Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones Say "Farewell"...And So Do I
Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: July 22, 2006 03:45

I notice that Bjornulf has deleted my thread about the New York Dolls, which I cannot believe. That's the first time that this has happened to me since I started posting here many years ago. I thought that since the Dolls exist purely BECAUSE of the Rolling Stones and that they are the best Rolling Stones-influenced band ever, that this--off ALL places--would be a place where people would be interested to know about their new album and appearances. The reason I discovered and love the Dolls in the first place is because of the Stones.

I run out of things sometimes to say about the Stones and I really used to enjoy finding out about Stones-related things here. I don't see what harm is caused.

I also post on Shocklines, which is a board devoted to horror fiction and films, but many related topics are also discussed. I'm not saying that we should discuss the Mid-East crisis here, but I don't think that discussing the New York Dolls or Aerosmith or The Who or David Bowie or the Faces or Ryan Adams or Sheryl Crow, etc., ventures too far off-topic. After all, ain't the site called "It's Only Rock 'N Roll"??

I have always enjoyed posting and reading other posts here and I have always tried to be interesting and thoughtful in my posts. But if I have to watch and parse everything I have to say and that everything has to DIRECTLY relate to current and/or past members of the Rolling Stones then I think, like the Rolling Stones will say at the end of this year, that it's time to say "farewell." Don't want to...I'm sure some of the Stones don't want to either but, like me, are being forced to by other members...

Re: The Rolling Stones Say "Farewell"...And So Do I
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 22, 2006 03:52

BV deletes any posts he deems "unfit" for this board. Basically, if it's TECHNICALLY not about the Stones, it could get the chop. I've had a thread deleted before and yes, while it was tough at first, I got through it. You can too. I did notice however, that football threads were allowed during World Cup month! I personally think it's a little unfair, as do many others.

Date: July 22, 2006 03:54

brilliant.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: July 22, 2006 04:16

No one likes a quitter

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: July 22, 2006 05:25

Well the cencorship here has become a joke. Christ one stupid phuking world cup thread after another and a music realted thread is given the chop?

I notice this site is not growing in popularity and if people are joining they're normally the same cronies with a new name or newbies that hang around read a few threads that then disappear and then follow suit themselves.

Get rid of politics, religion - topics that are generally not related to this site or music as a rule. Get rid of repatative threads, get rid of rude threads, I think most members would agree to this - but a thread about the NYD?

I would have read it given the chance cos I know nothing about them.

Doesn't really matter cos once this tour ends we all know it's pretty much the end of the road and this site will be screaming out for anyone to come and jabber about anything.

Maybe you can try again then Jack.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 22, 2006 06:21

I'd rather read about the Dolls than the World Cup.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 22, 2006 06:36

I'd rather play with Dolls than read about the World Cup

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 22, 2006 07:00

I'd rather be a Doll than play with a World Cup.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: July 22, 2006 12:13

Jack Knife, I love the New York Dolls and I 100% agree with you - well, I also like football, and anyway I'm fine with OT, as long as it doesn't become rude. Even fine with politics and religion, although I don't contribute, and the reason why they should be deleted is just that they always become rude.

I also think the censorship is ridiculous. Mind you, it's also absurd within Stones topics, only accepting praises etc. When BV doesn't delete, he responds very agressively to what is said, basically along the lines "you must have a lot of energy to waste if you criticise...".

I guess we have to accept that the reason why this site exists, is because BV adores the Stones so much, and he seems to take at heart the fact that they are on the decline and that they might end soon. Don't talk badly about someone's dying love, and don't you think that anything else than his dying love is worth talking about...

In a way, I can understand that, although it does do harm to his great sight (I mean, "site" - that's the edit!). Just like you understand your friend being obsessed with his dying love, but it does make it hard for you to share your own concerns with him!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-22 12:15 by otonneau.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 22, 2006 12:22

If one doesnt get the connection Stones-Dolls
or Richards-Thunders then one doesnt know anything about rock'n'roll.
It's a straight. broad line from Africa over the cottonfields,
to Dartford, Kent thru Thunders and punk rock simultaneously.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: July 22, 2006 15:19

Right, little monkey! But I suppose the thread was deleted because it promoted / Sold the new Dolls album... (BTW My boyfriend and I partied with David Johansen and Sylvain and the rest of the band in Norway last summer. They had quite a jam session and are great guys. I like them a lot better without all the make-up...)

Posted by: bartfrombrussels ()
Date: July 22, 2006 18:33

A webmaster thinks he always that he is god. In this case there is someone above god, namely The Rolling Stones mamagement (cq Jagger LTD). So no critisism otherwise his Backstage pass is cancelled!

Posted by: abb05 ()
Date: July 22, 2006 18:55

imo,this site is better off when folks like Jack Knife are here posting.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 22, 2006 19:05

Jack Knife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I notice that Bjornulf has deleted my thread about
> the New York Dolls, which I cannot believe.
> That's the first time that this has happened to me
> since I started posting here many years ago. I
> thought that since the Dolls exist purely BECAUSE
> of the Rolling Stones and that they are the best
> Rolling Stones-influenced band ever, that
> this--off ALL places--would be a place where
> people would be interested to know about their new
> album and appearances. The reason I discovered
> and love the Dolls in the first place is because
> of the Stones.
>
> I run out of things sometimes to say about the
> Stones and I really used to enjoy finding out
> about Stones-related things here. I don't see
> what harm is caused.
>
> I also post on Shocklines, which is a board
> devoted to horror fiction and films, but many
> related topics are also discussed. I'm not saying
> that we should discuss the Mid-East crisis here,
> but I don't think that discussing the New York
> Dolls or Aerosmith or The Who or David Bowie or
> the Faces or Ryan Adams or Sheryl Crow, etc.,
> ventures too far off-topic. After all, ain't the
> site called "It's Only Rock 'N Roll"??
>
> I have always enjoyed posting and reading other
> posts here and I have always tried to be
> interesting and thoughtful in my posts. But if I
> have to watch and parse everything I have to say
> and that everything has to DIRECTLY relate to
> current and/or past members of the Rolling Stones
> then I think, like the Rolling Stones will say at
> the end of this year, that it's time to say
> "farewell." Don't want to...I'm sure some of the
> Stones don't want to either but, like me, are
> being forced to by other members...

I know what you mean, next time name your Topic i.e. Rolling Stones versus New York Dolls or something.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 22, 2006 19:24

If your post get deleted then it is because you break the rules. This particular post was deleted because it was breaking the following rules:

1. UPPER CASE in subject field and/or entire post
2. Commercial layout ("buy this cd...")
3. Non-stones content

I delete may be one thread per week at the most. Not because of censorship but because if there were no rules on IORR this forum would lokk like a toilet wall. If a post you make get deleted then please do not take it personally. I don't even look at the name of who is posting. It is the content that matters only.

About non-stones content: Such posts will be allowed as you may have seen, but if you spice them up with offending, UPPER CASE, sales oriented or otherwise content or layout that is not according to the policy then they may see a short life.

About rules: I don't want to write up hundreds of rules for posting on IORR. They are very basic common sense and most people understand them. Do not post offending. Do not post UPPER CASE. Do not post personal. Do not attack individuals. Do not post off-topic all of the time. Nothing spectacular. Just basic rules you meet in ordinary life.

Bjornulf
IORR Editor

Posted by: bartfrombrussels ()
Date: July 22, 2006 19:50

dEUS dixit!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 23, 2006 10:17

The New York Dolls suck by the way...

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: July 23, 2006 10:42

No, the Dolls are FAB!

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 23, 2006 10:45

bv Wrote:

> About rules: I don't want to write up hundreds of
> rules for posting on IORR. They are very basic
> common sense and most people understand them. Do
> not post offending. Do not post UPPER CASE. Do not
> post personal. Do not attack individuals. Do not
> post off-topic all of the time. Nothing
> spectacular. Just basic rules you meet in ordinary
> life.

yeah, everybody knows not to speak in upper case.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: July 23, 2006 10:59

YEAH EVERYBODY KNOWS NOT TO TYPE IN UPPER CASE

-Drake

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 23, 2006 12:10

The best thing to do here is go with the flow. If you want to argue your case with someone, just e-mail them. Rock n Roll baby!

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: July 23, 2006 13:24

"If one doesnt get the connection Stones-Dolls
or Richards-Thunders then one doesnt know anything about rock'n'roll."

Well that's a mindless sweeping statement if ever I read one.
I know nothing about the NYD or "Thunders" and I know a great deal about rock and roll.

It's akin to saying if one has never been to the moon then one obviously doesn't know it's there.

As for your comments BV, as usual I rarely get any of your points.
Capitals to me are generally pointless I admit, but to find them offensive is very strange.

"I delete may be one thread per week at the most. Not because of censorship"

Talk about instant contradiction.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 23, 2006 16:15

If one doesnt get the connection Stones-Dolls
or Richards-Thunders then one doesnt know anything about rock'n'roll."

Well that's a mindless sweeping statement if ever I read one.
I know nothing about the NYD or "Thunders" and I know a great deal about rock and roll.

Hi most excellent Aussie guy Kyle, unfortunately those statements are true go immediately to a CD shop and buy the first two Dolls albums, you don't know what you have been missing. And while you are at it pick up Thunders "So Alone" and "LAMF", amongst many rock n roll fans (and musicians) these records have a similar status to Exile and Sticky Fingers

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: July 23, 2006 16:35

Hey Jack Knife,
Did you ever find your towel? Man, I had a thread deleted once. Don't take it personally.

Later, right?..........you will be back later?

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 23, 2006 16:45

Lukester Wrote:
> Hey Jack Knife,
> Did you ever find your towel? Man, I had a
> thread deleted once. Don't take it personally.
>
> Later, right?..........you will be back later?

Yeah,Luke!!!if ya Thread..is deleted...your in!!!We a bunch of bad boys.be proud and stay.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: July 23, 2006 23:13

"Dance Like a Monkey" kicks ass ;-)

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: July 24, 2006 07:30

You guys are something else. What a rowdy bunch of @#$%& you are!

I do feel I must respond to BV's points:

1. I am sorry...I honestly did not know about the Upper Case rule. It does make sense, however, I must say.

2. I do hope that it was clear that I was not gaining anything financially by directing people to the New York Dolls site in order to pre-order a signed copy of their new album. I just thought not many people here would know about it otherwise. Just like the Faces box-set signed by Ian MacLagan. I think a lot of us might have missed that had the link not been posted here.
The Dolls have been away for a long, long time. I want them to be successful, feel appreciated and to know that there are people who are really glad to have them back. I thought Stones fans would be the most likely to be amongst those people.

3. It's hard for me to differentiate between what is a Stones and what is a non-Stones subject. I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I don't understand. Does this mean that discussion of a Stones-like band like the Dolls is off-limits, yet a discussion of hip-hop artist Wyclef Jean would not be because he produced and was part of a Mick Jagger solo song? Would the Dolls be Stones-related if they opened for the Stones? Oh, well.

Anyway, this is a great site for information, and I will continue to come here for that, but I've really run out things to say about the Stones for now. Anything would be a rehash. It's someone else's turn. So until the Stones put out a new CD or DVD or I see them again, I'm just wasting my time and yours.

Also, personal attacks against Bjornulf are out of order, guys. It's his site. He puts his hard work into it and if he decides that the only thing that can be discussed here is Tiddly-Winks, that's his prerogotive. I appreciate what he does and what he has done.

No...I never got my towel. Eric emailed me and offered to send one to me and I emailed him back three times but no response and no towel. He does have my address now, though! Well...I heard about the Midnight Rambler...

And anyone who thinks the New York Dolls suck....well...if I could ban people from this site...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home