Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Johnny Winter
Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: April 9, 2006 16:27

JW is playing here in two weeks. (1000 seat club) Heaven't seen him in about 20 years. Anyone out there know if he is still worth seeing.

Thanks.

Re: OT Johnny Winter
Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 9, 2006 17:30

I saw him about 5 years ago, he could not walk onstage without help, he had to sit down, only played slide, his singing could not be heard. He was in such a bad shape, that I thougth he was close to dying. Don´t go and see him, it´s a tragedy and a freakshow, and whoever forces him to go on the road should be ashamed.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: April 9, 2006 18:18

Wow- thanks for the tip.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 9, 2006 18:34

Winter is always a freakshow. But I heard from someone he did have to be carried on stage but he still plays like in the ol' days.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 9, 2006 18:44

What is wrong with Johnny?
What kind of disease?
I hate hearing about people being sick.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 9, 2006 19:53

His playing is nowhere close to the old days, whoever claims that wasn´t there.. I saw him in the beginning of the 80:s, that was a high energy rock show, nowadays it´s only tragic.
I think it´s common among older albinos that they are vulnerable to certain diseseas, and a heroinhabit won´t help either.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 9, 2006 20:56

Here's a link with a "recent" concert review with a photo.

[www.bboogie.com]

Sadly, JW seems to be too old to rock n'roll, without any disrespect to his great carreer and discography.
Unless he's in better shape now, which I hope, considering the many dates he is supposed to play this spring/summer

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: April 9, 2006 23:43

No slide there smiling smiley

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: April 10, 2006 00:21

He was scheduled to play a show at a club here last year. He cancelled the show. They rescheduled for a month later. He then cancelled THAT show! Whatever you do don't buy advance tickets. Only buy them at the door at the night of the show. And get an autograph before or after the show as his time is surely running out quickly.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 10, 2006 03:44

Johnny!
I have seen him about ten times throught the years. My brother is also a huge fan. The last time I saw him I vowed I would not go again. Much of what has already been said. It is sad. He is ill, needs help to walk. Seems to be close to blind as well. Can barely sing. And his playing is no where near what it used to be. From what I have heard he is deep in the throughs of methadone and has had a junk habbit for years.
Autograph? Good luck! He rarely signs autographs. I got him to sign on on his tour bus back in '83, and it was tough going.

In one way I will be anxious to hear about the show! I hope he is better and I hope it is a great show. Let us know!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 10, 2006 04:32

I saw him throughout the '70's and '80's, and he was always my favorite guitar player.
That is until I saw him a few years ago.

The poor guy. He didn't need help onstage, but when it came time to change guitars, he just stood there like a mannequin while a roadie had to gently take one guitar from around his neck and carefully place on the new one. His playing was horrible, and his backup band was even worse. He looked like an AIDS victim withering away right in front of our eyes.

I felt bad for him really, it was a pathetic site and a show I wish I would have never seen.
It tainted all the grand memories I have of Johnny during the heyday.

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: April 10, 2006 12:38

On my first trip to Vegas around 6 years ago, we saw Johnny at the Hardrock and man, when the curtain went up you could hear a pin drop. It looked as if someone pulled him out of a pine box and propped him up. Guys on the side of the stage appeared ready to run out and catch him any second. He played this horrible little white thing and for one number they brought out his Firebird and like someone said earlier, he needed help with it. The sound wasn't too bad but the shock of seeing him in this "totally heroin chic" look was almost too much. I can't believe he is still on the road. Be prepared, be very prepared, poor bastard.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 10, 2006 18:05

he actually put out a new album a year ago or so - "I'm a Bluesman" - not horrible, but nowhere near the calliber of his former greatness. It is sad - he had hip replacements a few years ago and that was the start of a downward spiral that continues. I've almost gone to see him a few times in recent years out of sheer respect, but I couldn't bring myself to it.

In his heyday - he was UNTOUCHABLE. That's the way I prefer to remember Johnny.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: April 10, 2006 21:26

Bought the "Second Winter" original LP this fall... Can't believe how underrated JW is! Stuff happening in the playing all the time, and always perfect timing in the notes (no rush)!

Date: April 10, 2006 21:27

Second Winter! The 3-sided LP! That was classic stuff...not his best, but real good.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 10, 2006 21:48

I heard somewhere that he had Parkinson's.

What a shame . . .

Date: April 10, 2006 21:49

no - it's not Parkinson's (pretty sure of that)

Date: April 10, 2006 22:28

What would say his best is then, T&A?
I don't know much of his other recordings (save for his cover hit singles).

Date: April 10, 2006 22:42

I think his CBS debut (just called "Johnny Winter") is better than 2nd Winter. For his more "rock'n'roll" albums I would probably go with Alive & Well (it's not a live album - just a statement disputing rumors of his demise)...has a coupla great Stones covers. For the latter, blues-mostly era - my faves are:

Nothin' but the Blues
Raisin' Cain
Guitar Slinger (Alligator debut)

(the first two above might be hard to find - I think they are OOP on CD).

....lotsa great live recordings of his floating around, too. DaD has been particularly Johnny Winter-friendly the past few months if you're into BitTorrent....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-10 23:19 by T&A.

Date: April 10, 2006 23:14

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home