Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Does Keith play on Star Star?
Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: August 25, 2006 23:53

I've always liked this song but felt it didn't achieve all it could have (in a time when they seemed to get the most out of nearly every song). In particular the rhythm guitars seem a little lifeless and I'm wondering if Keith plays them. There's sort of a noise guitar chugging throughout and that clearly sounds like Mick Jagger. The other main guitar part is the high double stops which could have been played by Keith or could have been done by Mick Taylor in a Keith imitation. Both parts are dull, which is striking because no one in music at this time was better suited to play Chuck Berry guitar parts than KR. I have a hard time believing that he would have settled for such ordinary parts. MAYBE he played the solo.

He definitely played brilliantly at times on GHS (Coming Down Again, Angie, Heartbreaker) but besides Dancing With Mr. D do we know for sure that he played on anything else? He definitely wasn't on 100 Years, Hide Your Love, Winter, and Can You Hear the Music (although he says that's his riff). It's a shame, would have loved to hear these songs, when they were coming of an all-time roll, with Keith fully present.

Re: Does Keith play on Star Star?
Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: August 25, 2006 23:54

Electric Guitars: Keith Richards (Lead) & Mick Taylor

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 26, 2006 00:54

Yup, I hear what teleK hears - Mick J does play his less crisp rhythm on Silver Train though...Also fun w/ GHS to play "Spot Bill Wyman!" with friends on Friday nights...

Date: August 26, 2006 00:58

Does Jagger sing on Star Star?

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:01

Theif in the Night Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does Jagger sing on Star Star?

no. i heard that macca recorded it backwards and sent the tape to the stones. then the stones turned it, and it sounded like jagger, but he wasn`t

rekcufrast rekcufrast rekcufrast

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-26 01:10 by TeleK.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:26

milliondollar's point about the mood of GHS makes sense though, and in a way the albums sounds weary, haunted, a bit lethargic, wasted - some of what Exile was about but so beautifully transcended. By GHS KR's heroin haze was thickening, he was getting busted regularly, and much of the best of GHS was hardly hard rocking - the two Micks and Charlie make "100 Years Ago", "Winter" (another Jagger guitar) two of the album's classics...I remember people asking whether the Stones, over thirty, could "still rock." GHS came out the same year as 2 of Bowie's hardest rocking, NY Dolls' debut, "Mott" etc...but many veteran 60s bands sounded wasted (some made good records nnonetheless) - Traffic's similar "Fantasy Factory," Clapton's "Rainbow Concert," Lou Reed's "Berlin," and Neil Young's "Time Fades Away" (from the first straycat wail of 'fourteen junkies...' that open it up) etc

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:28

Oh, that's super clever. It sure took some fine ears to copy Electric Guitars: Keith Richards (Lead) and Mick Taylor from another web page.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 26, 2006 02:57

I think it's keith on lead but badly recorded, almost a soft-rock or Eagles sound. I still love the cut.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: August 26, 2006 04:23

I think its MT. Listen to the very last few notes of the solo.....thats sounds like MT.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-26 04:23 by bigfrankie.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 26, 2006 05:18

john r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember people asking
> whether the Stones, over thirty, could "still
> rock." GHS came out the same year as 2 of Bowie's
> hardest rocking, NY Dolls' debut, "Mott" etc...

I certainly remember being disappointed by GHS when it came out. What's amazing is how good it sounds today.

Date: August 26, 2006 05:28

they claim its keith but we weren't there. could be someone not even in the stones for all we know but until proven different i'm going with its keith.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: August 26, 2006 05:44

Keith plays washboard and Mick T. plays moonshine jug on Starfuc_ker. A moment of musical genius

Posted by: HoldOnToYourHat ()
Date: August 26, 2006 05:55

Definitely KR on lead. The last few notes of the solo that you say is Taylor can be heard played by Keith on various '73 boots. It does seem almost too fluid for Keith but at times he could sound a little like Taylor (Star Star, Bitch).

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: August 26, 2006 13:35

Definitely Mick on vocals...........nice try though!

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2187
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home