

KSIE Wrote:
> sf37 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> Don't think Wood became a member until 1989, or
> the early 90's; was on salary up until that point.
> Rolling Stones Ltd. always has seemed to put
> image and money ahead of personal friendship.

Was it really that late? I was under the impression that Wood became an official member of the band with the release of Black & Blue, but I could be mistaken. Very interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-10 23:41 by sf37.

Date: October 10, 2006 23:46

gwen Wrote:
> I have been reading Barbara Sharone's book these
> days and she says that Ian was really hurt. They
> say so in Let It Bleed too. But he decided to stay
> around because he knew he would still be able to
> play with them. Maybe when that happened he
> already could feel that something big was about to
> happen.
>
> Even though he remainded close friends with Mick,
> Keith, Bill and Charlie, it seems that this has
> broken the friendship between him and Brian. I
> never read kind words from Ian about Brian.
>
> I remember hearing Charlie in interview saying he
> regretted this decision.

Yep, if this is indeed the case it wouldn't surprise me. Stu seemed to be willing to be that team player but I still think he may have gotten the short end of the stick by not being considered a full-fledged member (receiving a good compensation notwithstanding). At least, as was mentioned earlier by Rocky Dijon, the Stones included his name along with the rest of the band into the Hall Of Fame. That does count for something at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-10 23:46 by sf37.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: October 10, 2006 23:56

sf37 Wrote:
>
> Was it really that late? I was under the
> impression that Wood became an official member of
> the band with the release of Black & Blue, but I
> could be mistaken. Very interesting.

Somebody will have to back me up on that, but I remember Woody claiming that the Mick-Keith feud from DW to SW was putting him in the poorhouse, and as a result he had to go commercial with his paintings.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: October 11, 2006 00:08

I think it would have counted for a lot more had Stu been alive to be inducted in the Hall of Fame

Date: October 11, 2006 00:09

I must admit that I also do recall stories of Ron trying to supplement his lifestyle through the exposure of his paintings, though I wonder how deep in the "poorhouse" he actually was at that point. I wonder how much $$ the paintings have actually brought him? He is rather talented in that area!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-11 00:10 by sf37.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 11, 2006 00:10

Interesting story found on Wilkipedia

Basis for fictional detective Rebus
According to a Sunday Herald article in March 2006, Ian Stewart was taken as the basis for a famous fictional detective:

"Scottish crime writer Ian Rankin has revealed that John Rebus, the star of 15 novels set in the grimy underbelly of the nation’s capital, may have more to do with the Rolling Stones than any detective could have surmised. The award-winning novelist admits during a new Radio 4 series exploring the relationships between crime writers and their favourite music that he took some of his inspiration for the unruly inspector from the “sixth Stone”, Ian Stewart."

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 11, 2006 04:57

Yes Ronnie wasn't made an official Rolling Stone Partner Ltd. until the late 80's. From the '75 tour until then he was a salaried member. Charlie when to bat for him and demanded he be made a full member.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 11, 2006 06:53

If Ronnie Wood was as consistently as good a player as the money he's made from the Stones, we'd all be luckier.

Compare his lifestyle today to his years with the Faces; he's been very lucky.

Date: October 11, 2006 11:08

<Yes Ronnie wasn't made an official Rolling Stone Partner Ltd. until the late 80's.>

1993 wasn't it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1386
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home