Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Forum missed encore?
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 9, 2006 08:50

The other night at the Forum, did anyone else think they were open to doing another encore after Satisfaction?

There seemed to be quite a long pause before the lights came up. It crossed my mind that maybe, since they seemed to be having such a good time, that it might happen.

The applause was sustained, but was tapering off. Lots of people were heading for the exits. So without a thunderous response (which the show deserved) they didn't come back.

For a moment seemed to me they might have. Was it just wishful thinking? What do you think?

Re: Forum missed encore?
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 9, 2006 08:55

This happened in Boston one of the nights too. They almost suckered me in to thinking it was going to happen. I should've known better than to get my hopes up, but it was such a good show, and they seemed like they were having a lot of fun, so I thought, maybe. But, alas, no such luck.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: March 9, 2006 09:10

They probably just stopped the caravan to pick up a 12 pack of Forum Dogs on the way out (kinda like Dodger Dogs but a bit more Urban) so they kept the people in their seats a bit longer to not get all that traffic started up too fast.....hell, I don't know, that's MY guess....

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 9, 2006 21:25

They never do any extra encores just because they feel like doing it. The Stones show is a big operation with a large crew that needs to know what is going on. And there are security and transportation logistics. When there is a delay from the final bow until the lights and/or fireworks are on at the end it is simply because they have a delay in getting all the 8-10 cars and vans out of the venue. Due to security they do not turn on the lights and make people know it is over until the band has left the building.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 9, 2006 21:28

the Stones are still in the Limo.....stuck in traffic on the 405 freeway as we type

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 9, 2006 21:30

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the Stones are still in the Limo.....stuck in
> traffic on the 405 freeway as we type

I wonder what CD's in their car CD player.. probably A Bigger Bang.. selfish bastards!!

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 9, 2006 21:37

Reptile Wrote:

>
> I wonder what CD's in their car CD player..
> probably A Bigger Bang.. selfish bastards!!

Actually I'm not sure if they are aware that there is a CD called A Bigger Bang.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 9, 2006 21:39

bv Wrote:
> They never do any extra encores just because they
> feel like doing it. The Stones show is a big
> operation with a large crew that needs to know
> what is going on. And there are security and
> transportation logistics. When there is a delay
> from the final bow until the lights and/or
> fireworks are on at the end it is simply because
> they have a delay in getting all the 8-10 cars and
> vans out of the venue. Due to security they do not
> turn on the lights and make people know it is over
> until the band has left the building.
>
> Bjornulf

I think Mr. B is right here.. they'd have to inform the light crew, sound crew, heck, EVERYONE. They can't just go up there and play another song because they had such a good time. That's SO 1965.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 9, 2006 21:40

they could do an encore.....they just dont want to....you push a few buttons turn a few switches......not that time consuming, considering they had it all dialed in by the end of the show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-09 21:42 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 9, 2006 21:55

but, stranger things have happened. Opener of '99 tour in Oakland saw them do a double encore of Rambler and SFTD - that was NOT planned....

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 9, 2006 21:59

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> they could do an encore.....they just dont want
> to....you push a few buttons turn a few
> switches......not that time consuming, considering
> they had it all dialed in by the end of the show
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/09/06 21:42 by
> Leonard Keringer.

Exactly. I've always thought the whole excuse of "everything is timed to the light show" is lame. Turn on some white lights to light up the stage at the start of the show and other than that don't fool with them until the end as far as I'm concerned. I doubt most people would even notice or care.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 9, 2006 22:19

FYI the security people is actually starting to drill off the front barriers as they play the final encore many times so it is not just up to the band it is the entire operation. Some times I am hanging around talking to friends for say half an hour after the shows and then I see the first two trucks leave with the stage stuff for the next show. The security barriers do not protect once they are dismounted and the encore is done. And there is a curfew which the Stones normally balance their show tight against, with heavy fines if they pass it. Sure they can do any thing they like including playing 25 songs on a night but it is many many years and shows since this happened last time.

Bjornulf

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: March 9, 2006 22:30

At one show in 95 I saw Keith arrive a few minutes before the show. He looked so cool getting out.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: March 17, 2006 15:36

They played all songs that were written on the glass shields next to Charie. It took quite some time indeed before the lights went on.

BTW it was the best show I ever attended. Anyone know if a recording surfaced?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 17, 2006 22:54

Did you miss the very end, after Satisfaction, where George Michael joined them for a torrid version of Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go?

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: March 17, 2006 23:29

Anyone who was stuck in the traffic going to the Forum will know why they kept the lights off longer. They wanted to get the F@#k out of there before the roads got tied up again with all those cars that surrounded the Forum. It took us 2 hours to get from Wilshire and the 405 to the Forum! Missed most of the opening act.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: March 18, 2006 05:28

how pathetic--- a rock and roll band can't play one more song if they feel like it....too much BS involved!!......that is truly sad.....and yes, the forum 06 was one of the best gigs i've ever seen, of 73 stones shows, and one more encore would'nt have killed anyone....'geez........ummm...salt of the earth would have been good....

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 18, 2006 05:39

I don't know if most people are in tune to "the Stones have left the building" mentality, or if they are just sheep (and want to go home), but I thought that the Stones performance that night deserved a longer and louder ovation than they got.

A friend of mine saw them in Long Beach in '72 and swears that the ovation lasted 20 minutes after the show ended. There was no encore, but he claims that people knew that they wouldn't get one. He said the Stones were that good, and the crowd was that blown away.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: March 18, 2006 05:42

listen to that long beach bootleg....pretty damn good performance...

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: March 18, 2006 12:20

Hey Bjornulf: I am still trying to figure out why Keith left the East Hartford venue on 8/26/05, do you know? I saw him get into a van at about 5:30 pm and and empty van and his van took off. I think I was the only non-staff person to be in the area snooping around at the time. He was back less than an hour later in time to do the soundcheck.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1517
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home