Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
U2,Aerosmith against Rolling Stones
Posted by: homerus ()
Date: August 15, 2006 14:04

Many says that Rolling Stones, U2 and Aerosmith are today the top rock bands in the world. And if for U2 we can say that they aren't so much a rock'n'roll group as other two (they are an alternative rock-pop band), what about Aerosmith? Are they the best rock band after Stones, as many says? I totally disagree with this. I think that they are one of the most overrated bands ever. I made a topic some months ago for the most overrated rock band-artist ever and i saw them many times (and U2 also) in the replies.
I can't understand why this group is still in the frontline. They made two "good" records in their beginning and after that, totally nothing. But the most amazing is that they haven't tour outside USA and in USA they play in basketball arenas, perhaps because they know that they can't full a stadium arena with 20,30 or more thousands people as other two.
Why they don't come to Europe? I think it is a big mistake for them.

Re: U2,Aerosmith against Rolling Stones
Date: August 15, 2006 14:05

what's up with you're comments? aerosmith rocks.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 15, 2006 14:12

Top three:
Rolling Stones
AC/DC
Aerosmith

followers:
U2
Bon Jovi (hate to say that but they fill stadiums all over the world)
Metallica

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 15, 2006 14:32

homerus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

erstand why this group is still in the
> frontline. They made two "good" records in their
> beginning and after that, totally nothing. But the
> most amazing is that they haven't tour outside USA
> and in USA they play in basketball arenas, perhaps
> because they know that they can't full a stadium
> arena with 20,30 or more thousands people as other
> two.
> Why they don't come to Europe? I think it is a big
> mistake for them.

I seem to remember Aerosmith filling Wembley Stadium just before it was demolished, so I guess theyre quite capable of playing stadiums in plenty of countries

Think you left the Red Hot Chili Peppers off that list, who are a huge stadium draw. Springsteen when touring with the E Street Band can still fill stadiums in most places worldwide.

The biggest bands as far as concert draws in the world are the Stones and U2. Easily. And this "alt-rock" categorization is meaningless nonsense.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 15, 2006 14:40

add Foo Fighters and Green Day to your 'Stadium fillers' list.

Oasis and Robbie Williams are in this category, in every territory,
apart from the Americas.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: August 15, 2006 15:07

>
> I seem to remember Aerosmith filling Wembley
> Stadium just before it was demolished, so I guess
> theyre quite capable of playing stadiums in plenty
> of countries

You sure about that Gazza...have a notion that Bon Jovi certainly DID fill wembley, and were last act to play there before the bulldozers moved in...if memory serves, the brothers gallagher were well peeved that they weren't the last...can't imagine the 'smith selling 72000 tickets in the UK

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 15, 2006 15:09

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 07:31 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Dale42 ()
Date: August 15, 2006 15:10

IMHO: The Grandaddy of all tour monsters is still THE BOSS ... Springsteen!!! Gives the most back to his fans more than anyone... and does so givigly. He loves his fans and has not lost sight of where he came from. 10 sold out Giant Stadium shows ... could anyone else do this today? maybe 3 or 4 BUT 10... If he wanted to as many shows as the Stones and charge more he could top all the leading tours...BUT that is what makes him different... he loves his fans!

Stones
U2
Ac/dc
Aerosmith
Metallica.

Out of this group My fav would be The Boss, Stones and Aerosmith ( in that order ). I know some dont like Aerosmith BUT they have some great albums.... "get your wings","toys in the attic".. "rocks" ( imo is one of the best hard rock records of the seventies ). "draw the line".. "pump".... I have seen them over a dozen times and sometimes like the Stones they are off.. HOWEVER even an average Aerosmith concert is better than most on thier best day. Aerosmith have earned the right to be in the top touring acts. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 15, 2006 15:12

I love Aerosmith!!! They played Holland in '97. I agree, they should come over much more!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: August 15, 2006 15:14

Bon Jovi MAYBE could sell out 5 giant stadium shows... not 10. the last 3 shows would be easy to get tickets for. BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE! Still after 30 years in biz... still over 30 songs and 3-4 hours PER show. AMAZING!!!!

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: August 15, 2006 15:23

I was at the 'Toxic Towers' event at Wembley, think it was '99 - it was a good day out, instead of just having the main band and the support, there were about five or six bands playing, making t a really enjoyable experience, with value for money, something that you can't really accuse the Stones of doing. especially as they choose some of the crapiest support going - especially in the UK.

Black Crowes rocked that day, left thinking they were the best band of the day, other included Stereophonics, Lenny Kravitz & more

Posted by: HamishCameron ()
Date: August 15, 2006 15:35

U2 no contest. Stones peaked. U2 on a peak!!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 15, 2006 15:37

textmonkey Wrote:
> >
> > I seem to remember Aerosmith filling Wembley
> > Stadium just before it was demolished, so I
> guess
> > theyre quite capable of playing stadiums in
> plenty
> > of countries
>
> You sure about that Gazza...have a notion that Bon
> Jovi certainly DID fill wembley, and were last act
> to play there before the bulldozers moved in...if
> memory serves, the brothers gallagher were well
> peeved that they weren't the last...can't imagine
> the 'smith selling 72000 tickets in the UK

Aerosmith played Wembley around the same time as the Stones did (ie, June '99). Bon Jovi were however the last act to play the old stadium prior to demolition and would have been the first to play the new one had it been opened in time.

For once, I was proud of Britain's ineptitude in these "grand projects" in ensuring this travesty didnt come to pass.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 15, 2006 15:42

as Gazza correctly states, Bon Jovi were the last group to play Wembley Stadium.

The last British group to play the stadium , were Bon Jovi's support band, that day, Toploader.
...altogether now:- "dancing in the moonlight"...

how about that for a stellar line-up,
for the last ever show at the old Wembley?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 15, 2006 16:03

Paul McCartney is huge too, doesn't he belong in the top3?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 15, 2006 16:04

Aerosmith is great, but there's LTS of crap from their albums too. Live they don't reach the Stones at all.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: August 15, 2006 18:36

I'm going to say this one more time..U2 sucks!!!!!!.New Years Day is the only song worth talking about..

Date: August 15, 2006 18:50

curtisdavis Wrote:
> I'm going to say this one more time..U2
> sucks!!!!!!.New Years Day is the only song worth
> talking about..

Agreed, but I'd take Elevation over New Years Day...

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: August 15, 2006 19:31

Bruce Springsteen is playing 2 concerts in Germany late October and early November. He didn't even manage to sell out these two arenas (Colorline Arena with 16.000 capacity and Kölnarena with 20.000 capacity!) at prices way below those of the Stones. The Stones however played to 250.000+ people in Germany with prices up to 207€. Thats what I call a mass attraction.

IMO, there a only 2 TRUE stadium acts in the world who are able to sellout virtually any stadium in the world even at high ticket prices:

- Michael Jackson (although not activly touring for years)
- Rolling Stones

Of course there are a handful of other bands and artists who can sell out a stadium here and there, but nothing comes close to the Stones and Jackson.

Date: August 15, 2006 19:50

ThatswhatIsay,

Bruce is not doing a regular tour. He toured he in in the US as well.to promote his record of gospel music. The e-street band is NOT touring with him NOR is he doing ANY of his regular music.

To compared BRUCE when he is touring as the regular Bruce and the band in toe.... those stadiums would be full plus multible dates. NOR would he be doing just the arena's either.. so this outting is not a good comparison. He is not trying to be Bruce Springsteen and the E-street band.

Its like saying that if Mick toured without the rest of the band with a concept album and did NO stones music would the stadiums be full... NO they would not. Plus 3 years ago.. Bruce and E-street sold out 10 giant stadiums shows in under a week Plus returned later in the tour for 2 more sold out shows. Could the Stones do that today???? NO!

Bruce and E-Steet band VS the Stones at Giants Stadium or any stadium for that matter ... who sells out more shows... Come on the answer is easy. Bruce!

I love the Stones but the shine is coming off really quick,I have gone to 7 shows so far and 2 have been GREAT 2 have been good and 3 have been a real mess. But I am going to Giants Stadium but I have to tell you the truth, I have no idea which band is going to show up. Bruce is a great show EVERY time!

Date: August 15, 2006 19:52

7 shows on THIS TOUR so far.... 43 altogether. I have to admit. I think this tour has shown some thier worst playing ever. It has shown some great playing but it hasnt shown them at thier best... but the worst has been exposed on this outting

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: August 15, 2006 20:23

Ok, might be a bad comparison indeed. But I guess you won't tell us that Bruce is a bigger draw than the Stones??
This Giants Stadium thing is also a bad comparison because Bruce was born in New Jersey and is something like a local hero there. Of course it's remarkable nevertheless to sell out 10 successive concerts, but every artists has his popularity centers. Outside of New Jersey Bruce could never keep up with the Stones in particular not if he charged the same ticket prices! The Stones always charged top prices for their tickets of their extravaganza tours from 1989-2006. Virutally no other artist could have done that and still be selling out stadiums all over the world.
Remember the Stones played to almost 3,5 mio. people on their Steel Wheels tour in the US alone! Now that's incredible. And to rougly 6,5 mio. worldwide.

Date: August 15, 2006 21:05

[en.wikipedia.org]

here is a link to bruce last tour outting with the boys...... 221 million gross at prices much lower than the stones and actually over 5.5 million went to see him on that tour. Now IF that tour has just 50 dollars more a ticket( which would have still been cheper than the Stones ) you could ad another 275,000,000 to the gross of the tour. PLUS his entire tour was PERFECT ATTANDENCE... now to say NJ is home and thats why he sold out giants stadium.... ok... I say to you HOW COME THE 2 SHOWS AT THE TWINKS ARE NOT SOLD OUT!.... IF the stones charged on this tour what SPRINGSTEEN DID ON THE RISING TOUR.... US WOULD HAVE BLOWN THEM AWAY IN NUMBERS.

THE BOSS IS THE BOSS!!!!

Date: August 15, 2006 21:09

The boss is Mick Jagger. Bruce maybe is in the top ten but there's a looooooooong way down there...

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 15, 2006 21:17

Sorry charlie, I know you need to love and stand bye... Bruce is THE man. HE does everything Jagger does on stage and then some and with a guitar on his back, jumping over piano's etc and not for 20 song EXACLTY 2hour sets... Try over 30 songs for 3.5 to 4 hours a night over 120 to 130 shows. PLEASE and his is not that much younger than Mick. There is NOT a more passionate live frontman in the biz right now than BRUE when he is with the E-street band!!!! Sorry..... not even close.

Date: August 15, 2006 21:19

But does he hae the songs? No way. Nowhere near. And does he have the high energy shows? No way.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 15, 2006 21:19

and dont any one give me he is trying to be like the stones.... BRUCE AND THE E-STREET BAND is probably the only one you can label like that. I see everyone doing that with Steven Tyler, Chris Robinson, Rod Stewart... . Cant do that with the BOSS...nothin like him!

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: August 15, 2006 21:20

There are quite few who give back more to fans than Bruce Springsteen. In 1993 he played in 4 hours and 15 minutes in Oslo and it was a terrible rainy day. He played 13-15 extranumber and that`s almost insane. I have just seen him once, in 1999, he played over three hour and he was great. Either you like him or not, you gotta admit that he is a great performer.

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: August 15, 2006 21:26

Bruce Blows!!..period..3 to 4 hours of torture..give me 3 hours with the Stones,The Whos,Mccartney,but not the so-called Boss...

Date: August 15, 2006 21:31

Jagger, daultry would never do it... would be the best I give you that. Nothing like Bruce live ... check out DVD from Barcelona it in stores

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home