Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: HELP! Travel advice for Switzerland required
Date: November 15, 2009 19:13

Next month I will be travelling to Basle for the Basle v Fulham game. I was hoping to while away the night hours reading a book in the airport but now find that the airport is closed between midnight and 4:30am. So I have booked a room at the Formule 1 at the airport. Only problem is the Hotel is in the French half of the airport. Can anyone tell me if this is going to be problematical? How easy is it to slip over the border and back between airport and hotel and is it walkable?

Cheers

Re: OT: HELP! Travel advice for Switzerland required
Posted by: Boarder ()
Date: November 15, 2009 19:47

To my knowledge, the French and the Swiss part of the airport are strictly separated (even to separate customs/exits for arriving passengers). The worst thing could be that you would have to drive back to Basel from the French part and then drive back to the Swiss part of the airport (there is a separate, 'Swiss' highway to the airport which goes through French territory).

In short: I am not sure whether there is an official way to slip over the border at the airport. You might want to call the airport to find out.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: November 15, 2009 20:22

Hasn't Switzerland finally signed the Schengen Agreement this year?

So there shouldn't be any problems going from Switzerland to France and vice versa now.
(although I'd like to point out that I have never been to the airport myself and cannot tell you about personal experiences here... but politically it's quite clear)

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: November 15, 2009 22:53

I don't know the Basle/Mulhouse Airport but at Zurich Airport there is NO passport control for EU passengers annymore. "Schengen" as MacPhisto wrote is signed and since end of march in duty. BUT England is not a "Schengen" country. BUT...

Here are some informations in english. (FAQ's)

[www.euroairport.com]

Can I cross the border between France and Switzerland inside the airport without a ticket?
Yes, you can cross the border between France and Switzerland inside the airport terminal, even if you have no ticket. You just need a valid passport or identity card. The cross-over point is situated at Departure level (level 3) and is open from 4.00 am until 30 minutes after the last arrival (approx. 00.30am).

However, there is no possibility to cross the border between the carparks.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 16, 2009 02:04

if you're (also) here on a tuesday you have to come to zürich. i got a funny show going on:
karaoke from hell. live band with people singing rock, punk, metal classics on stage in a big club! stones songs included!

otherwise, just enjoy switzerland and some good soccer...;-)

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Date: November 16, 2009 09:54

I'm pretty sure the airport is technically on French soil. If you have a passport on you there shouldn't be any difficulties. (One would probably take a shuttle van or taxi from hotel to airport; inquire w/hotel.) Oh and there is some Krueger Stones art work in Basel you might want to view?

Posted by: Boarder ()
Date: November 16, 2009 12:22

The airport is indeed on French soil. However, as mariannerl pointed out it is possible to cross the boarder on foot, but not by car. Check the website mariannerl has mentioned.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 16, 2009 15:49

do not have outstanding warrants for your arrest .other than that have a great trip

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: November 16, 2009 15:58

Are you getting your blood changed while you are there?

Posted by: Mean.Mr.Mustard ()
Date: November 16, 2009 16:17

Criss Cross Man, good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Mean Mr.Mustard

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 16, 2009 16:24

Why not just pick a different hotel? Make sure you check out Basle. It's one beautiful city.

CBII

Date: November 16, 2009 21:06

CBII
Why not just pick a different hotel? Make sure you check out Basle. It's one beautiful city.

That of course is the sensible option. My original plan was to spend the night in the airport itself just reading a boo as I have a very early flight out. But the airport is closed between 12:00 and 4:4.30 in the morning. I booked the hotel in question because it was very near the hotel - did't realise it was on the French side!

Certainly going to check out the city. Plan on walking around for 6 hours before the game.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 16, 2009 21:16

Welcome to CH. If your train is one minute late, you will read about it in the papers the next day.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: November 16, 2009 22:24

Sure yer not going to the Keith Richards Bloodchange Clinic, lad? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 16, 2009 22:52

HEILOOBAAS
Sure yer not going to the Keith Richards Bloodchange Clinic, lad? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

No - I won't have enough time!!!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 17, 2009 01:07

my advice: bring a lot of money!! very expensive!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home