Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Ya-Ya's: I'm In Heaven ;^)
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 12, 2009 00:44

I just listened to second and third discs and they're bloody awesome!
the main - original - Ya-Ya's disc seems not touched at all and not improved,
it's still only the best live album in the world...
however, now we've got 5 additional songs and supports.

second disc, with two acoustic blues songs (Prodigal Son and You Gotta Move) and amplified full band material (Under My Thumb/I'm Free and Satisfaction) is only too short. where the @#$%& is Gimme Shelter? and many more songs? ;^) however... the ones that are present are prime stuff. all in great quality and really groovy, especially Under My Thumb - rhythm guitar on this one is perfect. acoustic tracks really fit the concert atmosphere great and thank God for high-quality You Gotta Move. oh, and Taylor's work on Satisfaction is just unbelievable, wonderful solo! I only thought Mick's coda to the song will be longer (the one from Gimme Shelter movie was cool).

BB King... five amazing songs. long time since I heard somebody play the blues so wild, really ;^) How Blue Can You Get and Please Accept My Love are absolute highlights of the entire show, not only BB's performance. his guitar playing is beyond words: Lucille screams and moans and whispers, the mood and fast changes are what made it so cool. I don't care too much for Ike & Tina though, however I feel it will grow on me soon. "Son Of A Preacher Man" is one of my favorite all-time songs and Tina can sing. her set isn't bad at all but the warmth and craziness of BB's time just can't go. he plays in his own style, the horn section is too loud of course but somehow it does not ruin the show, the interplay between horn section and BB's guitar is... well, I'm running out of positive words, really.

I'm terribly excited and I love everything about this release... except two things:
1) IT'S TOO SHORT
2) IT'S WAAAAY TOO SHORT and ALL OVER MUCH TOO QUICKLY ;^)

Re: New Ya-Ya's: I'm In Heaven ;^)
Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 12, 2009 01:02

I'm eagerly awaiting my Ya-Ya's package in the post. It's been 10 days now, so hopefully today. 1-2 weeks seems to be a common shipping time in this situation. I too feel I'll think it's way to short once i'm through with the 5 extra RS tracks and DVD, and Jodhi Klein's bullsh*t excuse isn't going to placate me. However, your enthusiasm for the BB King set has me more and more interested it that.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 12, 2009 08:21

I'm loving it too. The five extra songs are worth the price of the box alone. I agree with the review of BB Kings set by Amused. I also like Tinas performance, but yeah I suppose it's not as strong as BB. Even though the DVD is short I'm very satisfied. Now I'm waiting on the other box with the LPs like some other folks on this board. Glad I mistakenly ordered the cheaper box as I was jumping through my skin with anticipation.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 13, 2009 03:52

I'm sure some Beatlemaniac will know the answer to this one: when exactly was ABBEY ROAD released? I know it was the Fall of '69; I'm just surprised that Ike & Tina were already covering "Come Together", a then-brand-new song. It must've been new to their setlist right?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 13, 2009 04:03

Glam Descendant
I'm sure some Beatlemaniac will know the answer to this one: when exactly was ABBEY ROAD released? I know it was the Fall of '69; I'm just surprised that Ike & Tina were already covering "Come Together", a then-brand-new song. It must've been new to their setlist right?

Abbey Road had a UK release date of 26 Sept. The U.S. release date was five weeks later, on Nov. 1. Come Together was also released as a single at the same time the LP came out in the states.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 13, 2009 04:09

So to the US audience it had just been released a few weeks prior to the MSG show. That's pretty cool.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 14, 2009 01:25

Glam Descendant
So to the US audience it had just been released a few weeks prior to the MSG show. That's pretty cool.

Beatles music was always absorbed into the culture almost instantaneously. Hendrix famously performed the title track from Sgt Pepper within a couple days of the album's release. And now that I think of it, when I saw King Crimson in 1995, they played Free As A Bird, the very same week it came out on Anthology 1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-14 01:36 by tatters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home