Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who do You Prefer on Acoustic - Page or Richards
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 6, 2006 13:23

For me I have always loved Keith's work on acoustic with his style and his use of open tunings.Page I think used open tunings way back before keith and his acoustic style and arrangements he came up with are brilliant to.

If you get a chance watch the DVD How The West was won and watch the Earls Court
acoustic footage - page is fantastic and John Paul Jones plays a great mandlin.

Re: Who do You Prefer on Acoustic - Page or Richards
Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: June 6, 2006 13:46

Page's acoustic playing is way superior to Keith's, even though our favourite tree-climbers is a great acoustic player too.
I love JP's use of open tunings, his arrangements, but don't forget he also had JPJ on his side helping out with mandolins and other acoustic instruments.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 6, 2006 13:57

Page was brilliant on all those "celtic" tunings. Zep III especially is full of them. Then he'd play on 12 string on top of that and get this incredible sound. He also found some pretty tunings like on the accousiv piece from Graffiti. All these things in his favor but I still prefer Keith by lightyears. Keith is much sparser and precise. Eventhough, especially on boot outtakes Keith can strum up quite a rage, once he gets down to recording he usually knows exactly what hewants to say and does it in his own minimal style. I so much like him over Page on accpoustic and electric. As much as a wiz that Page is, I can not stand his soloing.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: June 6, 2006 13:57

For good musicians, the secret IMO is not to reveal too much too fast. This is what KR is really good at. JP is a great avoustic player - he's not at all a virtuouso either, and that is important for him to know when he presents his music.

Hard to compare - I prefer both smiling smiley

For some top notch acoustic guitar playing/songwriting with various tunings, check out Nick Drake - my favourite acoustic player!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 6, 2006 15:18

Page

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 6, 2006 15:43

When folks start commenting on KRs merits as a guitar player, I always turn it around by asking "..who's a more EFFECTIVE guitar player ? "
He may not be the most technically impressive or flash player... but what he plays has impact and sticks.

Page is a great player of a different type...particularly on acoustic, where his roots lie more in that Bert Jansch blend of blues and English folk music.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 6, 2006 18:55

I'm with you on Nick Drake, Dandelion. I've been listening to "Five Leaves Left" alot lately. Great stuff. Regarding the Page and Keith, Page is by far better technically but Keith main strength is sheer heart, which has always been what makes his playing so great to my ears.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 6, 2006 19:05

Stephen Stills

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 6, 2006 19:10

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-09 03:02 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 6, 2006 19:53

I would say that Page is a great technician coupled with a nice melodist. Taylor could easily compete with him as to the first side, Keith surpasses him in terms of melodies and with his touching the strings ( very different with his electric play ).

Posted by: Manhattan ()
Date: June 6, 2006 20:07

Mick Taylor.MEZ

and Ay ay baby it hurts

Posted by: palmkeith ()
Date: June 6, 2006 23:59

Keith always plays with a feeling no one to compare with. you it is coming from his heart.

Posted by: eric ()
Date: June 7, 2006 00:13

Its hard to compare... most of the time the Stones are in 4/4 timing.... Page can start in 4/4 and the song goes to 7/8 time. Zep were masters at timing. I love Keiths accoustic work... You got the silver is my fav...However I have to go with Page... The Rain Song from Unledded is amazing as it Thats the Way.....as for Page's solo's I love the Long ones. BUT again I refer to Unledded and SINCE I'VE BEEN LOVING YOU... the electric solo in that and the loops Page does... sorry Keith cant touch that. BESIDES.. the Stones guitars really aren't much on there own... its all about the weaving for them and that is something NO band can do. I don't think Keith would make a great solo guitarist in a band... good but not great. Again- it comes down to style... hard to compare and answer this question when one band has 2 guitarist and one has one.... but maybe that answers the question.... Page.

Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: June 7, 2006 03:42

Page hardly comes close to Keith on an acoustic. Acoustic playing is all about feeling- Page plays like a robot. There's no way Page could play some of the things Keith played on Exile on Main Street. I don't even wanna think of him stumbling his way through Sweet Virginia.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 7, 2006 04:19

Obviously since I'm on here - Keith. That said, I love Page and what he does. Just like the King Of Raunch a little better.

Date: June 7, 2006 04:22

Now come on. If your gonna pic a song pic more than a 12 bar blues song. Sweet Virgina is a great song but hardly a song that a beginner couldnt master. Its the harp that adds the feel to this song and makes it great not the guitar.ANGIE.... now your talking... thats a great guitar song with a great arrangement. However, its no Rain Song but pretty close

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 7, 2006 04:29

True - "Sweet Virginia" just has 4 (5 if you count D7) chords, but it's all about the feel.

Date: June 7, 2006 04:35

Still a great song, just not one to use in a comparison. the feel is great... mick makes it for me with the harp.

Date: June 7, 2006 04:44

I'm not talking about the chords themselves. The rhythym. Page can play all the notes under the sun, but he can't put rhytym behind them. Maybe Sweet Virginia wasn't the best example- but it was the first to pop into my head.

Street Fighting Man was played on an acoustic. It sounds so simple to play, but the strumming is so complex- Page would @#$%& it up, because he doesn't have that certain thing Keith does, that feeling that is essential to acoustic playing.

Acoustic guitars aren't for show offs.

Date: June 7, 2006 04:53

I prefer Keith by a mile, but in all fairness to Page one simply can not say "he plays like a robot".

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: June 7, 2006 05:11

We'll IORR is probably not the most impartial place to ask this question. My answer is "Jimmy Page was quite the rage. I did not know the reason why"

A better comparison would be Keef vs Willie Nelson. Willie has tons of heart, is not a "great" technical player but has a feel that is very difficult to duplicate.

I woudl say Keef vs. Willie is a tie.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Date: June 7, 2006 05:17

Isn't Willie a totally cool unique soloist on guitar? I love it when he takes a solo on that accoustic.
He is the only player I have mistaken for Keith at times. Heard Willie playing an unknown tune and thoght it might be an outtake of Keith.

Date: June 7, 2006 05:22

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't Willie a totally cool unique soloist on
> guitar? I love it when he takes a solo on that
> accoustic.
> He is the only player I have mistaken for Keith at
> times. Heard Willie playing an unknown tune and
> thoght it might be an outtake of Keith.
>
> "...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful
> mind."

AGREED.

I think when you combine singing/ guitar playing/ heart- Keef and Willie are in a class by themselves.

I am waiting for an "original" Keef and Willie album. Keef said he would do it if Willie asked him. If they locked themselves up for a month or two they would produce something that would last forever.

Date: June 7, 2006 05:24

I think he does play like a robot. Zeppelin songs change time signatures so much because Page can't keep the rhythm like Keith does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-07 05:26 by La Mano Nera.

Date: June 7, 2006 05:30

THere is a great video of Wille & Keef (From Willie & FRiends) where they do Dead Flowers. I saw it on YouTube a while back but can't find it anymore.

Does anyone have it or the link????

Date: June 7, 2006 05:30

THere is a great video of Wille & Keef (From Willie & FRiends) where they do Dead Flowers. I saw it on YouTube a while back but can't find it anymore.

Does anyone have it or the link????

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 7, 2006 06:44

With due respect to both of them, Pete Townshend is the rockingest acoustic player who ever lived.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 7, 2006 08:16

These are my top 3 in order:

Jerry Garcia
Jimmy Page
Keith Richards

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 7, 2006 10:31

Now I would like to blast Gallows Pole at maximum volume and see what happens ...

Page no rythm, come on!

C

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 7, 2006 10:56

Both are wonderful on acoustic. I'd probably plug for Keith, but I'm sure Pagey is more technically gifted. In all truthfullness, I'm not a huge fan of Zep's acoustic numbers. Gallows Pole, etc.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home