Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My summary of the Twickers shows
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 28, 2006 21:56

Just back home after 3 weeks of Scotland distilleries (27), Stones shows (2), pub crawling (unknown #) in Ireland, capped off by 4 pukes on the transatlantic flight home yesterday, due to food poisoning.....but I digress.

Had a fab time with friends and other people in London. The booze cruise was a gas. Sticky Fingers was tasty. Oh, and the shows....I won't bother you with excruciating detail, but some of the high/lowlights:

First show:

Sway, Ruby Tuesday, and (hold the presses) SOL were the highlights. Rambler didn't quite make it - song just didn't gel as per usual. GOOMC would have been a highlight, but for the horrendous sound by the b-stage (where we had migrated from our front-left position).

Back to SOL - a song most of you know that I detest - apparently not quite as much as the esteemed StonesDoug who tried to convince me he hated even more than I. But, live it's a different experience. Mick doesn't sing in that insidious manner that he does on the album, and the song works as an extended (seemed like it lasted some 6-7 minutes) ballad that allows Ronnie to flex some guitar oomph into it.

The sound was impeccable as we were 4 rows back of the left-side column.

Disappointed that YCAGWYW was dropped (it was on the setlist) - and it wasn't because of Mick's voice (which was a tad off all night) - but because they were up against the curfew.

Second show:

Location was perfect...but funny enough the sound wasn't nearly as solid as #1. Much muddier from the middle. Setlist was quite weak. Live with Me and Bitch added nothing to an otherwise throwaway list. She's So Cold might have been the highlight, and that's not saying too much. No ballads at all, saving for YCAGWYW in that slot....very disappointing, IMO. We stayed put for the b-stage this time and the sound was much better, but the b-stage songs were standard (yawn) warhorse fare.

Had the chance to get to a pre-show event for free booze and food a few hours before the show. Cindy, Rockman, Gazza and others partook as well. Unfortunately, my flask was found and ordered emptied before I went in....so 7 oz of Caol Ila was consumed at once, but then after 2 weeks on the Whisky Trail, it was barely notable.

Glad I went - it was one of the last Stones things I had always wanted to do - see them on their home turf. Having achieved that, I may wind up passing on remaining US shows. Oakland went on sale today I wasn't even tempted to poke around for tickets. I may change my mind, but as ONNYA and others here have discussed, it gets really difficult to justify the expense for the possible thrill of a song or two you haven't seen before. I did at times find myself yawning during moments of the Twickers shows and have to be honest that there's scant excitement about seeing some of these songs played to death. Dylan's coming back around in a few weeks with a new album he'll be featuring - at the moment that sounds like a better way to spend a couple of hours.

Sorry to finish the post on a downer - but, it wouldn't be much of a StonesTod post otherwise, now would it?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-28 23:17 by StonesTod.

Re: My summary of the Twickers shows
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 28, 2006 21:59

Glad you got back OK. Was great to see you in London. I assume you got back OK from Richmond after tuesdays show ?

Your mugshot is on several pix on here and the relevant threads over on Rocks Off

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: August 28, 2006 22:01

StonesTod - it's still not one of your posts yet - you forgot to say your catchphrase:

"Well slap my mother and cream and in my coffee...I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!"

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: August 28, 2006 22:01

Im glad that there a few people around who dare to critizise Rolling Stones Enterprises.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 28, 2006 22:07

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry to finish the post on a downer - but, it
> wouldn't be much of a StonesTod post otherwise,
> now would it?!

Right from the heart StonesTod, thanks for share your experiences

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: August 28, 2006 22:18

I'm pretty sure you'll be in Oakland next november.
Hope you didn't lose the CDR with Steel Wheels revisited on it.

Date: August 28, 2006 22:38

actually, luggage (with Steel Wheels stuff - thanks again, Gazza) still hasn't arrived from Heathrow!

Yeah got on a cab right after I left you, Gazza - after meeting Geraird again by chance....

Posted by: partydoll Meg ()
Date: August 29, 2006 01:10

Glad to see you made it home. People around here were actually missing yor vibrant personality, Tod...

Was truly a pleasure to meet/party with you at Twickers and to sing SOL together. Hopefully it won't be the last time...

Date: August 29, 2006 01:17

people actually missed me? damn. I need to work harder.

It was great meeting you, too, Meg. Felt like I was forced to walk the plank as I walked (sang) the streets of love, but I was definitely in fine company at least!

Date: August 29, 2006 01:32

StonesTod Wrote:
> people actually missed me? damn. I need to work
> harder.

>
> It was great meeting you, too, Meg. Felt like I
> was forced to walk the plank as I walked (sang)
> the streets of love, but I was definitely in fine
> company at least!

visual evidence here : [www.iorr.org]

sorry to hear about the various disasters on the way home. Hope the luggage turns up!

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: August 29, 2006 03:10

Welcome back--great stories--sounds like a life experience for sure.

Interesting about SOL, but thinking about it, I can totally see it--the vocal change sounds like a game saver. I picked up the deluxe edition, or whatever they call it of ABB because of Under the Rader. SOL is on the second disc because there is a video of it; I tend to let the whole thing play out and I must say I don't hate SOL nearly as much as I used to--lol.

Again welcome back, and good luck with your liver--I do not believe they regenerate.

Btw sound issues aside, what was your impression of the guitar section?

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: August 29, 2006 03:46

I think StonesTod and Gazza need to make a trip to KY for the Churchill Downs show. You guys could spend the days prior touring the area bourbon distilleries which I'm sure would give you an all new perspective on "justifying the expense for the possible thrill of a song or two you haven't seen before"?

Date: August 29, 2006 04:33

where did I say I needed to justify anything? It was Tod who was doing the whisky tour - not me! I just went over for the concerts (and pre-show parties of course...) winking smiley

Your idea sounds appealing though, now you mention it....!

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: August 30, 2006 03:36

StonesTod Wrote:
>
> First show:
>
> Sway, Ruby Tuesday, and (hold the presses) SOL
> were the highlights.

IMPOSTER!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 30, 2006 03:41

hahahahah. Stonestod likes SOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1275
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home