Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Radiohead
Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: June 30, 2006 21:41

This thread is an attempt to give those who are fans of the Rolling Stones and Radiohead an excuse to come out of the closet and chat . . . even compare the two bands.

I saw Radiohead at the Greek Theater in L.A. last night. Like the Stones, they played two hours. Like the Stones, they played 20-plus songs (23, actually). Like the Stones, they left their audience satisfied.

Unlike the Stones, more than a third of the show was devoted to not only new material, but songs that have not even been released yet! These songs were being heard for the first time by most of the people in the audience. Unlike the Stones, the selections were quite varied from other recent performances. Unlike the Stones, Radiohead seemed to not feel compelled to play the "warhorses" in their canon. Their most popular album, OK Computer, was represented by only two songs.

No one sat down during the show. No one bolted to the bathroom when a slow or unfamiliar song popped up in the set.

I love the Stones, too. But I wish that they would surprise their audiences more than they do, and take more chances in concert.

Re: OT: Radiohead
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 30, 2006 21:44

I can't stand Radiohead ... nothing but a lot of noise with vocals that are either whiny or sound like yodeling.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 30, 2006 21:57

I think I read somewhere that Tom Yorke was quitting the band. It was in the past few days. I'll see if I can find it.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 30, 2006 22:04

Here's the link. Sounds like they worked through it. I only read the headline the other day.

[www.femalefirst.co.uk]

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: June 30, 2006 22:05

CindyC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I read somewhere that Tom Yorke was
> quitting the band. It was in the past few days.
> I'll see if I can find it.

Like all Europeans, he's depressed that the Stones have cancelled so many concerts in his part of the world, so depressed that he's breaking up his band.

Date: June 30, 2006 22:07

Thom Yorke has an album coming out in early July (reviewed in the current edition of Rolling Stone). The band is not breaking up; they are previewing new material on this tour that will be used for the next Radiohead album. They are not currently signed to a label, however, and are deciding what makes sense for them.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: June 30, 2006 22:12

OK Computer is an fantastic album. In fact one of the best in that decade (90'). Reminds me a bit of King Crimson.

Date: June 30, 2006 22:18

Thommie Wrote:
> OK Computer is an fantastic album. In fact one of
> the best in that decade (90'). Reminds me a bit of
> King Crimson.

That may explain it - I've never liked King Crimson either. Oh well, to each his own.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: June 30, 2006 22:31

Monkeylad, I was at the show last night as well, but I need a ticket for tonight. It was actually 24 songs that were played.

Thom Yorke is definitely not leaving the band last night. A friend and I were able to actually talk with Thom after the show and got a few albums signed. One thing we asked him is if they were going to return to L.A. once the new album is released and he said jokingly "If they'll have us." He said they would play a larger venue and we mentioned we had seen them last tour at the Hollywood Bowl. He thought it was still under renovation, but we told him the remodelling was complete. When I told Thom it was a good show, he said "No it wasn't", so I guess he felt the L.A. crowd was maybe not up to standards set in other cities.

Date: June 30, 2006 22:51

Thanks for the info, Halup. I'd probably turn to mush if I attempted to have a conversation with Thom.

Do you count the prelude before Everything in its Right Place as a separate song? A friend and I are wondering about whether it should be counted.

Another friend scored two tickets from the Greek box office on Thursday. He waited in line most of the day, bought two tickets, and then resold one at face-value after he was not able to get a babysitter for his two kids (meaning that his wife had to miss the show). If you are able to check out what is happening at the box office right now, it might be worth a shot.

I'll be at tonight's show, thankfully.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: June 30, 2006 22:58

The prelude before Everything In Its Right Place is a separate song called Follow Me Around, which is a rarely played, never released song. Some people near me got real excited when it started.

That was the second time I had met Thom, as I met him after the first night at Hollywood Bowl in 2003 and pretty easy to talk with. I met all 5 guys in 2003 and have a couple fully signed albums.

Unfortunately, I can't be at the Greek very early today, so I most likely will have to buy off a scalper, as I doubt there will be enough released tickets to meet the demand. I looked at the San Diego setlists and there were 15 songs different between them, so tonight should be a radically different show than last night. SD got 38 different songs over the 2 nights.

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: June 30, 2006 22:59

Monkeylad Wrote:
> >
> Unlike the Stones, more than a third of the show
> was devoted to not only new material, but songs
> that have not even been released yet! These songs
> were being heard for the first time by most of the
> people in the audience. Unlike the Stones, the
> selections were quite varied from other recent
> performances. Unlike the Stones, Radiohead seemed
> to not feel compelled to play the "warhorses" in
> their canon. Their most popular album, OK
> Computer, was represented by only two songs.
>
> No one sat down during the show. No one bolted to
> the bathroom when a slow or unfamiliar song popped
> up in the set.
>
> I love the Stones, too. But I wish that they would
> surprise their audiences more than they do, and
> take more chances in concert.

Stones did a lot of that in the early days. If Radiohead do the same thing they do now till the end of their carrier I would be impressed. I still think Bends are better than OK Computer.

Date: June 30, 2006 23:07

Thommie Wrote:
> OK Computer is an fantastic album. In fact one of
> the best in that decade (90'). Reminds me a bit of
> King Crimson.

I think Bends are better than OK Computer and I think Radioheads are one of the greatest band today. But how on earth could you compare Radiohead with King Crimson. King Crimson are a fantastic progrock-band. Radiohead are a melancolic pop/rock-band. I`m kind of curious of what similarity you see between those bands.

Date: June 30, 2006 23:29

King Crimson changed members and style a lots of times. If you listen to "A wake of poseidon" or "Islands" you'll find melancolic songs.
And you'll find messy songs on OK Computer and for instance the Bruford-Wetton line.
Well, I see points of contact between them. But if you don't - I can't say I'm right and you're wrong. It's a matter of personal ways of listening.

Date: June 30, 2006 23:39

Thommie Wrote:
> King Crimson changed members and style a lots of
> times. If you listen to "A wake of poseidon" or
> "Islands" you'll find melancolic songs.
> And you'll find messy songs on OK Computer and for
> instance the Bruford-Wetton line.
> Well, I see points of contact between them. But if
> you don't - I can't say I'm right and you're
> wrong. It's a matter of personal ways of
> listening.

I was curious, now I have to listen to those albumssmiling smiley

Date: July 1, 2006 00:32

you're welcome, Mr Tussler.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 1, 2006 09:12

Radiohead is fantastic. But it's a whole different ballgame where the music is concerned.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 1, 2006 12:30

I have seen them live, in may 2006 actually. Great band.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 1, 2006 12:35

I heard many good things about OK Computer, The Bends, My Iron Lung and those records. I even heard Amnesiac and Kid A. Let me tell you: Every time I was bored to tears, and half the time I fell asleep. OK Computer especially was very boring. I heard it many times to give it a chance, but it was ZZZZZZZZZ after 15 minutes.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: July 1, 2006 17:45

OK Computer is a fantastic record. The Bends is very good but maybe a bit overrated by those who generally like a more traditional rock sound and have a hard time with OK Computer. Pablo Honey sucks. Kid A is hard to listen to-- a bit too left field. Amnesiac is good, and Hail to the Thief is actually really good, maybe unfairly trashed by some.

Date: July 1, 2006 22:30

Over two L.A. shows this week, Radiohead played 10 new songs that have never been released (and one older song that has never been released). It will be fascinating to see which of these songs land on a future Radiohead album, and how they will evolve between now and then. Each Radiohead album is distinct from all of the others, and these new songs defy categorization.

I guess the closest Stones analogy would be how Cherry Oh Baby was performed in Madison Square Garden a year before Black and Blue was released . . . or how some Sticky Fingers songs (Brown Sugar, You Gotta Move and Dead Flowers) were performed in Europe in 1970, a year ahead of their release, and in the U.S. tour in 1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-01 22:38 by Monkeylad.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: July 1, 2006 22:41

Ok Computer is the best non-Stones record ever made.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 1, 2006 22:55

tussler Wrote:
> Radiohead are a melancolic pop/rock-band

u obviously haven't heard much Radiohead mate!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: July 1, 2006 22:57

Our bodies floating down the muddy river.....how can you not love their lyrics!!

Date: July 1, 2006 22:59

I won't argue with you, Potted Shrimp. I try to avoid annointing albums with absolute titles, but OK Computer is a masterpiece.

And if OK Computer is one of the best albums, Radiohead's followup Kid A is one of the boldest. It was so different from its predecessor, and different from anything else that was out there at the time.

Date: July 2, 2006 00:04

tussler Wrote:
> King Crimson are a
> fantastic progrock-band.

'Prog rock' and 'fantastic' dont mix.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 2, 2006 00:06

I never got into the post-OK Computer stuff, but The Bends and OKC . . . just two stunning records. I was lucky enough to see them a bunch (including some club shows) during that period ('95-'98) and some of those gigs rank pretty damn close the the best Stones shows I've ever seen.

Considering how much praise they got for blowing themselves up and expanding their sound with Kid A & Insomniac, I always thought they never got enough credit for their take on standard 4-minute rock songs. They managed to sound pretty original in what is a very hard format to do so.

Their next album is supposed to be kind of a return to traditional rock arrangements - what they do with it should be pretty interesting.

Date: July 2, 2006 00:08

JuanTCB Wrote:
> Insomniac,

*slaps head* Insomniac!! That's what it is. . . I knew I shouldnt post when drunk from pre Canada Day festivities...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home