Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Paris 1970
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 18, 2006 22:36

In "the first 30 years", Bonnano states the Stones played one gig on 22 Sep at the Olympia, then two gigs at the Palais des Sports on 23 Sep.

Think it is wrong for the Olympia. Maybe be it was originally scheduled, but they dropped the idea because it was too small.

Also, did they played two shows the same day on 23 Sep ?

Re: Stones Paris 1970
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 18, 2006 22:38

they played three shows - 22nd, 23rd and 24th. All at the Palais des Sports, as far as I know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-18 22:40 by Gazza.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 18, 2006 23:05

Correct, Gazza. I attended the 3 concerts. Great, great...was only 15 years old.
My first ever concerts. The last one was outstanding. There was a street fighting man ambiance all around The Palais des Sports ( capacity : 5,000) as a lot of people outside were claiming for a free entrance as they could not have got tix. A lot of policemen sending teargas. Opening act was Buddy Guy and Junior Wells.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 19, 2006 01:04

phd : how did you manage to go to the three concerts at 15 ?

Date: September 19, 2006 08:56

Well, I live in Paris and went with 2 friends. As I was in The Stones music since 10 years old, my parents as they had already forbidden me to attend The last Olympia gig in 66, could not prevent me this time. Had they do, I would have gone to the shows anyway. Still have my ticks in the "safe".

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 19, 2006 19:48

I just can't sort out the different shows and bootleg editions of them... but each is one is fantastic, despite pretty poor recording quality. Scorching sets!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: September 19, 2006 19:50

Mick 'did'Bianca for the first time during these gigs.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 19, 2006 20:05

any rumours of clean soundboards from the '70 tour?

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: September 19, 2006 20:07

what's an unclean soundboard? And there are always rumours!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 19, 2006 20:10

Clean soundboard means soundboard, unlike the mice-towards-speakers-soundboard which is released on CD.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 19, 2006 20:13

Potted Shrimp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what's an unclean soundboard? And there are always
> rumours!

a dirty one........and Meg hasnt been around lately, has she?

Posted by: florinda ()
Date: September 19, 2006 20:19

There is a soundboard tape of the second concert except for the last 2 songs; Also a radio broadcast of the first concert with comments that can be edited out. CC may a have a copy of Rock and Folk magazine that reviewed all 3 concerts plus the Lyon one.Great article. Do you have it CC?

Date: September 19, 2006 21:20

florinda Wrote:
> There is a soundboard tape of the second concert
> except for the last 2 songs; Also a radio
> broadcast of the first concert with comments that
> can be edited out. CC may a have a copy of Rock
> and Folk magazine that reviewed all 3 concerts
> plus the Lyon one.Great article. Do you have it
> CC?

Is it the one with that famous Gassian photo on the cover of Mick ?

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: September 19, 2006 21:36

"Some Like It Hot" (VGP-044) is the (not great) soundboard from Sept. 23. It's sad that this one hasn't surfaced in better quality until now...

"Paris Affair" (VGP-127) is the radio broadcast from Sept. 22 with the radio speaker permanently interrupting the show. The quality is also not good, obviously nobody had a good tape recorder back in 1970 to record this properly...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 19, 2006 21:51

Potted Shrimp Wrote:
> Mick 'did'Bianca for the first time during these
> gigs.

well..they met during that run of shows, right?

I'm sure that he was the perfect gentleman and that the relationship was not consummated for several months later!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 20, 2006 04:00

No, florinda, I haven't seen that article, but would like to--these are great shows.

Date: September 20, 2006 06:31

I will look at my archives. It should be in there. If I found it, I will let you know and send a copy. But Florinda might do that quicker.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 20, 2006 14:05

I remember those crazy shows back then. My dad was always taking me to rockshows as a little kid. I saw the Faces, Roxy Music (with Eno), Deep purple, Lou reed like that. All in Rome, Italy. And they finally banned all shows because every show turned into a riot with teargas and fights, arrests.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: September 22, 2006 05:28

phd, I don't have my Rock & folk copy anymore. but I would love to read it again. The article is so good. French journalists are my favourite when it comes to talking about the Stones. Do you remember Eric Clapton joining Buddy guy and Junior Wells on the 22th?
P.S. I'm not sure who did the photo on the cover but it could be Dominique Tarlé. Anyway, you could check the October issues of both Rock& Folk and Best magazines in a french hemeroteque...and now that you are down to work it might be a good idea to try and locate a copy of the Lyon Fm broadcast. I'd love to hear it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-22 05:41 by florinda.

Date: September 22, 2006 05:40

No, I did not. I will look in my archives. There are at 2 different locations, thus it could take more than a week.

Date: September 22, 2006 05:58

Here`s a link, "Nos annèes Stones" picture # 5 from top left. but a copy of "Nos annèes Stones would be even better as it contains all the articles, covers and photos" Enjoy if you can find a copy!

[www.billwymanshop.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home