Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The most unforgettable moment with the Stones
Posted by: wesley ()
Date: June 8, 2006 19:09

There are so many good options, for example

In a record shop
My first Stones record was Hot rocks. After listening it I went to the same store and put Sticky Fingers, Exile, Their Satanic, More Hot Rocks, Goats Head soup, IORR and Beggars B on the desk. The guy behind the desk asked if I wanted his opinion of which of these should I buy. “No” I said, “I want them all”. Should have seen his face..

Very late night after bars are closed
Two friends of mine stayed for that night with me. Someone of us (might have been me.. can´t remember for sure..) decided have a video party (VHS, late 80`s). Only capable one was from Stones tour 1981. After playing it three times (..as far as I remember..) we noticed it was already 10 o´clock a.m. It took quite a while my neighbours started saying hello again.

Live
First gig was Urban Jungle Tour 1990: everything so exciting, new, big. Highlights all the time, perhaps the best memories from the superb lightshow within 2000 Light Years, huge tower in Sympathy..
Voodoo gig presented a couple of good new songs (I go wild and You got me rocking)
Bridges was fine too, my highlights were surprisingly good Out of control and Gimme Shelter.
40 Licks offered a brilliant set list, and on B-stage very raw versions of Respectable and my favourite Stones song Street FM.

Not so hard for me to decide that the first Stones gig has been the most unforgettable moment in my history! Is it the same with you?

Wesley

Re: The most unforgettable moment with the Stones
Posted by: tussler ()
Date: June 8, 2006 19:46

I see much of my self in this post. And that`s make me feel happy. Thanks. Never hide good memories, it`s treasures.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 8, 2006 19:54

tussler Wrote:
> Never hide good
> memories, it`s treasures.

You are so right tussler. As a matter of fact, I have a rock'n'roll diary where I write about every rock'n'roll trip I've done. Concert reviews, not only from gigs I have attended, but also played myself. I've never read it, but guess I will enjoy it when I grow old. I can't allow my rock'n'roll memories to fade away.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: June 8, 2006 19:54

At my first show, I was 11. I don't remember all that much of it. What I do remember:

Being a bit amazed by the huge load of people stuffed in the stadium.

Around the stadium, you know, with the stands and stuff, was funny too.

I remember going to take a leak(hey, it was Keith's set, I was 11, don't give me crap) but then seeing a guy, who had apperantely had more than one or two beers, looking at my Johnson in a very disturbing way.

Getting beer thrown on my feet.

Seeing Sympathy For The Devil.

That's about all. Don't know why I don't remember more. It's all a bit of a blur.

But good memories just the same!!

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: June 8, 2006 19:58

Well, first time I ever saw them live. Being front row and having Keith jump in the pit between the stage and the audience and seeing him at about 30 cm. from me was awesome.

Ending up on the jumbotron during Honky Tonk and Brown Sugar in Montpellier in '95.

Date: June 8, 2006 20:09

During the first Stones gig, which happened in Gothenburg I was in a very front row. The crowd started to move very wild with Mick performing Brown Sugar, me too with the others. Suddenly I noticed my summer shoes were gone, and gone for ever..
The gig was on a shipyard, a ferry took us to the town- walking there and a few kilometres to my hotel without shoes.. well, you can imagine the colour of my feet!

W

Date: June 8, 2006 20:24

The Worst. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tussler Wrote:
> > Never hide good
> > memories, it`s treasures.
>
> You are so right tussler. As a matter of fact, I
> have a rock'n'roll diary where I write about every
> rock'n'roll trip I've done. Concert reviews, not
> only from gigs I have attended, but also played
> myself. I've never read it, but guess I will enjoy
> it when I grow old. I can't allow my rock'n'roll
> memories to fade away.

My personal good memories- other than with the Stones are as follows:
Guns´n´Roses 1992
U2 1997
Mike Oldfield 1998
John Mayall 2000
Red Hot CP 2001
Neil Young 2002

to mention a few.. but the best will always be the Stones!!

Posted by: Keith'sgirl ()
Date: June 8, 2006 20:28

Seeing Keith and the Winos in a small venue in Minneapolis. He kept taking off articles of clothing througout the show because it was hot in the theater. He said he was doing the "slow strip." Love you, Keith.

Date: June 8, 2006 20:33

Jealous for you Keith`sgirl - not for the stripping episope, but seeing Keith`s solo project..

I havent even seen Stones in Arena or theater show..

W

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 8, 2006 20:36

Mine would be the first time I got through on Rockline and was going to talk to Keith. I had to wait on the phone for an hour, terrified that I was somehow going to get cut off.

When he finally came on and said "Hi Cindy, how are you". I almost died.
It took all of my composure not to scream my head off (I was still in my early 20's)
I had to move the receiver away from my mouth because my heart was beating so fast I thought you could hear it through the phone.

It was UNBELIEVABLY exciting. I was high for a week off that one.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 8, 2006 20:37

Wow Cindy! What is Rockline? A radio-show? What did you talk about? Come on!

Date: June 8, 2006 20:40

.. pale answer to that is I won Main Offender through a competition on local radio station many years ago..

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: June 8, 2006 20:41

Seeing them live.

Date: June 8, 2006 20:43

Yeah, it was a weekly show where you could call up and talk to whoever was the guest for the night.

You called up before the show went on and they would screen your question. So I called and let it ring for an hour before they finally picked up, when I told him my question he said they already had that one from someone else, so he put me on hold to think of another one. I was completely panicked! I couldn't think of anything! Finally I thought of one, but it was a stupid question, but the guy liked it.

I asked him about how Ronnie had just started selling his artwork and I believe had just published "The Works". I said that I know he went to art school, is that something he would ever consider doing.

He said "Bob Dylan gave me a pencil the other day, so he's trying to get me back into it, but it's like what do I do, play guitar or draw... so I'd rather play guitar".

It was pretty awesome to hear his voice on the other end of that phone I tell ya! Magical moment for me!

Date: June 8, 2006 20:54

Now, I believe that you talked to Ronnie Wood....why would Bob Dylan give Keith a pencil? He should have given him a cigarette, not a pencil....

Date: June 8, 2006 20:56

Ahem.....are you suggesting I can't tell Keith's voice from Ronnie's??

You probably weren't even born when it happened!!!

Date: June 8, 2006 21:03

CindyC Wrote:
> You probably weren't even born when it happened!!!

That's a good argument!

Date: June 8, 2006 21:10

Great wisdom of you Erik, never argue with a lady

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: June 8, 2006 21:12

When they hit the stage to the opening licks of Brown Sugar... for the 72 Sticky Fingers/Exile tour.

Probably the single-most attention getting entrance I've ever seen at a rock gig.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Date: June 8, 2006 21:17

Because of the new era of doing their own music? Raw stringing guitars? Or some visual entrance thing?

Just curious..

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 9, 2006 01:37

CindyC Wrote:
> Mine would be the first time I got through on
> Rockline and was going to talk to Keith. I had to
> wait on the phone for an hour, terrified that I
> was somehow going to get cut off.
>
> When he finally came on and said "Hi Cindy, how
> are you". I almost died.
> It took all of my composure not to scream my head
> off (I was still in my early 20's)
> I had to move the receiver away from my mouth
> because my heart was beating so fast I thought you
> could hear it through the phone.
>
> It was UNBELIEVABLY exciting. I was high for a
> week off that one.

I think I have a tape of that show somewhere....nice story

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: June 9, 2006 02:48

The first time I saw Stones was the urban jungle-concert at Valle Hovin, Oslo. I had already a lot of albums, but it was something. When I saw them in 95 and 98 I got a tremendoes felling and I believe that feeling is the closest I have felt to heaven ( and the closest I ever will get to heavensmiling smiley). In 2003 I didn`t got the best ticket so the feeling was not so strong as the two last concerts, but of course it was two increible good hours of my life. I got good tickets to the one concert I`m going to this year unfortunely the Guthenburg is postponed so I have to wait for a while.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: June 9, 2006 03:21

CindyC - what an incredible experience that must've been... **swoon**!!! I think I would probably faint if I heard that familiar voice on the other end of my phone! smiling smiley

Posted by: carson99 ()
Date: June 9, 2006 06:47

Thirty four years ago tomorrow - the first time I saw the Stones was at the Hollywood Palladium ... after waiting for them to hit the stage for what seemed like an eternity, the jolt of electricity that went through the crowd when they went into the opening chords of Brown Sugar was beyond description ... that energy lasted for the entire show - that was the night I got hooked

Posted by: valerie masters ()
Date: June 9, 2006 06:54

a couple come to mind, the first was in Toronto september 89 when they played
ruby tuesday, maybe cause I was in love back then and my girlfriend Diane was
with me, I just got this feeling that I was floating above the crowd, it was a
mind boggling incredible feeling of total warmth that came over me,I had goose
bumps the size of jelly beans!

the day I lost my virginity in grade 7, I put on a record to lighten the mood
and the awkwardness, it was none other than get yer ya yas out! because of the
great pounding rythym and total power of that, well I can tell you that is when
I learned to work my mojo! best live @#$%& rock and roll record bar none!
GO GO GO LITTLE QUEENIE!

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: June 9, 2006 08:10

December 5th 1965

That was the date that I first saw the Rolling Stones. This was before they became the STONES. They were still in the wake of the Mop Tops. This was their 3rd or 4th playing L.A. This was my first rock and roll show. The show was in doubt because Keith had been almost electrocuted a few days before. But on this Sunday they played and it was white hot. The place was packed and when they came on, what seemed a thousand flash cameras went off, man it was blinding. i couldn't get over how much the Jag looked like Don Knotts. I couldn't get over how much Keith looked like the devil with his pointed ears, Brian was cool as a cucumber dressed in all green from head to toe. Bill and Charlie were Bill and Charlie. I remember that everything seemed sped up and it was really intense. This wasn't a bunch of crooners from Philly, this was the real rock and roll. By the end of the show the stage was litterd with bras and panties. Also some girl threw up a phone book and it bounced off Brian's guitar. He picked it up.
They have been great since then of course but this show was like your first love, you never forget that.

Posted by: René ()
Date: June 9, 2006 09:07

Met & talked with all four of them backstage in Nijmegen 1995. It was unreal to hear those familiar voices we all know so well talkin with you. Altough it was just for a couple of minutes, it was a amazing experience.

But the most unforgettable moment for me was beeing at the Paradiso gig in 1995, front stage, Mick singing just a few centimeters away from me, he was so close he stepped on my fingers two times, getting drinks & smokes from Ron, it was just amazing.

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: June 9, 2006 11:19

hi cindyc,
amazing!
i can perfectly understand your feelings while hangin on the phone.
you are so lucky - i recall you met keith personally, you posted
a photo of that incident.
my closest contact to the old twanghound was in a stadium, but
beeing very close to the stage.
it stole my breath.
it was so strange to see him "real live" after so many years
just looking at record-covers, books or videos.
it was 1990 in hannover.
unforgettable.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: June 9, 2006 11:38

For me it was the Vredenburg-concert. The show itself, for sure. But also that day in the queue. This line was our own world, which became smaller and smaller during the day. I was there with a friend of mine, we got number 62 & 63, somewhere around that number, when we arived around 10.00. Everything was very relaxed in these first hours. During the morning we dedided to score some coffee, went to the shopping mall, bought all the cheep coffeecans we could find at Blokker, went to a coffee (the drink)-shop, explained the situation and got 4 liters of coffee for 5 euro's, including cups, sugar and milk. Made a lot of people happy with it, and we figured we would need that later on the day. Later on a lot of people went to the mall and bought themselves cheap fishermanseets, only 10 euro's at V&D (they were all thrown over the fence when the first movement was noticed near the doors).
At the end of the afternoon tension got higher and higher. Security started placing black screens alongside the row, our world became even smaller and more and more disconnected from reality. But we didn't have anything to eat. So before the screens had closed everything up I decided we should get some pizza's. So we collected money, and on the promise that people would help me back to my place in line I went back to the shopping mall to find a pizzeria. At that moment I noticed how this queuing had messed up my mind. Paranoïa all over me, everybody in that mall seemed to be looking for a chance to snatch my wristbands... I really was afraid, also to damage it getting stuck behing something. I got to know myself in a very different way that moment. These pizza's seemed to need an hour in the oven, but finally I got them and returned to my place. Not a really big problem, these numbers we got upon arrival helped a lot.
When the doors opened everybody started pushing, but that was controlled very quickly by security. They just explained that everybody who was caught pushing or pulling would be picked out and replaced at the end of the line. The only relevant argument of course, at that moment. Thanks to the people around us, who we drank coffee with, and shared pizza's, we got into the theatre in the first or second group, and found a nice place just left of the centre, two meters from the stage. Well, to cut it short, it was the perfect spot to witness of some of the most wonderful things I will probably ever see in my life: the way Ronnie played slide on No Expectations, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Mick on Worried, and the group-hug in front of Charlie. Not to forget: Ronnie on banana.

Jelle

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-09 11:42 by sluissie.

Date: June 9, 2006 12:44

The best stories are from real life!

I think the author of next Stones book should include thes great stories within it!!

W

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home