Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

15watt amps and the others
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: July 4, 2006 05:50

My amp is 15watt Marshall.I cannot get the volume very high beacuse I live in an apartment.But I have a maybe stupid question.Maybe I am wrong but more or less the price of an amp starts from the watts.I don't mean the very,very expensive models.
I am gonna play my whole life in my apartment and never with a band.Maybe very rare with another guitarist.Does it worth to invest in a more expensive amp?Am I gonna hear the difference in the sound or the price is more just for the watts and the extra effects they have?

Re: 15watt amps and the others
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 4, 2006 06:02

I think that the big difference in prices for small amps all depends on if the amp is solid-state or tube. You can expect a good tube amp to run at least 2-3 times as much as a comparable solid-stage job.

I'm in the same boat as you - I have a Fender Blues Deluxe but only because I play a few shows a year with my band; the rest of the time, it's a place to rest my beers. If I try to get a good sound of out it in my apartment, my neighbors will call the cops, and if I try to play it at an apartment-appropriate volume, it sounds terrible because the volume's on, like, .3 out of 10. It's kind of a bummer that I have this sweet amp that's being wasted about 360 days a year.

That said, my crappy little $80, 15-watt Vox Pathfinder suits my needs perfectly, as I can plug in and play along at a neighbor-friendly volume and still get the full tone of the amp. In fact, the only reason I'd ever get rid of it would be to upgrade to the newer version with reverb.

I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade if you're happy with it and it's versatile enough to accomodate different styles of playing.

Keep in mind that even if you got a little tube amp, in a lot of cases you'd have to turn it up in order for the sound to get dirty.

Just curious, but what kind of guitar are you pluggin in to it? A Strat?

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: July 4, 2006 06:12

Yeah I have a strat.I can't believe the sound I can get when I raise the volume,but as you said they are gonna call the cops.Basicaly I like stuff around guitars.You know equipments etc.I don't have the ability to get the best out of them,but I like them as techology,pieces of art etc.I don't have the money right now but I wonder where to invest them.To wah pedal?To a small amp so as to use it to my other home?Change the pickups?
By the way I got two questions.First I got the feeling that my low e string doesn't sound as high in volume as the others.I noticed that the last days so it's not a problem which always had.Any ideas.
Any site where I can find sounds of guitars,like fender does in her site,or sound of wah pedals,amps etc?

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: July 4, 2006 09:28

Same thing here. I'm far from being in a band. I've been looking into buying a Fender Twin, but I'm thinking, will that help? I mean, NEIGHBOURS!! But I want that sound only the Fender Twin's can get you.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 4, 2006 16:09

A Fender Twin and Neighbours don't match unless you have some 100 acres of space between 'em.

How about checking out these 5 Watts Epiphone Valve amps
[www.guitarplayer.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1199
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home