Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Stones album in 2007?
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 11, 2006 15:28

When they come back to Europe in 2007 it would be good if they had something to tour behind. The most possible option is to release live album (like in 82 and 99) which will we the easiest and the cheapiest way to have a "new" album on the market. But what if they released a new studio album? I don't count for completely NEW album, but they have plenty of good outtakes from SW, VL era plus almost 30 songs from 2002 Forty Licks sessions. They could put it together in studio and release Tatoo You-like album in summer 2007. They will have half a year to do that after they will have finished upcoming American tour. Is it possible or am I way too optimistic?

Re: New Stones album in 2007?
Posted by: yap yap ()
Date: September 11, 2006 15:38

If they did an "out takes" album,people would just cry because they already have those songs.....like Raities. A new album wouldn't be cool because it wouldn't be as good as Tattoo You or Some Girls.Like ABB. A live album wouldn't be cool because they always do one and Ronnie don't play like in the Faces or early Stones.....Like Live Licks.

Me,I'd love to see them do ALL of those.

In the end,it wouldn't make any diff;the Stones can't win with their "fans".

Pleased to meet you......

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 11, 2006 15:39

>When they come back to Europe in 2007 it would be good if they had something to tour behind

They didn't do it this tour. Why would they do it next year? The CD (BTW I like it a lot) is the excuse to tour. The excuse next year is the postponed/cancelled shows. The real reason of course is....:-)
Well, as long as they keep coming back I guess it's ok.

Posted by: beast of burgk ()
Date: September 11, 2006 15:43

Why record/release a new studio album if the tracks are not played anyway? I mean, not even a year after the release of ABB they played 5 (out of 16/18) ABB tracks in Europe.

Date: September 11, 2006 15:49

Harm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >When they come back to Europe in 2007 it would be
> good if they had something to tour behind
>
> They didn't do it this tour. Why would they do it
> next year?

They toured behind ABB. Of course they can tour behind ABB next year as well, which will probably be the case. But if they want to do a regular tour next year (otherwise it would be uneconomic to tour in Europe) touring just because of cancelled/posponed shows wouldn't be a strong excuse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-11 15:49 by franzk.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 11, 2006 15:50

It would be good. They should release "Memory Hotel". I'd love to hear what's on it. As we speak I am sending the following mail to every Rolling Stones related company I can think of (So far Virgin and EMI has popped into my head):

Hello.

I am a 25 year old fan of the Rolling Stones. I live in Denmark and I wanted to ask a question regarding a release of a certain Rolling Stones CD.

Back in May 1999 (More specifically May 21st) there was news coming out about a new Rolling Stones CD titled "Memory Hotel". The tracks on it were supposed to be unreleased songs from their previous two albums "Bridges To Babylon" (1997) and "Voodoo Lounge" (1994). It was to be released on May 31st 1999. For some reason this CD release got delayed on June 2nd 1999. That was the last we ever heard from it. What happened? Please let me know as I am investigating this CD for a book I am writing. Also, numerous fans all around the globe are only now starting to hear about it, and want to know as much detail as possible.
I know that this release probably had "the plug pulled" for some reason. I would like to know why. And also: The artwork for this CD - Was it ever available anywhere?

Best regards
Kent Alex Pedersen.

PS: I'm not sure I'm writing this e-mail to the correct address. If it's the wrong mail then I am sorry. Could I please have the right e-mail?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 11, 2006 15:50

yap yap Wrote:
> If they did an "out takes" album,people would just
> cry because they already have those songs.....like
> Raities. A new album wouldn't be cool because it
> wouldn't be as good as Tattoo You or Some
> Girls.

But Tatoo You is mostly an "outtakes" album and it's one of their best.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 11, 2006 15:51

It's pointless for us to speculate about it,
when we got an insider on this site who knows every single move from the RS camp.....MickfreshandKeith.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: September 11, 2006 15:57

If the tour next year is their last tour then they won't issue a new studio CD. They want to go out with a "bang" and would only want to put out their best efforts as an encore.

They'll probably release a live CD or DVD though, or both. My guess would be for them to do some new live stuff at the back end of the upcoming US tour and on their European tour - possibly with one or two theatre shows. By new live stuff I mean dug up covers and rare live songs from their back-catalogue (similar to Stripped maybe).

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 11, 2006 16:40

A new studio album seems rather unlikely at that time, unfortunately.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 11, 2006 17:42

does seem rather unnecessary inasmuchas as ABB the basis for the current tour, based on setlists.

I would also love to see the release of the already-assembled Memory Hotel album; perhaps it would give impetous to trying out some newer material, I guess, given that they've apparently given up airing any more of the ABB tracks. As far as a release of newly written, recorded material - not a chance that'll happen in '07.....

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: September 11, 2006 17:48

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> It would be good. They should release "Memory
> Hotel". I'd love to hear what's on it. As we speak
> I am sending the following mail to every Rolling
> Stones related company I can think of (So far
> Virgin and EMI has popped into my head):
>
> Hello.
>
> I am a 25 year old fan of the Rolling Stones. I
> live in Denmark and I wanted to ask a question
> regarding a release of a certain Rolling Stones
> CD.
>
> Back in May 1999 (More specifically May 21st)
> there was news coming out about a new Rolling
> Stones CD titled "Memory Hotel". The tracks on it
> were supposed to be unreleased songs from their
> previous two albums "Bridges To Babylon" (1997)
> and "Voodoo Lounge" (1994). It was to be released
> on May 31st 1999. For some reason this CD release
> got delayed on June 2nd 1999. That was the last we
> ever heard from it. What happened? Please let me
> know as I am investigating this CD for a book I am
> writing. Also, numerous fans all around the globe
> are only now starting to hear about it, and want
> to know as much detail as possible.
> I know that this release probably had "the plug
> pulled" for some reason. I would like to know why.
> And also: The artwork for this CD - Was it ever
> available anywhere?
>
> Best regards
> Kent Alex Pedersen.
>
> PS: I'm not sure I'm writing this e-mail to the
> correct address. If it's the wrong mail then I am
> sorry. Could I please have the right e-mail?

Good luck with that one Kent! Let me know the answer! :-)

Date: September 11, 2006 17:55

Memory Hotel was a compilation of leftover 70's tracks for the most part, from what my sources told me - not B2B and VL session leftovers...

Date: September 11, 2006 18:04

StonesTod Wrote:
> Memory Hotel was a compilation of leftover 70's
> tracks for the most part, from what my sources
> told me - not B2B and VL session leftovers...

I've been told the same (hence the title?) Drift away was a possible track.

Date: September 11, 2006 18:06

Fiji Jim and Gangster's Moll were on the list of songs I saw.....

Posted by: Gecko ()
Date: September 11, 2006 18:08

Kent I think you have as bigger chance of seeing God kill Allah than to see a sensefull reply to that e-mail.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 11, 2006 18:17

yap yap Wrote:
> If they did an "out takes" album,people would just
> cry because they already have those songs....

No they wouldnt. Most Stones unreleased songs are uncirculated. And its quite easy to release alternate versions of songs that HAVE been circulated.

.like
> Raities.

The main complaint about Rarities as I recall concerned the number of songs that werent 'rare' but which were currently available on easy to find albums. The actual concept of a Rarities release was quite a valid one. They just ballsed it up.

They wont have time to make a new studio record (as well as the confusion as to what label would distribute it), and as they'll have at most 30-40 shows to tour behind it, its pointless. Especially as they'll hardly play any songs from it anyway. Whereas most acts go on the road to push a new album, for the last couple of decades (and even more so with ABcool smiley the Stones do the opposite and make a nw record to give them the excuse to tour.

Remembering the fact that they used all the songs that were finished for ABB and hardly completed any for 40 Licks, given the choice between a hastily assembled collection of songs from a decade or more ago put together to promote a tour and which wont be played OR waiting a year or two until they cobbled together a proper archive multi-disc release spanning their recorded career, I know what I'd prefer.

Date: September 11, 2006 18:19

Gazza Wrote:
> given the choice between a
> hastily assembled collection of songs from a
> decade or more ago put together to promote a tour
> and which wont be played OR waiting a year or two
> until they cobbled together a proper archive
> multi-disc release spanning their recorded career,
> I know what I'd prefer.

well? don't leave us hangin', ya bastard!

Date: September 11, 2006 18:22

I see them releasing an archive cd in 5 years from now (plus 2 new songs)!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 11, 2006 18:30

I'd say pray for a new record deal first. And pray that it isn't with EMI/Virgin since they did all but zero to promote the last record............

Date: September 11, 2006 18:32

how about a glorious return to Sony with Jack Frost producing? ;-)

Date: September 11, 2006 18:36

How about signing up with Decca again? It's possible I tell you!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 11, 2006 20:49

They signed a 3 studio album deal with Virgin in around 1992/93, which they've fulfilled with A Bigger Bang. I don't think there'll be a new album. A Virgin B-sides/outtakes album would be nice, but it won't happen. Who'd buy it - apart from us?

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 11, 2006 21:33

Let ABB live, there is still rocking unplayed material in ABB. It has taken them 8 years to issue a new CD. How come they could do a new one within 5 monthes. Furthermore, I don't think Keith has a lot of creativity power anymore. Or just willingness. He sure should get inspired by Dylan in that way.

Date: September 11, 2006 23:08

In a interview in 2002 Keith mentioned that they had written nearly 30 tracks in a month. In a interview before the release of ABB Jagger said that all of the songs were written in 2004/2005. That means there are still many potential songs that may never see the light, from Forty Licks sessions alone. Plus some songs from previous albums, that's a lot of material to choose from. They can put it together to make a new album. The question is: do they WANT to?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 11, 2006 23:15

Doubt it

regardless of what Keith says about "writing 30 songs", in may 2002 they recorded for two weeks, and supposedly worked on 24/28 songs. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that with the elephant-length gestation that is normally required for a Stones record, there arent going to be too many songs in that period that were anything more than rough demos...especially considering the fact they were working against the clock to get some new songs finished for 40 Licks.

They may indeed have 'written' a lot of songs, but they were hardly finished, and I honestly doubt theyve been resurrected since. Fortunately, the calibre of songs written for A Bigger Bang were far superior.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: September 11, 2006 23:38

And if the two "songs" from 2002 (Extreme Western Grip & the other one) were the best on offer, which is presumably why they were the ones featured on 'Four Flicks' then I wouldn't set your hopes too high.

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: September 11, 2006 23:44

Tseverin Wrote:
> And if the two "songs" from 2002 (Extreme Western
> Grip & the other one) were the best on offer,
> which is presumably why they were the ones
> featured on 'Four Flicks' then I wouldn't set your
> hopes too high.

Not true.
those two tracks - Well, Well & Extreme Western Grip were included on FF Dvd because they were filmed (you weren't thinking they film every song they work out, were you?) and also to show the band in work. That's it.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 12, 2006 01:59

StonesTod Wrote:
> how about a glorious return to Sony with Jack
> Frost producing? ;-)

Jack Frost producing, playing keyboards and sporting a pencil-thin moustache

Guest musicians appearing on one or two tracks each:
Jack White on lead guitar
Jack Black on rhythm guitar
Jack Bruce on bass
Jack Irons on drums

The potential titles for this record would practically write themselves.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 12, 2006 04:56

Judging the sales of recent CD's, we'll get 45 Licks next year.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1571
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home