Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Information on Rolling Stones Recording Sessions needed..
Posted by: Gimme Shelter ()
Date: November 15, 2009 22:45

Hi,

do you guys have articles that mention how the stones recorded. I think of tape machines, mics... maybe pics too ?

i'm grateful for any help !

Re: Information on Rolling Stones Recording Sessions needed..
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 15, 2009 22:49

Given that their recording career spans five decades, in multiple studios, continents and formats, that would be quite an undertaking...

Date: November 15, 2009 22:50

i'm mostly interested in the recording of the 4 "golden years" records smiling smiley

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 15, 2009 22:54

I posted this link once before, it´s not the "golden years" but it may be of interest anyway.

[mixonline.com]

Date: November 15, 2009 23:23

What we need is a scholarly book along the lines of "Beatles Recording Sessions" or even better, "recording The Beatles". It would be great to have accurate song by song data for at least the period up through Tattoo You.

Date: November 15, 2009 23:24

yeah would be really cool!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 16, 2009 01:54

This Beatles book is awesome. Too bad there isn't and probably never will be a Stones book like this one.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 16, 2009 02:12

71Tele
What we need is a scholarly book along the lines of "Beatles Recording Sessions" or even better, "recording The Beatles". It would be great to have accurate song by song data for at least the period up through Tattoo You.

Why end there? It'd be a bit pointless to stop less than half way into their career.

Its a project I'd personally loved to have done, but getting access to studio logs (plus the fact that so much of the Stones sessions were recorded on MRU's and not at record-label owned studios (in the way that Dylan has done for example) helps make it an absolutely mammoth and complicated undertaking.

Date: November 16, 2009 02:19

Well, focusing on the better-quality material would probably put some needed limits on the project. You could then do Part II. I highly recommend Recording The Beatles as it has every mixing desk, eq box, limiter, and mic they ever used. Amazing bit of research. Well worth the $100 for the book.

There's so much misinformation on the Stones sessions as to who played what. This is of course easier on lp's like B&B and Some Girls where they issued detailed credits (Exile too), but there are still some myths about Beggars Banquet and many other albums and singles.

Unlike The Beatles, the Stones recorded a lot of material that was never used or not completed, and a book such as this would be most valuable in nailing down some of that stuff.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 16, 2009 07:38

Yeah but from things said over the years some of the people credited on Exile didn't actually play what they were credited for. Bill Wyman said that Bill Plummer was listed playing on a song he didn't play on that Bill did, etc...so who knows for the other albums as well.

Then again, how could they remember! Unless someone took notes (Steel Wheels through Bridges they seemed to keep track of things but for Bang it seems they left a couple of things out, like a keyboard on one song, I forget which one), they just may as well of made it all up. Who knows.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: November 16, 2009 11:41

Try www.nzentgraf.de

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 16, 2009 11:51

What about the Martin Elliotts' one "The complete recording sessions " ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: November 16, 2009 18:34

<< Bill Wyman said that Bill Plummer was listed playing on a song he didn't play on that Bill did, etc...so who knows for the other albums as well. >>

Aren't there TWO basses credited on Just Wanna See His Face (Taylor and Plummer)? Always wondered about that. Maybe one held it down and one bowed it a la Ruby Tuesday!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home