Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Fleetwood Mac,MEN Arena,Manchester,Tuesday 27th October 2009
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 28, 2009 18:20

Hello,

My first time seeing this,or any version of the mighty Mac:this time around Christine McVie is absent,I know not why.It was a slow-starter,at least in terms of crowd reaction was concerned.It was a different story down at the front of the stage,where there was quite a throng of excited punters.Strange move by the security staff just before show-time:they went along the front row of seats and advised people that they were welcome to move up and stand right by the edge of the stage...as close as you like.
This was fine if you were up for standing for the two-and-a-half hour show,but I felt for the folks who were unable to stand for whatever reason and thus had their view blocked at times by oblivious fans in front.Right up until ten minutes before the off,these poor sods believed they had a great view,and then...wham!

Up on stage the band (Mick Fleetwood,John McVie,Stevie Nicks,Lindsey Buckingham augmented by 3 ladies on bvs,a keyboard-player and guitarist plus a percussionist who was hidden out-of-sight...almost!) were into it from the word go.Their second number was the always fantastic 'Chain' which went down a storm.
As the evening passed it was apparent to this Mac-tourist that you know more of their songs than you think,quite aside form the beauties off 'Rumours'.They laid into a joyous 'Oh Well' which surprised me:it was great fun.And we got the still-bonkers 'Tusk':magic!

The other thing that was apparent was that this is Lindsey Buckingham's night!He was little short of dynamite,playing and singing like something very important depended upon it,and in between songs he was joshing and talking to the punters stage-side and geeing-up the rest of us.Otherwise John McVie was the English bass-playing stereotype i.e. he hardly said a word!
Stevie Nicks wasn't totally away with the fairies:nah,far from it to be honest but I really would have loved to have seen how Christine McVie would have changed things.Bizarrely,I don't recall anyone mentioning her name at all.Extraordinary,that.

They seemed to be enjoying the by-now rapturous crowd and ovations galore (who wouldn't though?) and the end came around after a bouncy 'Go Your Own Way':extended goodbyes included a heartfelt speech by Mick Fleetwood (he must be ten feet tall) too...if there is a next time,please bring the full gang Guv'nor.

Cheers,

Si.

Re: O/T Fleetwood Mac,MEN Arena,Manchester,Tuesday 27th October 2009
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 28, 2009 18:40

Nice pics as always Si. yes this very much is Lindsay Buckingham's band these days. Quite a talent. As for Christine,she left the band a few years ago because she didn't want to tour anymore.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 28, 2009 18:54

Thanks simon,

Good photos as always.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: October 28, 2009 18:54

Nice pics, Simon!

I'll try and get a few more up myself a bit later on today.

Sorry I didn't have time to meet up with you last night but the heavy traffic meant that we didn't arrive at the venue until seconds before show time! I'll have to get you next time instead!

Date: October 28, 2009 19:02

Hello,

Thanks Mike and SCL for that...if I could have gotten down on the arena floor we would've been looking at something quite decent...it was exquisite torture to be so near yet...!

Logie-I did a few laps of the arena concourse but had to make do with leering at some Stevie-wannabees!Next time defo.

Cheers,

Si.

Date: October 28, 2009 22:36

I had always loathed Fleetwood Mac, and just about everything they ever stood for in terms of their cossetted, pampered, LA lifestyles and easy-going FM muzac. Along with the Eagles, they were the epitome of everything that could possibly be deemed as vomit-inducing in the music biz.

So oddly enough, it was whilst standing in line for the Stones' 2003 Astoria show in London that a mate of mine advised me to buy Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" DVD, claiming that it would change my mind completely. He was right - it did. So much in fact that, I joined their fan club and scored front row tickets for three of their UK shows later that year. Eddy The Eagle (remember him?) came with me to the Birmingham gig en route to a wonderful Mick Taylor performance in Southport.

And even without Christine McVie, or her wonderful songs, I was hooked!

So what of Manchester last night? Well, it was a dreaded greatest hits setlist, but amazingly, I loved it almost as much as I did six years ago when they were my new love, so to speak. The sound was a bit ropey in parts, but it was a well-paced set which allowed each of the band members, collectively as well as individually, to show off their wares.

An enjoyable night all round, except for missing Simon!

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 29, 2009 00:52

Probably like a lot of people on here, I'm more a fan of the Peter Green era, fantastic stuff, but Buckingham can play man, and they aren't a shabby bunch of song writers, sometimes can be a bit overly easy listening for me, but can't deny they are a world class band, 'The Dance' is evidence of them still being able to perform to a high standard in their later years.

Anyone going to see them in Birmingham on 3rd November? I'm going and it'd be good to meet up with people at the bar. Especially at the NIA as you can buy 2 pint glasses there. Rockin!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 29, 2009 10:13

great photos and reviews - many thanks

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 29, 2009 11:56

Hi Simon and Logie - what cameras do you use and what settings. I've only ever once used my Canon EOS 450D at a gig - the Stones last night at O2 - and got great pix - sharp with good colour balance. But it's big and bulky and could be easily spotyted by security.
When I use a compact Lumix the shots always turn out a bit blurred or the subjects are blanched out because of harsh spotlights.

Date: October 29, 2009 13:39

Hi SD,

Not that I recommend following my handywork,but my two cameras are a Canon Ixus 850 and Panasonic FZ 28.

The only thing I would say is never use flash,use a high ISO setting,switch the camera to repeat shooting,consider turning the exposure number down a wee bit,keep your hand steady and pray.
Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: October 29, 2009 15:59

Brilliant stuff. What's that cool little guitar that Linsdsay plays?

Date: October 29, 2009 16:22

Monkeytonkman
Probably like a lot of people on here, I'm more a fan of the Peter Green era, fantastic stuff, but Buckingham can play man, and they aren't a shabby bunch of song writers, sometimes can be a bit overly easy listening for me, but can't deny they are a world class band, 'The Dance' is evidence of them still being able to perform to a high standard in their later years.

Anyone going to see them in Birmingham on 3rd November? I'm going and it'd be good to meet up with people at the bar. Especially at the NIA as you can buy 2 pint glasses there. Rockin!

Unfortuantely i cant make it for the NIA on tuesday, two pint glasses do they have plastic bottles of wine tot ake out like down the cricket?smileys with beer

I am sure it was you on the opening night of shine a light on broad street, who was up dancing.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 29, 2009 16:40

Yes, I like the early Fleetwood Mac stuff too. Sure wish Christine McVie was still with them,

Mike - formerly in Georgia, now in the sunshine state of Florida.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-29 16:41 by RSbestbandever.

Date: October 29, 2009 18:46

Odean 73

How do.

Shame you can't make it, woulda been nice to have met up with a friendly face. I live in Rugby so Brum is only down the road for me.

And yep, you are on the money. It was me rockin out at Shine a Light on Broad street. Cracking night (from what I can remember) hahaaa

Rock on brothers and sisters!

Date: October 29, 2009 19:00

Monkeytonkman
Odean 73

How do.

Shame you can't make it, woulda been nice to have met up with a friendly face. I live in Rugby so Brum is only down the road for me.

And yep, you are on the money. It was me rockin out at Shine a Light on Broad street. Cracking night (from what I can remember) hahaaa

Rock on brothers and sisters!

Have a good time, hopefully meet up for a stones gig.

Date: October 29, 2009 19:17

yes dude, that would be a beautiful thing.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: October 29, 2009 19:35

I saw them in Berlin last week and it was the same thing as described above. I really enjoyed the concert the songs......but in the end I didn't feel "oh well". Too much of an oldie thing just too much of emotion and looking back. All songs more than 20 years old...what a shame!
Hey guys pick up Christine and make a new record.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: October 29, 2009 20:24

I saw them in Glasgow a week ago. I wasn't really expecting much. I knew Christine McVie wouldnt be there,and had heard that Stevie Nicks voice was shot. But my God, what a show. A beautiful mix of rockers interspersed with Nicks "torch songs". The highlights were numerous - but Landslide and I'm so afraid were probably the two that stood out the most for me. Plus they played Storms, which is probably my favourite Mac song. One thing that struck me is what a cooking BAND they are. The instrumental ending to Im so afraid sounded like a power trio. McVie and Fleetwood are an unbelievable rhythm section - and in Buckingham....Put it this way, I walked out of the venue convinced he is the greatest guitarist I have EVER seen perform (and I've seen a few).
All in all a fantastic, emotional performance. Catch em while you can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-29 20:25 by letitloose.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 29, 2009 20:29

letitloose
I saw them in Glasgow a week ago. I wasn't really expecting much. I knew Christine McVie wouldnt be there,and had heard that Stevie Nicks voice was shot. But my God, what a show. A beautiful mix of rockers interspersed with Nicks "torch songs". The highlights were numerous - but Landslide and I'm so afraid were probably the two that stood out the most for me. Plus they played Storms, which is probably my favourite Mac song. One thing that struck me is what a cooking BAND they are. The instrumental ending to Im so afraid sounded like a power trio. McVie and Fleetwood are an unbelievable rhythm section - and in Buckingham....Put it this way, I walked out of the venue convinced he is the greatest guitarist I have EVER seen perform (and I've seen a few).
All in all a fantastic, emotional performance. Catch em while you can.
Yeah I'm So Afraid is Lindsey's tour De Force. Your right,after his haunting,great lyrics. When they get to jamming,it really is a power trio. Absolute killer song.

Date: October 29, 2009 23:34

Silver Dagger
Hi Simon and Logie - what cameras do you use and what settings. I've only ever once used my Canon EOS 450D at a gig - the Stones last night at O2 - and got great pix - sharp with good colour balance. But it's big and bulky and could be easily spotyted by security.
When I use a compact Lumix the shots always turn out a bit blurred or the subjects are blanched out because of harsh spotlights.

I used a Fujifilm Finepix F700, which certainly isn't anything special. Like Simon, I pointed, clicked and hoped for the best!

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: October 30, 2009 00:52

The Daily Telegraph hated the Glasgow show. The reviewer was just nasty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1598
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home