Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lost Great Record
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 28, 2006 13:20

What is the stones lost great record - Is it the Black Box, Other Artists have a lost great record like Dylan with Infidels etc.

Re: Lost Great Record
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 28, 2006 13:25

There's not any lost "opus magnum" as such - like the Beach Boys' "Smile". But coming close IMO is the unreleased Live Album of the 1972 North American Tour. Most of the chosen tracks are out on bootlegs but only few of them are the "polished" versions. You can find some of them on "Very Ancient, Thank You Kindly", posted here some weeks ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-28 13:27 by Greenblues.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: July 28, 2006 13:32

I know Eric Andersen experienced that his follow up to the critically acclaimed Blue River (1972) was lost in the vaults of his record company for 25 years. He said it was like he was pole vaulting, and the pole snapped... The album was then released in¨'97, I think, named "The Lost Album", ad it's a gem. If you come across an album by this fine artist - buy it. (And he's worked with Blondie Chaplin, like all the other great artists)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 28, 2006 13:50

I don't think if it is a lost album really but more like Dylan's Infidels, namely Emotional Rescue. They somehow screwed it up, came with a wrong song order, chose some wrong songs instead of some better. Do not understand me wrongly; I happen to like Emotional Rescue very much; it is one of my favourites and it's getting better and better as the years go by, but somehow I feel that it might have been a more profilic album. I mean, they did have a lot of great, original sounding material at the time. But I don't know, Perhaps it is great as it is. I love its decadent, sleazy atmosphere.

But then there are lots of 'lost ideas' . 'Could You Walk on Water?' album title and cover; 'Only Lovers Left Alive' -movie; R&R Circus vol. 2 at Colosseo, Rome... and of course, the mentioned 1972 live album.

But oh yeah: there was one actual 'lost album' few years ago; the one that was made of out-takes of Bridges and Voodoo-albums. It was scheduled to release, but then cancelled. BV wrote about it some time ago. Anybody remember?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-28 13:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 28, 2006 14:29

OpenG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the stones lost great record - Is it the
> Black Box, Other Artists have a lost great record
> like Dylan with Infidels etc.

there isnt one, really from what I can see. The Stones have generally (going by the bootlegs at least) been consistent in choosing their best available material wisely for release. There doesnt appear to be anything akin to 'Blind willie mctell' lying there in the vaults like Dylan had in the album youre referring to.

Doxa and Greenblues' points on what ER could have been and the 1972 live album are worth mentioning, though.

There was an alternative album to Metamorphosis compiled by Wyman in 1975, however, called "The Black Box" (not the same as the bootleg of the ssame name). Entirely different track listing to Metamorphosis, taken from 60's recordings and including stuff like "Panama powder room" etc. An acetate of it was bought at Sotheby's in the late 80's/early 90's by a Stones collector who shall remain nameless because he's probably going to read this, but who wisely chose not to circulate/bootleg it as he paid a considerable sum for it. The vast majority of the tracks have never circulated in any form. Wyman even mixed the songs for it before the project was withdrawn in early 1975

The unreleased album from 1999 was called "Memory Hotel". As none of it was bootlegged, and the track listing not generally known, its a bit hard to comment on its artistic worth

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 28, 2006 14:44

Thanks all - yeah I guess the stones don,t have a Foot Of Pride or Blind Willie
lying around the best they came up with was start me up or tops etc from the vaults.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 28, 2006 14:50

I also don't think there really is a great lost album. The 72 Live album...haven't we encompassed this release with what we have by now on boots? The only thing that I can only imagine is what the Stones might have done with it a' la Yay-Ya's. They might have turned those red-hot performances into something even better.
But the closest IMO is the Wyman collection for the original "Metamorphosis". Like Gazza says "Panama Powder Room" and "Godzi".

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: July 28, 2006 16:22

Didn't Keith have a solo album ready for release that was deemed "too reggae-ish"?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 28, 2006 16:50

There was talk in the late 70's of him making a solo record called 'Bad luck' but it was nothing more than that. The solo stuff he cut in Toronto in 1977 is for me the greatest unreleased Stones stuff out there. Keith never wanted to make a solo record - he only signed a solo deal with Virgin in the late 80's as an admission that he couldnt keep the Stones together.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 28, 2006 17:12

During the recording session of Beggars Banquet they had nearly burnt and (afterwards) drowned the tapes but could save them in time. This could have been the lost great album. So, it's a released great album :-)

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: July 28, 2006 17:54

I think so many good tracks were cut during The Some Girl sessions in Paris that a great lost album is in those unreleased songs. Needles to say Some Girls itself it pretty FU*KING good!

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: July 28, 2006 19:25

I still have to believe that there is enough unknown stuff in the vaults to put together a pretty interesting rarities box set on the order of Springsteen's Tracks. And if you wanted to throw in seminal live stuff, they could easily match Dylan's Bootleg series. They have never even done a BBC-tapes release like every other major or even semi-successful band has (and yes I have the boot versions of this stuff but they are no match for a professional release).

Remember when the perfect-quality Mick solo version of Gangster's Maul with Jeff Beck showed up on Dime last year? Who knew?

Just based on what has been thrown around in this thread, a 4 CD box set could easily look like:

Disc 1: Black Box (60's)
Disc 2: Tattoo Two (70's)
Disc 3: RS & Friends 100 Club Tribute to Stu + 80's outtakes
Disc 4: Memory Hotel (90's)

I will now begin holding my breath....(still holding...)..,

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: July 28, 2006 19:33

Potted Shrimp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think so many good tracks were cut during The
> Some Girl sessions in Paris that a great lost
> album is in those unreleased songs. Needles to say
> Some Girls itself it pretty FU*KING good!

Exactly! One of my top 5 Stones albums. Tragically underrated by many.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 28, 2006 20:00

There is also the Could You Walk On Water LP, which was shelved because of its name. It of course became Aftermath and it's artwork later surfaced on the Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass) compilation. I think most of the proposed tracks were officially released on other records except maybe Get Yourself Together, if that was ever intended to be included?

Date: July 30, 2006 19:41

cbtaco19 Wrote:

> Remember when the perfect-quality Mick solo
> version of Gangster's Maul with Jeff Beck showed
> up on Dime last year? Who knew?

Now, that sounds intersting. I love Jeff Beck and I've always wondered why the Stones didn't finish Gangsters Maul which is a great song (I recently posted the Stones' version as part of "Lonely At The Top"). Hope this new gem you're talking about turns up here someday.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-31 02:23 by Greenblues.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home