Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question about Scottish dates in 1982
Posted by: DD ()
Date: November 27, 2009 14:05

Hello,

Whilst this is by no means a matter of the greatest importance, I've just been having a look at the tour dates for the European tour of 1982. Now, I've always known that they played a club date in Scotland as part of that tour, but I've only just realised that there were three dates and that they were all at the start of the tour. Now, presumably these were warm-up dates, but what the hell took them up to Scotland to do them? Particularly as far north as Aberdeen?! It's not as if the tour proper started in Scotland, or even England - it was in the Netherlands!

It seems a somewhat random way to start that tour - was it a favour to Stu or something?

Declan

Re: Question about Scottish dates in 1982
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 27, 2009 14:10

here you go, one of the greatest IORR threads, of all time...

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 27, 2009 14:59

DD
Hello,

Whilst this is by no means a matter of the greatest importance, I've just been having a look at the tour dates for the European tour of 1982. Now, I've always known that they played a club date in Scotland as part of that tour, but I've only just realised that there were three dates and that they were all at the start of the tour. Now, presumably these were warm-up dates, but what the hell took them up to Scotland to do them? Particularly as far north as Aberdeen?! It's not as if the tour proper started in Scotland, or even England - it was in the Netherlands!

It seems a somewhat random way to start that tour - was it a favour to Stu or something?

Declan

The Stones had problems getting performing licences for some European stadiums in 1982. They couldnt get one for a Scottish date - and there werent really any suitable arena sized venues back then - so they decided to play 3 'Commando Raid' theatre shows before the stadium shows started instead, and then played another gig at the 100 Club in London a couple of days later.

If anyone still has their original T-shirts from that tour, some of them list shows which never took place due to various problems in getting licenses etc - Milan, Rome, Florence, Barcelona etc. I think the Nice show on 20th July was meant to be the final show and then they added Slane and Leeds just a short time before the tour started.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: November 27, 2009 16:32

Thanking you both.

Yes Adrian, it was from that thread that I'd originally been made aware of the club shows - although only today learnt that it was more than one show.

Gazza - I had a feeling that you might offer the answer to this one! Thanks, and I hope you're well.

Declan

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 27, 2009 18:03

Doin' fine, thanks, Declan - hope you are too...see you next tour again I hope!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home