Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Decca/Klein Repackages
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 15, 2009 22:15

After the Stones left Decca, a few unauthorized repackages were put out. One was actually quite good, as it had "Sad Day" and a number of other B-sides and rare tracks on it. This had the "pitchfork" JJF picture on the cover. I can't recall the title or track listing. Can anyone enlighten me? I don't believe it was ever issued on CD.

Re: Decca/Klein Repackages
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 15, 2009 22:21

No Stone Unturned - October 1973

ROCKMAN

Date: November 15, 2009 22:30

Yep, that's it! Thanks. I assume most of these were issued later on the Singles Collection.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 15, 2009 22:30

Rockman
No Stone Unturned - October 1973

Decca SKL 5173

[en.wikipedia.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: November 15, 2009 23:28

There was at least one (often more) "new" Decca compilation every year in the 70s and 80s before the CD was invented.

Date: November 15, 2009 23:30

I think the first time Decca did it the Stones took out a huge ad in the trades saying it was not authorized by the group. "Rolling Stones only available on Rolling Stones Records".

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 16, 2009 02:07

midnrambler
There was at least one (often more) "new" Decca compilation every year in the 70s and 80s before the CD was invented.

There was for a few years after the Stones left the label, until the rights to repackage their old material changed

Stone Age (1971)
The press release issued by the Stones read "We didn't know this record was going to be released. It is, in our opinion, below the standard we try to keep up, both in choice of content and cover design." (Pity they didnt apply the same standard to 'Rarities' 35 years later). The album consisted of 12 songs which hadnt appeared on UK albums until that point.

Gimme Shelter (1971)
which included one side of material consisting of live performances previously unissued in the UK (ie, half of the US 'Got live if you want it' album). The other side was 6 well known songs from 1968-69

Milestones (1972)
A 12-track album, with a mixture of big hits and album tracks

Rock 'n' Rolling Stones (1972)
Probably my favourite of them all. Five of the 12 songs are Chuck Berry covers (including the 2 from YaYas), as well as Chuck soundalike songs such as Down the Road Apiece, Route 66 etc. Only 2 of the 12 songs are original compositions.

No Stone Unturned (1973)
More than half of the 12 songs were old b-sides, and the rest hadnt appeared on UK albums. The first UK release of any kind for 'Congratulations', I think.

Rolled Gold (1975)
28-track double LP which was our equivalent of 'Hot Rocks'. Reissued in 2007 with 12 extra tracks. The only post-1970 Decca compilation to have got a CD release.

Solid Rock (1980)
An odd grab-bag of 15 songs, featuring some big hits, early covers and choice album cuts ('Citadel'?)

Slow Rollers (1981)
A companion piece to 'Solid Rock', consisting of 14 slower songs from 'You Better Move On' through to 'YCAGWYW' and including the Italian version of 'As Tears Go By'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-16 02:14 by Gazza.

Date: November 16, 2009 02:11

<<The press release issued by the Stones read "We didn't know this record was going to be released. It is, in our opinion, below the standard we try to keep up, both in choice of content and cover design." >>

This is exactly the press release Stones fans could have issued in regard to much of their later studio efforts.

Date: November 16, 2009 02:41

Gazza
Stone Age (1971)
The press release issued by the Stones read "We didn't know this record was going to be released. It is, in our opinion, below the standard we try to keep up, both in choice of content and cover design."

Date: November 16, 2009 02:49

Keith "Richard" indeed...

Date: November 16, 2009 02:55

71Tele

That's how he was known back then.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-16 12:14 by Deltics.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 16, 2009 03:02

71Tele

He wasnt professionally known as 'Richards' until around 77-78

Date: November 16, 2009 03:10

I know...I was having fun with the fact that he used to be "Richard"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home